Extra Ultimate Speedrun

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by uglyrodent, Feb 26, 2012.

1. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Updated version of my older Ultimate Speedrun Challenge.
    Rules:
    -Beat as quickly as possible. All time is counted from when the first level card appears to when you stop in front of Peach. I know this adds a lot of time technically spent not playing, but those are the rules. Plus it means dying is a lot more inconvenient
    -No warp pipes. Yes, it's a speedrun, but it's meant to be a speedrun THROUGH THE WHOLE GAME. Underground passages and coin heavens are still okay.

Settings:
    -No specific characters required
    -Enemy skins must be set to Insvisible
    -I would advise against having the SNES music on, as it can cause lag ad this would fuck up your time. Your call though
    -Other settings can be changed at the players discretion

Cheats:
    -Invincible MUST be on
    -Infinite Lives MUST be on
    -Water Mode MAY be on
    -Infinite Time MAY be on. You should be beating them quick enough (due to it being a speedrun) that you won't need more time, but if you want to turn it on go ahead.
    -Classic Samus MAY be on.
    -Classic Simon MAY be on.
    -Classic Screen Scroll MAY be on.
    -No other cheats may be on.

Modes:
    -You may only use Single Character or Single Character Random

This challenge is intended to simulate running through the game without the enemies there, hence turning on invincibility and making them invisible. Mario and Luigi will still be able to vault off them, of course, but you'll have a harder time doing it on purpose. :p

When you post your score, post:
    -Time
    -Mention if Water Mode was turned on
    -Character used (if you played Single Character Random, post "Random" or a question block or something)
    -Post a video if you want, but it isn't necessary.

sbq92 and Rey D like this.
  2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

We really do need another subforum for challenges.

uglyrodent likes this.
  3. ZeroEdgeir

ZeroEdgeir Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I think that while you may allow Water Mode as a choice, it shouldn't be for Sophia. Sophia moves faster in water than on land (and anyone else), and has the full range of movement like Mario and Luigi do too. But, that is just my personal opinion.

uglyrodent likes this.
  4. uglyrodent

This is a valid point, but I considered that, which is why you have to mention your character and whether Water Mode was on or not.

5. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

What about the Classic cheats for Samus and Simon?

Also, I know you permit it, but just to say, I like to use the Infinite Time cheat for the purpose of not having to wait for the clock to run down and to avoid potential fireworks, all of which add to your speedrun time.

uglyrodent and Rey D like this.
  6. uglyrodent

Heh, I always forget those are cheats cause I tend to think of them as settings >_>

Classic Samus, Simon, and Screen Scroll may all be on. Gonna edit the OP.

7. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

28:09
    Water Mode OFF
    :link:

Notes:
    1. Used :dtmf: to gain some little time (if it really does). Probably the kind of thing forbidden, as the purpose of this challenge is ignoring ennemies. It wasn't precised if it was allowed or forbidden, though.
      However, the time gained with this was largely wasted by the following point:
    2. Died 4 times from falling in pits.
    3. Got accidentely a mushroom.

8. Rey D

Patron

27:50
    Water mode OFF
    :ryu:

Notes:
    • Died once.
    • Animal Crossing music playing instead of in-game musics.

9. Rey D

Patron

33:45
    Water mode OFF
    :bill:

Notes:
    1. Very Easy mode for easy enemy killing. Choice explained in point 3.
    2. Blindly wasted time collecting powerups for point 3.
    3. Killed Bowsers to gain time from not destroying castle bridges.
    4. Even though the theory was good, the application sucked. Died 2 or 3 times. Once in 8-2, once in 8-4, losing powerups.

10. ZeroEdgeir

Character: :ryu:
    Time: 26:15.7
    Water Mode: OFF

Notes:
    Very Easy Mode for slightly larger platforms in some places.
    Did grab a mushroom by accident at one point.
    Had a couple small hangups on walls. Oh, and did the first "maze" part of 7-4 backwards to had to re-run that.

11. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Man, I hate dying on these runs. For me, if I die, the run is a bust. Even if I die at the last lava pit in 8-4, that's it, the run is over.

Also, Ryu is very clingy. He grabs onto everything. I know he's supposed to work this way, and normally it's no problem, it's just annoying when you're trying to zip through the game and he keeps latching onto everything he touches.

TheomanZero and uglyrodent like this.
  12. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I know what you mean. Actually, I made a few suggestions relating to that here:
    http://www.explodingrabbit.com/forum/threads/refinements-to-ryus-movement.14457/

sbq92 likes this.
  13. ZeroEdgeir

Same with me. 1 death = failed run. My last attempted run sucked, cause I was on like 6-1 when I died as Bass. And being at 6-1 with only 15min spent was kinda cool. I may macro his dash to a separate button on my gamepad to make it easier to use.

And yes, Ryu is a clingy bastard. Especially annoying if he attaches to a wall you try to jump, cause you hit it just low enough and didn't clear it as planned.

sbq92 likes this.
  14. Rey D

Patron

That's why I usually watch out my every movement with Ryu, so I don't lose too much time on this.

15. Rey D

Patron

31:38
    :simon:
    Water mode off

Notes:

Stupid video:

aliceandsven and uglyrodent like this.
  16. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Time: 29:26
    Water Mode: OFF
    Character: :?:

uglyrodent likes this.
  17. aliceandsven

Well umm... which character was it?

18. uglyrodent

Random.

19. aliceandsven

it's kind of hard to judge the time if we don't know what character turned up

20. uglyrodent

I guess so. But them's the rules.