Extra Mario Bros; a Skin Set

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Superjustinbros, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Superjustinbros

Superjustinbros Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Hey everyone.

So I was thinking of constructing a map skin based around the quite well-known SMB1 ROM hack Extra Mario Bros, a hack that plays very similarly to Metroid with it's very non-linear gameplay style and upgrades system.

Some time ago I ripped nearly every tile from EMB for the Mari0 community and had since then also ripped the ? blocks and extracted the enemy graphics via YY-CHR.

I was considering making this into a skin for SMBC, and if I do go through with it, it'd be my first major skin contribution (aside from SMBS PC-88).

Attached Files:

2. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

I say this is an incredibly perfect idea, and I would've done it had I been able to even run the damn thing.
    You should totally go for it.

Superjustinbros likes this.
  3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Go ahead! :D

4. Superjustinbros

After a few minutes: Area 1.
    EXMarioSMBCArea1.png
    Areas 2, 3, 4, 5, ?, and SP are planned.

Mitewing, Nat and MissingNo2 like this.
  5. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Thank you for reminding me I need to try this again

6. Superjustinbros

You can contribute to certain aspects of the project; I wanted it to be more of a group thing.

7. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Oh well when you put it that way.[​IMG]
    Here's a fairly comfortable start on the map skin. I'd have a bit more if I could make a single lick of sense out of that spriteset up there.

8. Superjustinbros

Off to a good start. I'll work on fixing any flubs and adding more to the skin. I do like the idea of making the background plants from Area 2 the vines.

As for the player skin, it's SML2 Mario but with a different color palette, though I'm sure a lot of us know. :)

MissingNo2 likes this.
  9. Superjustinbros

If anyone here happens to use the Mac OSX version of NEStopia, I have a bit of a treat for you.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/lfubbt5fv4cp1la/Extra_Mario_Bros_MACOSXSave.zip
    This savestate will get you all six upgrades and all eight keys in possession, along with most of the hidden 1UPs in the game.
    Also, a map. Not a perfect 100% accurate layout to what's actually in the game, but unlike the official maps, this one maps out the secret rooms and locations of keys and upgrades.
    http://i.imgur.com/JMwCf.png