General Level Skin Discussion

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Ryuza, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Level 9: Spike Top

Its Mario obviously,I am not that stupid,I am a near Mario fan boy,but I am still more a Sonic fan!

2. Captain Rizer

Captain Rizer Level 5: Spiny

*face palms*

Uhm take a joke will ya?

Anyway, Will the next update have just the skins or a new character?

OR BOTH????????

3. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

This may be a foolish question, and I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but just to be clear, are the level skins going to function the same way as the character/enemy skins? That is, will they essentially need to be "approved" by Jay and/or Ryuza and then implemented?

4. Thunk

Thunk Level 3: Paratroopa

I doubt you will come anywhere close to the original sound of an NES using midi files. You could look at it as NES having a simple synthesizer and midi being another synthesizer with a completely different set of instruments. Also limitations of NES sound hardware gives it a "crunchy" sound that is hard to replicate exactly even with MP3s.

My question to you is why not take advantage of all the hard work you did adding sound emulation and use NSF format files. NSF files would be TINY and sound exactly like the original game. Also there are many tools such as Famitracker to create original music, and NSF files ripped from every nes game ever made are readily available on the internet.

My suggestion is to support NSF, along with whatever formats flash can already natively play, but limit which formats or file sizes you will allow to be integrated into the main game.

5. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Level 9: Spike Top

I know Mr.Rizer,but still,he acts like we are fucking idiots!

6. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Is it a Luigi skin? Because I'd rather have Luigi as he was in the Lost Levels than as a simple skin.

How about you scroll through the skins in the character select screen, with the jump button?

7. powergo

powergo Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Maybe if you change the level skin the main menu would change to to fit into the appropriate game? It would be awesome if you could make it like that so when you change the level skin to, say, meteoroid, the main menu would look like it is from meteoroid as well! Is it a good idea?

Wait, I got an awesome level skin Idea- MUSHROOM KINGDOM APOCALYPSE
    most of the blocks are broken slightly, coins are red, ect.

8. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

The SMB 25th Anniversary Wii came with a special copy of that game installed with a new sprite on the ? Blocks. Could be implemented in a skin.

[​IMG]

9. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

That's an ideal skin.

10. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

THAT THING IS AWESOME

11. roman6a

roman6a Level 8: Hammer Bro

and each coin blocks will give 25 coins? if that happens then... "yes, HELL YEAH THATS AWESOME IM TOTALLY UP TO THAT."

but if its just an skin... "ok, yeah its a good idea."

12. Sergy92

Sergy92 Level 7: Bloober

Yeah. Like the Ring Monitors from the Sonic series.

roman6a likes this.
  13. ChozoBoy

Glad you guys like the idea, but it is just aesthetic for the 25th anniversary. They work the same.

14. Zyborg

Zyborg Level 5: Spiny

The autotiler... it is too big and I can't change the size.

15. FCx

FCx Level 2: Koopa

16. ChozoBoy

Haha, this kind of coloration in a skin would be funny. (Except that the changing wouldn't be possible.) The flags have "JD" on the sprites, too.

17. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu