General Level Skin Discussion

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Ryuza, Dec 10, 2010.

1. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

As far as I can tell, that would be pretty simple: code a graphic for "Brick1," "Brick2," and "Brick3."

Also, our collaborative effort on Heat-Man's stage is up!
    http://www.explodingrabbit.com/wiki/File:Heat_1-4_Final.png

Again, SB, I ask you, why have you uploaded none of your works? I can do it for you if you'd like.

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

That looks great, Chaos!

I don't know why I haven't uploaded any of my works... You can go ahead and do it if you'd like. :p

3. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

You guys are doing great work here. Yes and please upload them all to the wiki. More people will see them there. And I like to go to the page to see all the latest creations. I made a fan sprites page too so if anyone wants to experiment with stuff besides levels then by all means do.

4. sbq92

Doc Robot Needle Man 6-1. Enjoy!

5. MeleeShogun13

MeleeShogun13 Level 5: Spiny

all you guys still amaze me with these stage reskins ecspecialy the megaman ones.

6. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Just a random question, but where do you guys find all of the Mega Man tilesets? I tried looking and really only came across the ones for MM1 and 2.

7. CHAOS_FANTAZY

I find a level map of the level I'm re-skinning, then a level map of the level I want to make it look like. The Video Game Atlas is a good place to look. Then, I copy-paste the elements from the second level into the first one--with recoloring and such.

8. sbq92

I went to the The Spriters Resource to get my sprites. I got every single Mario level, and I just get whatever Mega Man level I want to use, some of which are on the same site, others I have to search for. The Video Game Atlas is definitely a good place to look--I've been there before. I also use a program called NeoPaint, which is a very easy-to-use paint program. It has all sorts of features which make it very user-friendly. Although, the ease-of-use may come from the fact that I've been using it for more than 15 years... But, I don't recall it ever being difficult to use.

Just so you know, I have a good re-skinning in the works, it's just taking a long time; there's a lot of brick work. It's looking good, though. I think you'll like it. :p

EDIT: The re-skin is done! Take a look: 4-4. :D

9. ThomasMink

Thank you both. Been wanting to take a shot at a Snake Man rendition of one of the stages for a few days, but couldn't find anything useful with my searches. Now I have.

Pharaoh Man 4-4 looks freakin' awesome, by the way.

10. CHAOS_FANTAZY

Holy Rush Jet on a stick, that looks amazing! You've really outdone yourself, especially with the torches, those were a nice touch! The only ways you can improve now is by writing a message at the end and putting in the firebars...hmm, what could you make them out of for Pharoah-Man?

Also, I've completed another one. Here's Fire-Man, 2-4. The message is a bit too high-up, but that's the only problem I can see...
    http://www.explodingrabbit.com/wiki/File:Fire!_World_2-4.png

11. sbq92

Thanks guys! That level was honestly a huge pain to work on. The brick work took a really long time, considering I wanted enough variety to make the level look interesting. If I may comment on my own level...I really like how the starry sky above the level turned out. :p

Your 2-4 is great, Chaos! I would personally change a couple of things, though. There is more variety in the background of Fire Man's stage, such as some fence tiles (including a hole in the fence), and even some sections where there is no background at all. Also, the color of the ? block is too similar to the background so it's kind of hard to make out. You could potentially put no background for that portion of the level. That way, the ? block doesn't stand against the wall of the same colors.

Speaking of Fire Man, I attempted a Fire Man version of 1-4 the other day. I know I already did a Heat Man 1-4, but I decided to tackle a Fire Man 1-4, to sort of line up the first world with the first Mega Man game. The level is more or less complete. I didn't spend quite as much time on details as I would have liked to, but having already done a Heat Man 1-4, I think I'm content to leave the Fire Man 1-4 as it is.

There are a couple of things I would like to know at this point. First, are these levels actually usable, given the method proposed by Jay of re-skinning the levels? Second, wouldn't it be a bit more productive if we had a set plans for at least the Mega Man re-skinning project? Given the vast array of stages available from the Mega Man series (~80) and the limited number of stages in SMB (32), it would be nice to have a set plan for preparing these stages. Otherwise, we could be wasting some time putting together unusable levels. Mind you, I do quite enjoy doing this sort of thing, but I would still rather it be productive. That Pharaoh Man stage was a lot of work to put together, and if such a thing is unusable, I'd rather not put that much time into all my re-skinning.

