Verifying Firebars spinning incorrectly

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by TiagoDu, Apr 29, 2013.

1. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

I know this is a little nit-picky, but it's a bug anyway.

The firebars spin in a strange manner, as if they were a single object, not like many little fireballs (like in the SMB series) This makes the graphics jagged and aliased (A.K.A Ugly)

This may be because of engine limitations, but if possible, you could try making an axis and aligning the various little balls/fire/whatever sprites that are composing the firebar in an axis and spin the axis, keeping the sprites straight. This way it would be much more better looking and akin to the original SMB firebars. ;)

Faruga, uglyrodent and Omicron like this.
  2. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

This might come in handy.

PHP:
    xx=x
    yy
    =y
    xf
    =8*cos(angle*pi/180)
    yf=8*-sin(angle*pi/180)
    repeat (6) {

draw_sprite(spr_fireball,image,xx,yy)

xx+=xf yy+=yf
    }
    Every 6th then 7th frame the firebar turns an additional 11 degrees, so it turns on frames 6-13-19-26-32 etc.

3. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Actually it was like that in the earlier versions. It wasn't until 2.0 that this 'bug' happened.

4. TiagoDu

Really!? Well, i want the old firebar then. It's better looking! :p

5. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Are you sure about this? I don't know why it would change, unless Jay had to do something different in order to account for skins.

Rey D likes this.
  6. uglyrodent

I'm almost positive about this, but if anyone wants to verify it with an older version (I can't cause I'm not at my own computer right now) that would help settle this.

7. Omicron

As far as I know, firebars have been rotated like that ever since.

I know because it was one of the things I noticed wrong with it on my only game-over run.

8. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

[​IMG]

MissingNo2 likes this.
  9. TiagoDu

This...proves it...?

10. Omicron

That

is now but a caricature of a sprite rip drawn by a kid who is stupid! #referenceget

11. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I just checked and firebars did move very slightly jerkily in the original SMB. Check the bottom of the sheet I posted. It's got firebar sprites.
    Also did I mention 5-4?
    Original vs. Crossover

Develon likes this.
  12. Develon

Develon Level 5: Spiny

bison.PNG YES!! YES!!
    I always knew they moved different! I always tought it was one of the only differences between SMBC and SMB itself! Personally I'm a nitpicky motherf*cker, so I really hope they get corrected someday.

13. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

So . . . the difference is that the firebars move more smoothly in SMBC? And people want to change them so they're jerkier?

I understand the desire for faithfulness, but if you specifically want to make something worse, that's taking it too far.

14. TiagoDu

Read the first post
    I want it to be smooth, but the firebar move as it was a single image, leaving a jagged image, and not many little sprites on an imaginary axis like it was on SMB.

15. uglyrodent

Yeah the turning speed is fine in SMBC but the point is the sprites rotate (which the NES can't do) as one big bar rather than a series of separate sprites each moving in a circle.

Omicron likes this.
  16. Omicron

They aren't just rotating in unfaithfully smooth steps, the individual fireballs are also rotating unfaithfully.

Screenshot_1.png
    I have posted code that mimics SMB in my first post here.

17. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Okay, I apologize for my misinterpretation. I would approve of fixing the individual fireballs, but not of making the animation jerky.

18. Omicron

Make it an option ;)

19. Develon

Develon Level 5: Spiny

I think they should be jerky because it would represent part of the limitations of the NES.

Omicron and MissingNo2 like this.