Considering Game Modes: Challenge Mode

Discussion in 'Features' started by Anon421, Feb 15, 2012.

?

Insert title for the mode here

1. Bonus Mode

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Challenge Mode

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  3. High Score Mode

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Champion Mode

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Something Else...

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Anon421

Anon421 Guest

I didn't know which title to choose, so I decided to make a poll, where you can choose a (better fitting) title. :)

Anyway, let me present you the Bonus Mode. :) This would basicly be a mode where different types of challenges await you. I thought about something very simple actually that should be easy to implement into SMBC. It's basicly just one level where enemies appear from the left and the right side of the screen. It sounds a little too simplistic to you? Well, if it works, why not? The funny part of it would be the "freedom" to choose different options and challenges.

For example the "High Score Challenge". Enemies appear from the left and the right side of the screen and you just have to beat them. Similar to (the concept of) Tetris, where the speed gets increased after each level, in this mode stronger enemies would appear each time. So lets say it starts with goombas and you have to beat them til you reach... lets say 10000 points. When you get 10000 points, the difficulty increases to Level 2. In Level 2 you have to beat koopas til you get a certain amount of points that increases the difficulty to Level 3. And when you reach the last level (level 10?) cheep cheeps appear. From there on you have to survive as long as possible. The task is to get the highest possible score after all.

Of course we could also add a "Choose Difficulty Level"-option, just like in Tetris. That way you can start the challenge on a difficulty level of your choice, f.ex. Level 8 (difficulty level = enemy level).

Another challenge could be a "Time Attack"-mode of some sort. It would be similar to the "High Score Challenge", but in this one you have to evade the enemies instead of beating them. The task is to evade them as long as possible. Every... lets say 30 seconds the level would be increased. On level 10 you would have cheep cheeps everywhere. Stuff like that.

Anyway, tell me what you think about this idea? I think it could be pretty funny. The remaining question is only if it's possible and how difficult it would be to implement something like this.

VGamer, Frozsoul, Ganymede and 2 others like this.
  2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

This sounds really fun!

Anon421 likes this.
  3. Draken

Draken Level 1: Goomba

I sure love the idea of being able to kick some more enemy asses. I love the idea. However it would most likely take some custom level and that I believe isn't happening any time soon, bud god damn I'd love to have such a mode, or at least the option to have enemies just appear. I would be pleased to play this mode one day.

Anon421 likes this.
  4. Eric Thorstad

Eric Thorstad Level 2: Koopa

Maybe a level that looks just like the old Mario Bros. levels? That would be a lot of fun with all the characters in SMBC.

5. Draken

That's a nice idea, it could be built out of normal bricks except for they couldn't be destroyed so it would be possible to kill enemies like spike tops by hitting the brick above, each stage stronger enemies would appear. :D They would have to move faster than normally though to add some challenge.

Hitting block from underneath would make Koopa Troopas hide in shells and only then it would be possible to push them to destroy them and the butterfly thingies could be replaced with Koopa Paratroopas. Would be pretty sweet. :D

6. Ganymede

Ganymede Level 5: Spiny

Jay has stated that a level editor will be in the last version of the game, and also reconstituted all the levels you see in the game from scratch, so it's certainly not too far-fetched!

I didn't see this touched upon, but I think if such a mode were to be implemented, it would only be fair to start characters off with some powerups, either random or fixed. Maybe the equivalent of two or even three lives worth of an advantage, by Survival Mode standards. I can't decide whether or not it would be more fun to have the character die in one hit regardless of powerups, however.

Anon421 likes this.
  7. Draken

Well it depends on if Jay has allready created some tool for recreating these levels or if he did them some other, more complex way. And anyway, I believe that there is still a few more updates to come before the level editor, perhaps some new characters. Still, having a level editor would make this game immortal.

Well if it was to look like in the original Mario Bros. the POW in the middle could be a question block that... regenerates every half a minute or more and gives power ups. I think that would be a good replacement of the POW block.

Anon421 and Ganymede like this.
  8. sonicmariofan

sonicmariofan Level 3: Paratroopa

in my opinion, i would like to see a multiplayer mode. i think it would be awesome, and maybe you could chat on it to.

9. A.D.A.M.

A.D.A.M. Level 6: Lakitu

I like the idea of having "Mario Bros Crossover", of the classic Arcade game, with all the levels.

10. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

This relates to NOTHING in this thread.
    That would be one level with difficulty perks spiced in occasionally.

11. The Kips of the Mud

The Kips of the Mud Level 3: Paratroopa

MORE GAME IDEAS!

1. DK Crossover
    2. DK Jr. Crossover

12. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I'd like to see DK and DK Jr related enemies and obstacles, since we have some already in the game. The ramps and ladders in DK, along with vines from DK Jr, just to begin with, would be great additions to the Level Editor.

13. MissingNo2

This has NOTHING to do with the thread at hand.

14. The Kips of the Mud

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd?

15. MissingNo2

The New Thread button exists for a reason. This isn't some "plop your random and stupid ideas here" thread.

Faruga likes this.
  16. The Kips of the Mud

kthxbai I'm fed up with Missing Number 2.

17. A.D.A.M.

A.D.A.M. Level 6: Lakitu

Ummm... Yes it does, IMO. We are talking about a challenge mode.

18. MissingNo2

No, you're talking about having different games made with the crossover formula. Kip literally said "game ideas", not "challenge ideas".