Enemy Skins?

Discussion in 'Skins' started by yerffej, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Jcogginsa

Jcogginsa Level 3: Paratroopa

hows about pokemon ?
    Parasect for goombas
    Turtwig for koopas
    Tentacool for bloopers
    Goldeen for cheep cheeps
    Marowak for hammer bros
    Landorus for lakitus
    Omastar for spinies
    Shuckle for buzzy beetles
    Carnivine for piranha plants
    Magnemite for bullet bills
    Groudon for Bowser

2. ketchupninja

ketchupninja Level 9: Spike Top

IDEA:
    Simon's axe act like Hammers right? So, what about a skin of
    Simon as a hammer Bro!Hammer bros that look like Simon....*daydreams*

3. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

But Hammer Brothers have only 4 sprites! Which ones from Simon would you choose?

4. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

This is getting off topic, but one idea could be to give him the other Hammer Bros. variations for colors and attacks. (Boomerang Bros, Fire Bros, Sledge Bros, Sumo Bros, etc.) Maybe Chomp Bro. could be the whip?

5. insaneninja

insaneninja Level 6: Lakitu

never gonna play with the same skins again

6. ChozoBoy

Things have been slow here lately, so I thought I'd make a new skin.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thought these choices from the Kid Icarus game went pretty well. Hope I'm not doing stuff that's already been done by the artist that is working with Jay. I used a crushed Goomba sprite for the Shulm death. Got most of the iconic enemies in that fit. Didn't animate the fireballs or add the alt palettes, but you get the idea. I think that other players that have beaten this game too will dig this one.

Edit: The SMB3 squashed Goomba might work better? Your choice. Didn't think of it until just now.

7. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

That looks like a pretty well-made skin.

8. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

Excuse me?

9. ChozoBoy

Sorry, I didn't recall seeing that. I did mine without editing the sprites or their aspect ratios, though. Several of yours are awfully squashed or stretched while others are modified. I prefer to keep it closer to the game so that it feels like the player is up against the same foes and not squished versions of them or invented animations.

10. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

But you aren't up against the same enemies, so it's kind of pointless. It may not look like it, but ingame you will notice the difference.

Rey D likes this.
  11. Rey D

Patron

I agree with Scorpion42. You should port your skin to Sonicboll to test it.

insaneninja likes this.
  12. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Which is what I'm doing right now.
    And have been doing for a few minutes.

Rey D and insaneninja like this.
  13. CHAOS_FANTAZY

Well, at the time, I thought the enemy's hitboxes would stay the same. Of course, I now know that I am probably wrong.

There are not-bad things about yours; there are not-bad things about mine. My main irk is Eggplant Wizard being Lakitu. Honestly, I think they both need work.
    Also, next time, don't forget your transparent background~!

Scorpion42 likes this.
  14. ChozoBoy

Yeah, I've been under the impression that the hitboxes were everything not in the alpha channel (I've said this before, but the program I'm using doesn't have one).

As far as EW and the Reaper, I really like the Reaper's behavior in Kid Icarus and wanted to get all of his animations in, not scale him, and include the Reapettes. I think they'll look really good as Hammer Bros. They were the "hard-to-pass" enemy in the game, while EW was the annoying one that required to to head back after you took a stray eggplant in a bad spot. I think the personalities fit the characters I chose well, though I suppose it could use something to fly on top of? There is space but Lakitu is pretty high on the screen. I hadn't considered it until now, but I'll look into it.

(Edit: Zeus's Monolith? Also, I can't wait to see Zeus as Toad with the Icarus level skin. If Lost Levels content is added, I hope the God of Poverty is the Poison Shroom, too.)

Regarding your choices, I'm surprised that you didn't include Shemum. I was wrestling with myself not to include it as a Goomba, since they are by far the most common enemy. Then I remembered the pots that they spawn from and added the Syren form as a subtle allusion to Medusa. Centurions are a weird inclusion, considering they are helper characters. That might be awkward if Pit was added in SMBC with them.

15. Rey D

Patron

What's this about hitboxes? ._.

16. Anter

Anter Level 5: Spiny

I upgraded your skin:
    [​IMG]

And I made two skins:
    1. Kirby's Adventure
    smbcenemysheetkirby.png
    2. Super Mario USA
    smbcenemysheetsmusa.png

Attached Files:

Scorpion42 likes this.
  17. ChozoBoy

On the thread regarding the idea of Kirby as a character, there was a discussion about which Mario enemy should give Kirby which power. I had this to say about it:

18. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Looks good! I would rather keep the swimming metool for the blooper, though.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  19. ChozoBoy

I know you have the Paratroopa thing working for it, but I'd reconsider using Met for the Buzzy Beetle, if possible. They both have the same Japanese name, "Metto" referring to "helmets." It would be cool if that was worked in, but if not...

20. CHAOS_FANTAZY

Met, Metool, Mettaur, Metto, the guy has too many names to be correcting someone about it. Met's a grunt of many colors, and being used as the Koopa proves that well.

And a couple notes about that spritesheet:
    - Pipi actually rains enemies on you from above. If nothing else, make Spiny Egg Pipi Egg.
    - That P-Plant makes no sense to me. How about them bear-trap-things from Hard-Man?
    - Those aren't the bullets that Fire-Man shoots! At least recolor one or the other so they share a palette...

I've only made it to level 3 in Kid Icarus, but I know Death as the guy who's invincible and who you're going to be royally screwed over if you run into. Hence, Spike Top.
    My main irk with E-Wizard being Lakitu is that, yes, he's just sorta walking on air and he has no real animation to attack with.
    I made Centeurions Cheep Cheeps with level 2-3/7-3 in mind--those guys are gonna fly up out of the water and attack whoever--honestly, a little akin to Pit's Final Smash. Like I said, only level 3, I thought they might actually attack you in this game.
    Whatever. Anyway, I didn't include Shemum because I saw the Mushroom-thing and thought, "Goomba." Also, I found myself unable to compare it to something else in SMB.

Well, like I said, both designs need improvement and don't forget your transparent BG next time.