General Level Skin Discussion

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Ryuza, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Please

Please Level 6: Lakitu

I like it but it would look weird if a character stood on the bricks or pipe. They almost look like they'd kill you.

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Here's my attempt at a Zelda II 2-1 with a desert theme. I decided to just leave the pipes as pipes, but I recolored them to match the scheme of the desert, specifically the cacti.

EDIT: I also just threw together a Zelda II 1-2 with the dark cave theme. It's admittedly a little bland, since it's all the same colors, but it still looks decent.

3. Please

Please Level 6: Lakitu

I think that gives it a unique look. You also have to keep in mind there are no enemies in it yet.

4. sbq92

Zelda II 5-4. :)

5. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

That looks pretty good! But think about something for a second, guys...
    2-4 and 5-4 are exactly the same, with the exception of Fire Bars in more places. For someone like Mega Man, would they have the same, or similar, skins?

Also, there's a Wood-Man 2-3 on its way. It won't be the best, not much to it, but hopefully, I'll make it look interesting in some way.

EDIT: Remember what Jay said? He wants to be able to scroll down and see all the skins at once...post these new Zelda ones on the wiki, too.

6. sbq92

I thought about that before. I think that if every world looks different, then every castle level should look different. The layout would be the same, but the appearance would be different. It would add a new "freshness" to the similar castle levels.

7. Alias X Beoulve

Alias X Beoulve Level -1: Banned

This is.. really really cool.

8. sbq92

I decided to tackle my own take on a Legend of Zelda 1-1. I borrowed the sky from Zelda II.

9. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Zelda 1 looks so weird... probably because it's not a sidescroller.

Has anyone attempted Contra or Ninja Gaiden? I don't think I've seen those yet.

10. sbq92

I agree, Zelda looks weird. That's why I was working with Zelda II graphics. I just decided to attempt Legend of Zelda graphics.

Someone tried a Contra a while back, and I have an incomplete version on my computer which I need to finish. Ninja Gaiden would be cool, but it has some fairly complex graphics (everything is all angled). It would take some time to get a level to look right. I may attempt it at some point if I have time.

11. BlueJackle

BlueJackle Level 2: Koopa

Ninja Gaiden 3 might be a better choice to get tiles from.

[​IMG]

12. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

Yeah, NG3 would probably be the best one to use graphics from for Ninja Gaiden.

By the way, heres a good site to get tiles from if anyone needs some:
    VG Maps

13. Jay

I will most likely be making my decision on how to implement level skins into the game in early February. If possible, please try to make a few levels from each game by then. And it's not a strict deadline by any means, but around that time I'll be reworking the level editor and each level to make them more flexible for different skins.

I'd recommend the following for each game:

One normal level (1-1)
    One underground level (1-2)
    One platform level (1-3)
    One bowser level (1-4)
    One water level (2-2)

Also keep in mind a few of the levels have bridges, like the flying cheep cheep levels (2-3)

It'd be awesome if people put levels on the wiki because it's much easier to see them all on one page instead of hunting around in this thread. And it's not a requirement that you guys do all this stuff, I'm just keeping you updated on what I'm doing and when things are happening so you know what's up.

By the way, I'm not sure we can do a different theme for each world in Mega Man. That'd be tons of work. It might be better to use a different theme for each type of level. For example, I think it looks cool to have Heat Man or Fire Man for Bowser levels.

And everything usually happens later than I expect because I have a lot of stuff I'm working on, so it will actually probably be later than I say. But just pretend the pseudo deadline is in early February.

14. sbq92

That sounds like a great plan, Jay. Would it at least be possible to differentiate between the regular green levels and the snowy white levels (5-1, 5-2, 6-3, 7-1), as well as the night levels, or is that still a ton of work?

15. Jay

Oh yeah I forgot that there are white levels. I never knew it was supposed to be snow. Sure if you want to use different graphics on those types of levels it's fine. It's probably a good idea too because there will be more variety.

16. sbq92

Alrighty, based on what Jay has suggested, I've come up with a list of all the different level types found in the original SMB, and I have placed the levels in the appropriate "theme."

Overworld
    1-1, 2-1, 2-3, 4-1, 7-3, 8-1, 8-2, 8-3

Overworld (Night)
    6-1, 6-2

Overworld (White)
    5-1, 5-2, 7-1

Overworld (Night/White)
    3-1, 3-2

Platform
    1-3, 4-3, 5-3

Platform (Night)
    3-3

Platform (White)
    6-3

Platform (Mushroom)
    4-3

Underground
    1-2, 4-2

Underwater
    2-2, 7-2

Castle
    1-4, 2-4, 3-4, 4-4, 5-4, 6-4, 7-4, 8-4

@Jay: Feel free to cut that down a bit by mixing and matching. For example, night levels and normal/white levels may be one and the same if all you do is not include a blue sky. That would cut the variety down quite a bit, which means less work for you, which is good. :p

@Everyone else: Remember that some of these "themes" will appear within some of the levels, such as down pipes (e.g., 1-1 has an underground section, and 6-2 has an underwater section).

17. Jay

I'd probably recommend just using a different background color on night levels, but if someone wants to do something completely different, feel free. We're just experimenting right now.

18. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

@sbq92 I thought the "White" levels and the "Castle" levels were the same tileset?

19. sbq92

I'm referring to the normal overworld levels with white trees, etc. And 6-3, which is a white platform level. I suppose we could technically just use a normal platform level for 6-3, and even 4-3 for that matter, if we want to condense the number of different "themes." If we do condense, we have six different themes: Overworld, Overworld (White), Platform, Underground, Underwater, and Castle.

EDIT: IMO, the platform stages should be Air Man's stage. I know someone did a 1-3 a while back, but here's my attempt at Air Man 1-3.

20. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

If anyone would like to use it I could get together a more advanced version of my AutoTiler that can redo full stages and I can include one stage from each theme type.

That way we can test to see if we can get the skins working correctly with an automated process based off of the tiles Jay is currently using, we'll also be able to see if theres any additional changes to the way the game does graphics that might be needed to get skins working well.