Request Firebrand

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Urutsune, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Urutsune

Urutsune Level 6: Lakitu

This is a thread for the character Firebrand from the Ghosts 'N Goblins series.
    Firebrand is a red arremer who is the star of his own series which is part of the Ghosts 'N Goblins series. He has 3 games: Gargoyle's Quest (Game Boy), Gargoyle's Quest II (NES), Demon's Crest (SNES)
    Firebrand fights using long range attacks and posses nice set of abilities.

Abilities:

Hover - Firebrand can hover using his wings by pressing jump button during a jump which allow him stay in air. He can move left and right as well as able to attack during hover but he can't get any higher. If you press jump during hover he will stop hover and start to fall down. You may press jump button again to start hover again. His hover is limited by wing strength so you can't stay in air as long as you want. Though during the game you can gather upgrades for your wings allowing you to stay in air longer til you reach unlimited hover time in the very end. Because of this there is no real specific wing strength for Firebrand since it can improve to any power.
    Wall Cling - Firebrand able to stick the wall. During wall cling he can attack. If you jump during wall cling Firebrand jumps up from the wall. Wall cling can be used to get to higher places by keep jumping off from the wall. When stick to the wall Firebrand's wing strength also regenerate.

Firebrand posses several different breath attacks what you can get in the game...

Breath abilities:

Fire - His basic default move. It is weak and you can only shoot one at the time.
    Magic Buster - Stronger attack which can be used to defeat even armored enemies who's are otherwise immune to your attacks. In the gargoyle quest games it can also destroy some walls. You can shoot two at the time.
    Magic Claw - A powerful attack. You can shoot two at the time. In the gargoyle quest games if you hit a spiked wall with it, it can create a safe small platform over it.
    Magic Tornado - You can create a small tornado in front of you and you can stand on it and use it as a platform to reach otherwise unreachable ground, though you can't use the tornado to damage enemies. You can have two tornado shot out at the same time. With the tornado you can basically reach any height at all.
    Darkfire - Firebrand's ultimate way most powerful attack. It is much stronger then his other attacks but you can only shoot one at the time.

We also need some skin possibilities for Firebrand since many may not be sure what he could have so here is a few sure ones to help.
    White Arremer (8-bit) - red arremers have the ability to go berserk and become whitish/greyish what suppose to make them a lot more aggressive.
    Legendary Gargoyle (16-bit) - This suppose to be Firebrand's real full power form.
    Here is a official artwork picture of legendary gargoyle to help portrait making for this skin, it's a hard to find picture that's why I share it
    [​IMG]
    Ultimate Gargoyle (16-bit) - This is the form when he mastered all of his powers. It actually looks the same as the legendary gargoyle just different colored.

Here is a final summary of Frieband's pros:
    -He has a truly unique set of abilities. Making him a very fun and unique character.
    -All of his abilities can be putted into SMBC. Some of his breath attacks may not have all of their features but they are still reasonable and have their own good points why you may want to have it.
    -Both Firebrand's wing strength and jump height is something what slowly improve in the game making them not specific and easily can be whatever work out best for SMBC and the character will still remain true to it's self.
    -He appeared in a NES, Game Boy and SNES game making every required console for skins.

The only problem with Firebrand is that the magic tornado was not in the game boy game so that needs to be made. But it really just a small tornado so it is really nothing special.

Finally here is a video of some basic gameplay with Firebrand in case it might be hard to imagine what the basic moving around is like with Firebrand.

Hope this explains and gives everything needed about Firebrand and can show why Firebrand would be a really great choice for SMBC.

Mitewing and Boomgoestherabbit like this.
  2. Boomgoestherabbit

Boomgoestherabbit Level 1: Goomba

I would enjoy this.What about a Earth Gargoyle skin?

3. Urutsune

Earth Gargoyle has no wings. The skin must be able to cling to walls and able to fly. Aerial Gargoyle gargoyle is no good since it can't cling and the TIdal Gargoyle is no good since it can't fly or even cling. Because that mainly why only I said Legendary and Ultimate Garogoyle.

4. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I suppose for SMBC, we don't want the gameplay to be too varied. It's probably best to base Firebrand on his first two games rather than Demon's Crest, but we might be able to sneak in Legendary Gargoyle since it's just an upgrade of his normal form.

5. Urutsune

That's actually what I thought too. I don't see really any problem with Legendary Gargoyle.

6. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Awesome thread. It answers many questions I had. I do have a couple though. How does his wing strength and jump height increase in the game and how would it be incorporated in SMBC? Also can he only have one attack at a time or can you switch between them after you collect them?

7. Urutsune

Well as you progress in the game you collect or get rewarded with some kind of item which boost one of your ability. They are really just handed to you as your progress so you not collect them on stages or anything. To be correct the items are really more like just handed to you so you not find them on stage or anything. Even otherwise they are more just iconic as you collect it as what really happens is that your specific ability levels up. In game your Jump, Wing and Health have levels and as you progress they grow higher and higher making you getting always stronger a little. The gargoyle quest series mixes RPG and platformer so there are elements like that in it. That's why I said the jump and wing could be made to any for Firebrand as he has no specific power for them.
    For attacks in game you actually can switch between them as you learn the attacks in the game. You can switch to a different attack in the game any time. Though I was thinking that in SMBC you could have example the Magic Tornado on the special button once you get it to make things more fun for Firebrand. In the game you have to switch to it to use it but we are not forced to do such in SMBC. For SMBC I think the attacks you find could work as like how Bill finds weapons but I guess you could also learn them but then it's hard to tell what would you get from powerup hiding questionblocks once you have everything. You see there is really only one collectible item in the Gargoyle Quest games what is vials, you can trade those in for extra lives(they are basically currency in the game). I don't think we could really use vials for SMBC.

8. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

How many levels for the wing strength and jump height were there?

9. Urutsune

Honestly I have no idea. I have played since a very very long time so I don't remember such detail since I never really looked at such things. I think it should be at least 6. I don't know really, I would need to beat the game to be able to tell.

10. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I think it was more like four. And when you said it "should" be at least six, I hope you didn't mean for SMBC because that would be way too many.

11. Urutsune

Naw man you actually only 4 before you can even get the Magic Claw. Also as I said in the first post Firebrand have no specific jumping and wing strength, you level them up. You could take the max for SMBC but that is very way too much. Due to the jump and wing is not specific and the max is way too much they can be just made to be whatever works out best and makes Firebrand most fun.