Request Free powerup at 100 coins instead of a 1-up?

Discussion in 'Features' started by BTB, Sep 11, 2013.

1. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

I'd like to see an option for this. Ever since 2.0, I spent a lot of time playing on Survival mode (see my other thread), and one thing about it that I particularly liked is that the "1-up" at 100 coins essentially translated into free power-ups. Especially when you're playing a random (or all characters) game and focusing on more than just a few characters, free powerups are much more attractive than a free life, and it makes coin collecting actually worth it.

Somewhat-related, I'm trying to figure out what exactly determines which power-ups you lose if you get hit now. Is there a rhyme or reason to it? Same thing for what power-ups come back when you get a mushroom. If there are any specifics to this, it'd be nice to see on the Wiki page.

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

In World 1-1, there is only one 1-Up Shroom, but 3 power-up blocks. It goes to show how rare lives are, compared to power-ups. Trading the 100 coin lives would only make it worse.
    Moreover, this is Super Mario Bros. Crossover. Your idea straights way too far away from the Super Mario Bros. games.

For what gets lost when you're hit... Well, you keep mostly some small equipements like the Varia Suit, if I remember well.

3. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

Rarity and usefulness are two entirely separate concepts. I imagine many of us end our games with about ten extra lives in stock, and at least half of them came from coins.

Not really, given that this is functionality that's already in the game.

Also understand that the original game had only one playable character with a grand total of two power-ups. SMBC has... a lot more. Any more opportunities to grab them would be welcomed.