General Level Skin Discussion

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Ryuza, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

So, I was wandering around online earlier and came across someones suggestion on the wiki about having alternate versions of stages to match characters so bored as I was put these together:

Blaster Master - Stage 1-1 | Stage 1-2 | Stage 1-3 | Stage 1-4 | Stage 2-2
    Metroid - Stage 1-1
    Mega Man - Stage 1-1
    Castlevania - Stage 1-1
    Zelda - Stage 1-4

Btw, the pics are a bit big.

Made a couple of custom tiles (Pipes/"?"Blocks) that I think look semi-decent given how long they took. Anyway, what do you guys think? I might make a couple more for other chars for the heck of it later.
    Oh, and hello to everyone I guess as this is my first post :p

Here is my skin testing program that automatically tiles out the preview stages with your skins:
    SMBC Auto-Tiler

Unfortunatly the program isn't very cross-platform friendly so you'll need to use windows to run it. Theres a bit of info as to how it all works in the help file which you can open by pressing F1 while using the program. Have fun!

Edit: Lots of additions. Updated the Auto-Tiler.

Edit by Exploding Rabbit: The wiki page for Level Skins is here. Feel free to put all your skins on that page.

Anter likes this.
  2. Richter Belmont

Richter Belmont Level 2: Koopa

... The link doesnt work for me.

3. pinkpuff

pinkpuff Level 3: Paratroopa

It looks awesome!

I really don't think it should be default behaviour, but maybe have a "skins menu" or something so you can, say, play Mario levels that look like Metroid levels while using Simon, or something similar.

4. phurgawtin

phurgawtin Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

That honestly looks fucking sexy as hell. Everything but the flagpole looks perfect (and the regular SMB flagpole can be used there.)

5. Rakashi J

Rakashi J Level 2: Koopa

wow nice looking! and i agree with phurgawtin the flag pole doesnt look right...

6. Please

Please Level 6: Lakitu

Oh, oh, I just thought of something. How does Sophia slide down the flag pole?

But anyway, that looks really cool, but it definitely shouldn't be the default option. Like a previous poster said, it should be in a skins menu so you can mix things up like crazy.

7. Ryuza

A skins menu would be a pretty cool idea, all up to Jay though. As for the flag pole I kinda just put in a random line of blocks cause I was being lazy, kinda like the block gates that open and close in the actual game.

Edit: I changed it to the flag pole with BM colors though.

8. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

As someone on a site I used to visit said...
    "I don't think skins are a good idea. They're a lot of time for not much, if any, reward."

Maybe it wouldn't take that long, maybe, but it would still be weird to see a Goomba walking around in a world built to look like, say, Cut-Man's stage.

9. Ryuza

The reward I guess would be a bit more replay value since people might want to check out how the different versions of the stages look. Anyway though, the work all depends on how Jay made things, if he simply took the background for the stage and added basic preset things like blocks and such then it might not be too hard as he could switch out the background and have the graphics for the blocks based on a certain variable that tracks which is the current skin or something. I'm just kinda doing this for fun though, not really trying to bug Jay into doing anything.

Anyway, fixed the flag pole in the map on the first post.

Edit: 20 more minutes of boredom equals another reskin, this time Metroid :D, check out the first post

10. MeleeShogun13

MeleeShogun13 Level 5: Spiny

all i know is i want to make and see Metroid levels, only levels Samus can play.

11. repairmanman

repairmanman Level 5: Spiny

holy wow, this stuff is amazing
    assuming(because i don't know shit about flash) that he just positioned objects(i.e. at (x,y) have a block) then all he would have to do for a reskin is change all instances of "have a block" to "have a samus block"

i find it doubtful that it's that easy

12. Ryuza

Thanks, only took me about 20 mins a piece and that includes the time spent getting the graphics and looking over maps from the other games to get a basic idea of how things should look. Not sure what should be next though, was thinking of a castlevania version.

13. CHAOS_FANTAZY

Hey, can I try doing Mega Man's World 1-1? Just because I said it would take work doesn't mean it wouldn't be cool...and I'm pretty bored right now.

14. Ryuza

If you want to feel free, you don't really have to ask.

15. CHAOS_FANTAZY

...Hm, that didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. Here's Mega Man's world 1-1, done in the style of Cut-Man's stage. Why Cut-Man? Because for my first try, I didn't want to have to screw around with a backdrop.
    http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/4646/megaworld.png
    Next up...World 1-2, Flash-Man?

16. MeleeShogun13

wow Chaos and Ryuza those look really good! , how can i make a an alternate appearance stage?

17. CHAOS_FANTAZY

One; thanks a lot. I didn't like a couple parts of it that much, like what I made the staircases out of.

Two; what do you mean by that? I took World 1-1 to a Paint document, and started pasting over it, slowly but surely, until it had all the traits of a Mario level filled in with Mega Man graphics. I also did a bit resizing; the brick blocks you see there are shrunk-down versions of the ones you can pick up using Guts-Man's ability.

18. MeleeShogun13

oh, ok i might try, but it wont end up all to good.

19. Please

Please Level 6: Lakitu

You used paint? JEEZ! That must of been painstaking, boring work!

20. CHAOS_FANTAZY

Not really. Find spritesheet, find original level, mass copy-paste. Not that hard or boring, in fact, I rather enjoyed doing that.