General Level Skin Discussion

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Ryuza, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Yeah, it will be just like the music options. You'll be able to change mid-stage. I'm also working on making everything in the game skinnable, including enemies and characters. No promises on anything yet, though.

2. pokemondream

pokemondream Level 5: Spiny

what are skins

3. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

I thought the OP explained it, but whatever. A "skin" is a redesign of something, to make it look like something else. This thread is about making the stages of SMBC look like stages from the other character's games.

4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

That sounds like it would be awesome. I have my concerns if it comes to personal customization, but I think the individual character skins could work quite well if done right by the community.

EDIT: I'm doing a lot of brainstorming already for how skinning enemies might work best. I'm thinking of compiling a tileset of enemies based on Ryuza's tilesets for the Auto-Tiler. If this is too far down the line, though, then I won't bother with it yet (even though I want to :p).

Another thing just came to mind. Given the difficulty we're having with even some of the NES skins (Ninja Gaiden, for example), will the existence of skins in the game limit what characters can be added to the game? I'm referring to limiting the game to 8-bit characters, but perhaps even to characters with relatively simple graphics.

5. Jay

Ryuza and I have been working on nothing but skinning lately. I already have the enemy skinning partially working in the game. Theres no need to make any tilesets because I'll provide all of that when I'm ready. I think when we get the first skin into the game I'm going to release an update with a working skin to demonstrate what can be done. Then I'll release a skinning guide. So for now keep doing it like you have been. When we're ready, we'll release the official skinning tools. Basically, I'll post some graphics on the website and all you'll have to do is replace those graphics with your own to make a skin. It will be easy. It's also very easy to set up how enemies can be colored differently on different level types.

Oh, and the way I have it set up, the skin updates instantly in the game. So if you select a new skin in the options, you see the changes instantly. It's badass.

6. let me just say wow. i'm instantly amazed with all of this. all of this stuff has caught me off guard. I was happy and tickled pink when the Ryu update was made. and then. with the Sophia one, BOOM! instant rush of ... goodness. and now. the skins. and what i've seen with the skins.. Oh MY!

I can't express the joys I'm hearing when i read what you say jay. mixed with all the work the community has done... and you saying all the work you've been doing lately is skinning. I'm like OMG! that's so awesome!

I wish I could give you 3 thanks just for the joy you made me feel

7. sbq92

Correct me if I'm interpreting you incorrectly (it's early in the morning), but it sounds like you're saying custom skinning is going to be the way it works from the beginning. That would be pretty awesome!

In any case, though, it sounds great! Do you need more tilesets for the stages done?

8. Jay

Ryuza and I have still been working like crazy on the skins, and we just about have all the templates finalized. It's been extremely difficult to make them because I want them to be compatible with practically any game you could think of. This may in fact be the most challenging thing I've done on the game so far. Almost all the enemy skins are working in the game and we have one character skin in, and it works flawlessly. Also, you're going to be able to choose aspects of skins separately. So for example, you could play with a character skin from one game, while fighting enemies skinned from a different game on a level that is skinned from yet another game. So it's going to be pretty cool.

It's still going to be a while though because once we finalize all the templates I still have to put them in the game. Since the map template is allowing for greater customizability, it changes how the information is used in the game so I have to rewrite some code. I'm not sure how long it will take. But for real, I've been looking at every skin you guys have made and have been trying to make accommodations into the template to make it all possible. Of course, there are some intentional limitations I'm putting into the templates to make the experience the best possible for the player. Too much customizability can be a bad thing and make things confusing, so we're going for the right level of customization. I can't wait until this is done. It's going to really open this game up to lots of new possibilities.

9. sbq92

This sounds amazing. I'm glad you're taking more complexity into account without ignoring the need for ease of use. I'm looking forward to this being implemented!

10. pokemondream

jay when are you're going to put up the skins

11. Jay

When I have everything ready and working. We just finished our first version of the map template. It takes a long time to put it in the game though as I mentioned in my last post. So I'm not sure when it will be.

12. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Any hints as to who the character skin is?

13. Jay

His name is in the title of the game.

Too bad you'll never guess it because no one knows what the game is called.

14. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

You're right. They're a lot of games with a character's name in the title. LOL

15. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Mega Man?
    Mario 2/LL/3/World?
    Can't be anyone else.

16. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

It has to be mega man, proto man, bass, mario, luigi, or link (adventure of link). I'm putting my money on Luigi

17. pokemondream

it could be simon

18. sbq92

I thought Jay was being funny and it's obviously Mario (Super Mario Bros. Crossover...). Maybe I just misinterpreted him... In any case, it can only be Mario or Mega Man, and Luigi has been dying to get in the spotlight for a long time. Mario seems like the obvious choice for testing skins since it's his game to begin with, so I'm going to assume it's Mario anyway. :p I am under the impression, however, that before the next release all of the characters will be skinnable anyway. Perhaps I'm wrong...

Anyway, along with the skins, is custom music going to be an option at some point? I suppose it doesn't matter if it is or not, but it would be a nice feature to include the ability to choose music that matches the stage. For example, using a Wood Man skin and then being able to use Wood Man's music for levels with that skin.

I do understand the difficulty of this, however, given that NSF files are used instead of more readily accessible MID or MP3. A tutorial in obtaining and implementing NSF files would probably be necessary if this feature were to be added.

Anyway, just a thought.

19. Jay

Uh... yeah I thought my answer was pretty obvious. It's Mario. But we're hoping to include at least one alternate skin for each character. I'm just testing with Mario because he's always my test subject since he can run (and it's his game).

Edit: And I'm not sure about the music thing yet. I wish we could use midi for everything since then the file size would be small no matter what system we were using music from and it'd be the same file type. And like sbq92 was saying, it's much more readily available. Something like mp3 would be too big. I searched trying to find midis that sound exactly like the games it's supposed to, but didn't have much luck. But if other people want to search, feel free. Or if someone knows how to create midis that sound exactly like video game music, let me know. If we can open up the music to the community like we are with the graphics, that'd be awesome. I think midi is the only realistic way to do it, but I'm not sure it's possible.

Actually, if someone wants to start a thread about using midi for all the music, that'd be great. It'd give us a lot more possibilities for future expansion. Mainly I need to know if it's possible to convert video game music to midi without being able to tell the difference by ear.

20. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

kyoo and I had an interesting discussion regarding the possibility of user-uploaded skins...
    I have no idea if this makes sense or how much of it does. I don't even have a reason to believe user-uploaded skins will happen. I just thought it might make interesting reading or spark ideas for how to implement it.