General Level Skin Discussion

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Ryuza, Dec 10, 2010.

1. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

If you want to do a Top Man version of a stage, go for it! Heck, I would actually encourage it. :)

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

While tackling an underwater level based on Wily's castle from Mega Man 5 could be interesting, I don't think it's necessary at this point (apart from doing it for fun). Jay wants a basic tileset for each type of level rather than each world, so whatever 2-2 and 7-2 use, all other underwater sub-levels will use the same theme. We could use the Mega Man 5 underwater section (it does look quite cool), but we'll have to decide on that. I personally think Bubble Man's stage is a better option, more or less because it is more iconic. However, if we decide as a community to use Wily's castle from Mega Man 5, we'll put it together.

3. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

So, I finished updating the Auto-Tiler, you can now use it to retile six different example stages quickly and easily, basically you just replace the tiles on the 'ctiles.png' file that comes with the program with whatever tiles you'd like to use in-game, load the program press the "Custom Tiles" button and its done. You can't place your own tiles wherever you like but the main use of the program at the moment is to test out custom tilesheets that would be easily compatible with SMBC. It takes out a lot of the tedious work involved in skinning stages, you can replace the tiles with the program and then take the stage to paint and tweak things as you like.

Pressing space will save the current part of the stage that you're viewing so you can save it piece by piece and put it together for the full stage, left and right navigate through the stages.

You can't load custom backgrounds yet but you can always tile a stage with this and place it over a custom background.

Anyway, download it here if you'd like: Auto-Tiler

Press F1 for help and Esc to exit.

The program comes with 3 other files:
    btiles.png |ctiles.png | BM_ctiles.png

BM_ctiles is a quick example I made, just delete the original ctiles and rename BM_ctiles to just ctiles to see an example of how the program replaces tiles in a stage. Try not to edit btiles as it is the default tileset, if anything happens to either files the program will just create new ones when you start it, so if you mess up a tilesheet just delete it and run the program to recreate it.

If everyone finds the program useful enough I'll most likely add the ability to load custom backgrounds and more stages to skin.

4. sbq92

This is great! I hadn't really used the older version of the Auto-Tiler, so I'm quite enjoying this. I have a question, though. Is this more or less how Jay plans to replace the graphics in each level? If so, the platform theme is going to have to share elements of the normal overworld theme. This is okay, but I figured I'd point it out and check to see if it's the way it will be in the end.

5. Ryuza

Glad to see you're liking it. :)

This is pretty close to the way Jay will replace tiles in-game, he was planning to make it tile to tile replacement as much as possible so basically each tile in Mario will have a corresponding tile from another game. He was planning on adding corners to ground and other objects to allow more detail though, thats why I've already added them into the Auto-tiler.

The end result from using the Auto-Tiler is pretty much the same as what it should look like in the game though, except for a certain objects, enemies, and the background obviously. So if we can get together some tilesheets for each game it will make things really easy for Jay in the long run.

6. sbq92

Hmm... I've discovered one problem: the Auto-Tiler only allows for left edge, middle, and right edge. The middle section is repeated over and over and over until it reaches an edge. The problem with this is that a lot of NES games (including nearly all of the Mega Man games) use two tiles repeated over and over in a 32 pixel width pattern. So, this method for re-tiling will probably end up making a lot of stages look bad... I'm not sure what to do about it at the moment, but I figured I should point it out.

Also...this might be asking a lot, but is it possible to include "upper" and "lower" blocks for the single-square bricks that are used to make steps and such? This would allow for more detail in those as well. I believe all it would need is the distinction between the two, with the "upper" being the very top block, and the "lower" being all blocks below it.

7. Ryuza

I was actually thinking about adding more tiles for use with the step blocks but I hadn't gotten around to it, it shouldn't take long to do so I'll add it later, I've got work pretty soon though so it might not be until late tonight (eastern time). As for the 32 block patterns, I could add the ability to do patterns but it might be a bit of work cause I'll have to retile all the ground throughout the 6 stages. I'll see if I can figure out and easier way later tonight.

Update! - This version has edges for step tiles.

8. sbq92

Thanks for the update, it's great!

I do have one more request though...and this should be the last request. :p Would it be possible to make a separate tree trunk for the small trees (one for each green and white) and a separate fence for the white background (I know it looks the same, but it seems like it'd be minimal effort for more background options)?

As I said, that should be the final request... We'll see, though. :p

9. c2456

c2456 Level 6: Lakitu

I think Ryu's stage in 2-2 should be an underwater version of Act 2-2.

10. Ryuza

Here ya go: Auto-Tiler
    I updated all the old links too with this one.

