Enemy Skins?

Discussion in 'Skins' started by yerffej, Feb 17, 2011.

1. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I wasn't correcting anyone. If you read the post, you'll see I was making a comparison between the names.

Death is not invincible. As a matter of fact, I make a habit of killing Death every time I come across it in my runs, despite the trouble of the Reapettes. Shemum is easy to compare to Koopa, not that you'd need to. They even have the same goofy face. I also explained the lack of alpha channel in the other post that you apparently glossed over.

If you really have a problem with me not editing the sprites to bits like yours, here is an alt version of EW. He could stand taller, but I left him at exactly Lakitu's height, in case there was trouble with him intersecting the text on top of the screen.

[​IMG]

2. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

Well, if they have so many names, it can be difficult to compare them.
    Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that Mets come in all sorts of different ways--Hider Mets, Walking Mets, Dancing Mets, Scuba Mets, Propeller Mets, Space Mets, Train Mets, Camo Mets, Met Daddy...there are lots of Mets, and keeping him as Koopa is a good way to display at least a few of them.

They aren't? LEARNING NEW THINGS EVERY DAY. Well, I once stood there and fired, like, twenty arrows into him when I first encountered him (Yes, he wasn't raging and they were doing damage). If he was killable, he certainly wasn't worth it to me.
    I thought Shemum would be a little too small and frankly annoying to hit. Even if I wanted to make him the Koopa, I wouldn't know how--I don't have that little Pot sprite that you do.
    Your software can't make transparent backgrounds? No problem, neither could mine at first. Pick up a software called Paint.NET. It's got a lot of advanced features like that, but its interface is very clean. Also, I didn't know that alpha channel was another name for transparency.

We went over this; I edited the sprites so that they felt more appropriate. Even given the knowledge that hitboxes will be changed, I'd still stretch out that P-Plant and maybe the Blooper so that they aren't overly small and annoying to hit.
    Also, that edit of Eggplant Wizard is a bit more reasonable. I still don't like him being a Lakitu, but at that point, it's down to opinions.

3. ChozoBoy

One man's small and annoying to hit is another man's small and easy to not get hit by. I would argue that skin size/shape variation is fine. It just makes for varied gameplay.

I'm working on another set that might be Namco or just non-Nintendo arcade if I can't fill it. I'm using the NES sprites from those games, however. Should be able to edit it in after I wrap it up, shortly.

Edit: Ok, here it is. Not 100% finished because I wanted some input. I'm only familliar with most of these games and not all of them, like usual.

[​IMG][​IMG]

This selection includes Galaga, Galaxian, Pac-man, Pac-mania, Mappy, Dig-dug, Splatterhouse, and Bad Dudes. All NES Namco games. I'm open to suggestions on this one and wasn't sure what to do about the boss. I offered up two suggestions. I'm just noticing that this pumpkin Splatterhouse boss fits too, but I'm not familiar with the game. Maybe a Namco fan can finish this for me? Gave it my best. I was going to include the ship from Xevious as a Hammer Bro, but it wasn't on NES and had more colors than I think would have been allowed. Galaxian works in its place.

4. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Looks like no-one's seen my question.
    I need to know where you've got the information hitboxes would change with the graphics.

Until no one says where it's from, I'm gonna consider there aren't any (to argue↓).
    Skins are graphical changes which replace the original graphics. It's just something to SEE. The physics are still the same. It's like you put a paper of a heart in front of a bear trap: you see a heart but there's still the bear trap. If the hitboxes were really about to change with the graphics, it could be possible to make some thing awfully hard/easy to hit.
    For example, Bill is slighty too tall, but he still can clear 1-4 with no collision problems. This means where he touch/is touched is not really his graphics. Another example is Simon. When he crouches, he can dodge Bowser's fireballs which are at height 2. But the graphics show them going through his head. This means Simon's hitbox is a bit below.

Scorpion42 and roman6a like this.
  5. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

You'd have to ask Jay how the skinning system works (until it gets released), but I would assume it doesn't affect hitboxes. Good thing, too, as messing with them could potentially screw up the gameplay. It's up to the skin-makers to make sure their sprites make sense with the existing hitboxes.

6. ChozoBoy

Two people said in the last page, including myself that they have not heard any source. I got the impression that they were variable because otherwise Koopa, Paratroopa, Blooper, Hammer Bros, and Piranha Plant would be colliding significantly higher than their sprites. Looking around now, I found that Jay said that they are the same, which might suggest that it isn't too important that they fit perfectly? The above mentioned enemies allow for some pretty tall characters, so I don't know. He's played with the skins and I haven't.

Either way, I made a skin this morning for fun with small characters. If it plays OK, then the skin system is more versatile than it could otherwise need to be. If it plays like crap, the offending sprites can be replaced with other characters that didn't make the sheet. I was just pushing it to an extreme, so I'll share anyway.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

And I would like to know where you got the "max five colours allowed" thing from.

The game is coded in Flash. The engine is more than capable of handling a few more colours. And if it's cleverly done, like with Mega Man, then nobody's going to care anyway.

8. Rey D

Patron

In fact, the limit is 4 colours. It's in the case we wanna stay in truly 8-bit NES graphics (and Mega Man is, with Bill, a special case).

9. TheomanZero

If you want to do that, then more power to you. But it's not a requirement. People can use plenty of colors if they so desire.

10. Scorpion42

Whatever, the point is, that they won't decline an entry, just because it has more colours than allowed by the NES.
    And even though Bill and Mega Man are special cases, they still fit in, right?.

11. Rey D

Patron

I was just poiting what the color limtation was. I didn't say limit breaks wouldn't be allowed.

12. TheomanZero

Just wanted to make sure we didn't scare off any potential skin-makers who might have thought NES-accuracy was required.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  13. Scorpion42

The only part of the reply that was an actual reply was "Whatever" The rest was directed at those who did say that.

14. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I have a suggestion: A colorized version of Super Mario Land.

15. powergo

powergo Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

16. TheomanZero

Well, that was unnecessary.
    I suppose that B&W SML would be good for retro value, but I think there's room for a colorized version as well. We don't want to value nostalgia over actual quality, here.

insaneninja and Mitewing like this.
  17. Rey D

Patron

Speaking about colorized Super Mario Land, I saw a thead about the Super Game Boy for SNES, or something like that.

18. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

nsmb.png
    The Koopas were ripped by Ragey. The Goomba ripper didn't say who he/she was. The sprite sheet I took the Koopa from makes you put the Paratroopas together yourself. I don't know how to do this - can someone do it for me?
    I also made a NSMB tileset for Sonic Boll (with a bit of help from ReNeX). Check it out on the Sonic Boll thread.
    I'll make a skin for Mario too.

Rey D and Anter like this.
  19. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

I'm pretty excited to see what the game will look like with all these different enemies in it.

For now, hit boxes will not change with skins, but in the future, I'm hoping to let each skin have its own hit boxes.

ChozoBoy and Mitewing like this.
  20. Scorpion42

Invisibility mode, OH BOY
    Oh great, we'll soon see skins that are too small to hit, but still perfectly able to kill you.