12. ThomasMink

Some sort of a set plan might be a good idea, at least.

My Snake Man choice was 4-2. I'm also unsure if the method I'm using will be usable or not. The floors are turning out to be a bit tedius to work on, but I'm also trying to keep at least some of the spirit of the MM3 level and it's vast array of winding patterns. Whatever is decided though, I'll continue working on this anyway.. just for personal amusement.

And also, both Fire Man stages are fantastic

13. sbq92

I'm looking forward to seeing your work on Snake Man 4-2! Snake Man's stage is pretty awesome, and I definitely know what you're going through with the tedium in the patterns. Keep at it, though. It pays off!

I have a proposed plan. No one is under any obligation to follow this plan, but it is a tentative outline of what Mega Man stages might fit in each of the SMB worlds.

World 1 Mega Man
    1-1 Cut Man (somewhat iconic...)
    1-2 Guts Man (underground-ish)
    1-3 Elec Man (outside-ish, towers)
    1-4 Fire Man

World 2 Mega Man 2
    2-1 Wood Man? (also iconic?)
    2-2 Bubble Man
    2-3 Air Man? (flying fish! :D)
    2-4 Heat Man

World 3 Mega Man 3
    3-1 Gemini Man (perfect for the night theme of world 3)
    3-2 Spark Man? (does every level have to be outside?)
    3-3 Snake Man? (again, does every level have to be outside?)
    3-4 Shadow Man (lava!)

World 4 Mega Man 4
    4-1 Ring Man
    4-2 Drill Man (underground)
    4-3 Skull Man (easy platforming)
    4-4 Pharaoh Man

World 5 Mega Man 5
    5-1 Crystal Man ("ice" theme...)
    5-2 Charge Man? (no idea on this one...)
    5-3 Gyro Man (another air-themed level for a platform level)
    5-4 Napalm Man (options are limited in MM5...)

World 6 Mega Man 6
    6-1 Plant Man (get a cool jungle theme going...it's dark, like the night...)
    6-2 Knight Man or Tomahawk Man? (again...does every level have to be outside? Also, Tomahawk Man's stage has a sunset theme)
    6-3 Wind Man or Blizzard Man? (platforms again...or perhaps some icy platforms)
    6-4 Flame Man

World 7 Mega Man 9
    7-1 Concrete Man or Hornet Man? (no idea...)
    7-2 Splash Woman (seems pretty obvious)
    7-3 Tornado Man? (no idea)
    7-4 Magma Man

World 8 Various Wily Stages from all Mega Man games

Any thoughts? Feel free to completely disagree with all of the above-mentioned ideas. :)

14. phurgawtin

phurgawtin Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Motherfucking 5 star post.

15. CHAOS_FANTAZY

Seems to be an ideal setlist--have one game per world--but thinking about this logically, a basic reskin wouldn't work for Mega Man. He probably won't receive anything that good until "Story Mode".

But yeah, I'll try to stick to the basic guideline...for now.

16. sbq92

I'm glad you guys like the guideline, but feel free to choose a different stage if you think it's more appropriate.

17. ThomasMink

Well, I have the main area of 4-2 done in Snake Man's level style. I still have other areas left to do yet, like the upper warp zone.. which I have an idea for already, but I felt like posting this anyway. Lost all my work at one point because I'm stupid and don't like to periodically save my progress, so I had to start over. Was probably for the better though, regardless of how annoying it was.

The green bricks also may or may not stay. Was supposed to be temporary, but they actually didn't look half as bad as I thought they would.

18. sbq92

That looks great! Excellent work! My first thought on the green blocks was that they look a little off, but then I got looking at the level as a whole, and I think they do work.

I'm planning on tackling Skull Man 4-3 next. I think it could look pretty awesome.

19. CHAOS_FANTAZY

Speaking of new projects, I'm going to attempt World 2-1, Quick-Man style. I idolize Quick-Man a lot, and I should've done a level for him a while ago.

And, in response to an earlier comment, I decided that since a Castle level was inside, I wouldn't be able to use any background that would make the player assume they were outside--but I no longer care about that. I'll make the next Castle Wood-Man's stage, for all I care!

20. MeleeShogun13

MeleeShogun13 Level 5: Spiny

all the Megaman ones look so freaking amazing!!!!