Enemy Skins?

Discussion in 'Skins' started by yerffej, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Anter

Anter Level 6: Lakitu

It's cool! Thanks for lava, water and skeleton fish! What about merging our versions?

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Then you should move to Sonicboll, guys. I'm sure ReNeX would love to see those! :)

3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Good point. Anter, the conversation continues on the Sonic Boll thread.
    EDIT: Ah, so you already moved it, did you, Rey? I'll post it there anyway.

4. Anter

One more colored skin of another Game Boy game, Super Mario Land 2:
    [​IMG]

Mitewing likes this.
  5. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Why is Bowser that common enemy?

6. Faruga

Patron

Oi, I was gonna do that! But still, you used more enemies...

7. Anter

I'll change it to Tatanga soon!

Scorpion42 likes this.
  8. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I can't say that the fan-colorations really grab me, as someone who grew up with the games on Game Boy Color/Super Game Boy. Why not use the actual colors that people would remember?

9. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I like the colorizations myself, but I guess the Super Game Boy colors could be another option for people who want to sacrifice quality for nostalgia.

10. Scorpion42

The Super Game Boy isn't nostalgic?

11. Faruga

Patron

He meant they could choose between quality (fan) or nostalgia (SGB).

12. Scorpion42

Oh whoops.

13. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I don't like speaking for other people, but from what I've seen, Jay only really sacrifices nostalgia for functionality. The "quality" label you're slapping on is pretty subjective and heavy-handed, too.

14. TheomanZero

Er, I wasn't accusing Jay of anything. I don't see what he has to do with this, actually. I was just snarking at you for preferring sprites that only have different shades of one hue to custom ones that actually look very nice, apparently on the basis of nostalgia.
    I fall into the nostalgia trap sometimes, but I know objectively that nostalgia is stupid, and clinging to it inhibits progress.[/soapbox]

15. Scorpion42

It's a video game, not politics

16. TheomanZero

It's just kind of a pet peeve of mine, I guess. I also thought Chozo Boy was being rude by preferring what amounts to an electronic paint-by-number to Anter's actual effort.
    Super Game Boy was nice when it was all that was available (and occasionally they put real effort into it, like Donkey Kong '94), but once the Game Boy Color came out, that was way better, and Anter's colorizations look to me like what theoretical Game Boy Color versions of the SML games would have looked like.

17. Scorpion42

I have the Game Boy Color and Super Mario Land 2. No matter what colorization I choose, it always seems off.

18. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Well, no. The Game Boy color had a limited palette for the whole game. I'd say his recolorization looks more like NES.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  19. TheomanZero

I meant a version actually made for the Game Boy Color, not one of the colorization options. Like if the SML games had gotten the Link's Awakening treatment.

20. Scorpion42

Yeah, I was replying to the "Super Game Boy was good, but Game Boy Color was way better" part.