Anyway, was practically running out the door to work earlier when I posted the first small update, I meant to point out before that there are now tiles with blue boxes around them instead of purple, those are simply to show you what type of them the surrounding tiles are, they aren't used anywhere so don't worry about needing to replace them.

Also, if you'd like to remove a tile simply color the box in with the lighter purple used in the background, by doing that you can make your own custom castle thing at the end of the stage like how I used the BM stage door in the example tiles, not really a big deal but nice to know I guess.

I don't know if I'll be adding the patterns you were talking about before sbq82, I'm trying to make this as compatible with Jay's plan for skins as I can right now, so we'll have to wait and see if anything comes up that might allow something like that in the game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: As you guys have probably noticed we now have a sub-forum for skins :D

Basically I figure what we should do is have everyone post here and decide on one person for each game, that person will create a thread to keep track of and discuss skins for that game, they will also be in charge of updating the first post of that thread as well as the wiki with any new skins and tile sheets. Maybe we could have a separate page of skins/tiles for each game on the wiki since the skins page might start getting a bit bigger. If anyone starts a thread for a game be sure to include the skins for that game so far and some tiles from the game to help people do some skins of their own

I can start the thread for Blaster Master since I've been the main one working on that. I'll also have a separate thread for the Auto-Tiler, so if anyone notices any bugs with it or would like any features added they can do it there. If you need the newest version of the Auto-tiler just check the thread for it.

11. bowsersenemy

bowsersenemy Level 3: Paratroopa

... i beleive i've just found a new time waster. (as if the game itself wasn't bad enough).

i do however have an idea, though i'm not looking for it to be accepted since it's borderline rediculous. since the tiles can be swaped, why not the characters and animations? just an idea.

anyway, i'm going to have to find me some tiles. i'm thinking seriously about doing an SMB2 and SMB3 mod for mario. no one seems to want to mod the man in red, so i guess it's my job. provided mod options are available for the plumber. it's late for me, so i'll look into this in the morning. (YTP reference unintentional.)

12. sbq92

A very good SMB3 1-1 mod was done before, and I thought it was great. It would be kind of nice to allow for different graphics for Mario as well. That would be up to Jay, though. Mario does already have his skin: the default. It would be cool to play with SMB3 graphics, though.

13. bowsersenemy

bowsersenemy Level 3: Paratroopa

actualy, come to think of it, how do i apply these to the game anyway?

edit: first post was rather kind, and made me feel like an idiot. ignore this one please. i now know what i'm doing.

14. sbq92

I think it would be cool to have SMB2j (aka The Lost Levels) graphics incorporated as an alternate skin for Mario to play. Also, this would provide the graphics Jay would need for adding the SMB2j levels to SMBC.

15. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

This shouldn't be a problem. I could have the game swap the tiles depending on the level type.
    I can tell the game to put the tiles in different repeating patterns for each skin if needed. No worries.

Also, judging by the wiki, it looks like we're lacking on skins for Castlevania, Zelda, Ninja Gaiden, and Contra. But you guys will have a lot of time so it's no problem. Also, the new Metroid skins look badass.

And big thanks to Ryuza for updating the Auto Tiler.

16. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I just want to say that I love the fact that this is happening, and I'm excited to see that Jay is working on implementing these skins. Community involvement on such a scale really makes things fun.

I'm not sure if this has been suggested already, but I think it would be cool if SMBC had a means for players to insert their own tile-sets to play with.

17. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

I always design with the future in mind, so as I'm figuring out how to implement these skins, I'm trying to allow for that. I want to make it as easy as possible on the user. Something like that would probably be integrated with the level editor. Tile sets probably won't take up a lot of memory either, so if people make a lot of awesome ones, I can just build them directly into the game. Anything is possible.

18. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

The next version is going to be so bad ass... I really don't mind waiting anymore.

19. sbq92

I don't recall if this idea has come up, but is there going to be the possibility of playing through skinned levels with different characters? Link going through a Metroid stage, for example. I'm assuming it will be as simple as changing an option in the menu (similar to the music options). Is it going to be possible to change graphics mid-stage, or will you have to choose your theme at the beginning of the game?

- Original SMB
    - Character-based (changes each stage depending on the character)
    - Random (changes each stage no matter which character you choose)
    - Fixed (choose from a list, this theme is set for the entire game)
    -> Blaster Master
    -> Castlevania
    -> Contra
    -> The Legend of Zelda
    -> Mega Man
    -> Metroid
    -> Ninja Gaiden
    -> Super Mario Bros.
    -> Custom...

20. Blardow6

Blardow6 Level 1: Goomba

NICE PICTURES!

STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT IT PEOPLE! I think it is nice good job! I think the blaster master one is the coolest,