General Level Skin Discussion

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Ryuza, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Please

Please Level 6: Lakitu

That would be great!

2. MariowiiX

MariowiiX Level 1: Goomba

Looks Great! what about the castle stages? (X-4)

3. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I'm not sure whether to go with Fire Man or Heat Man. Fire Man is simpler, and so it might be a better option for Jay's sake (and sanity!).

I plan to compile a list before too long of my proposed stages for each theme for each game.

4. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

When you get together the list sbq82 we can double check with Jay and see if it looks alright and if it does I'll put those stages in my updated AutoTiler so we can come up with full tile sheets for each character that would work well in-game.

5. sbq92

My list is coming along. I'm not as familiar with all of the games as would be ideal, so it will be a more or less incomplete list. That will be good, though, since it will allow more community involvement, rather than a single list compiled by a single member. :p

I hope to compile some sheets this weekend, as well. I have some ideas which could help make levels fancier than simple single-tile replacement. I think the idea has been suggested before anyway. I'm thinking the best way to do it would probably be to have more "complex" objects made up of several tiles, but in some themes (like the original SMB theme), some objects will be compiled using the same tiles. I'll show this in some samples when I get them made, hopefully over this weekend.

I have a question for Jay: What are your plans for the backgrounds? Is it possible to have "fancy" backgrounds, such as the ones found in the Mega Man games and in Blaster Master? Might I suggest a single-image background which can just be inserted as the background to a stage, rather than a collection of tiles? Is that even possible?

6. c2456

c2456 Level 6: Lakitu

Those are some really awesome pictures.

7. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

I'm thinking about making some girlish level designs that would be good for Peach if Jay ever adds her. But I have been busy with my new computer and don't know when I'll have everything working like it was. I'm on Windows 7 now. But I'm not sure how long it will take.

8. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

I can do anything with the backgrounds, so don't worry about that. Most of them have repeating elements, so it shouldn't take up a lot of memory. Also, I'm leaving on the 12th for two weeks so try and have the list done by the 10th or 11th. And I now realize that I won't be ready by early February, so you guys will have more time to build the levels.

9. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I can't believe I didn't read this sooner D:
    Anyway, I don't know how useful it would be, but I can isolate each block from SMB into a .zip to make them easier to replace. Only if you guys would use it though.
    EDIT: I just downloaded SMBC Tiler (and Ryuza said this), so that .zip would be pretty useless.
    Awesome though, gonna work with it.

10. Ryuza

Actually I have a tile replacing program in the first post that people can use to switch tiles easier, but you can only reskin previews of the main themes the stages use. When you run the program it creates a tilesheet with all the tiles used for objects in the game that you can save as a separate file (you have to save it separately cause the program removes it when you exit).

Later today though I think I'll be updating the program to make it a bit more useful for everyone.

11. sbq92

I'll be finishing the list shortly. It will hopefully be finished by this evening, but no later than tomorrow afternoon. I've been in class all week and have been pretty busy, but this weekend I have virtually nothing to do, so I can work on this quite a bit. I'm looking forward to tackling some tiling plans, and putting together some levels (mainly the Mega Man levels--they're a lot of fun to work on).

EDIT: I was a lot closer to finishing the list than I thought. :p

I've condensed the various level types for simplicity, although we can open it up a bit if Jay wants to add 4-3's mushroom platforms and 6-3's white platforms. In fact, he may have to use different graphics for them, since they're different in Mario's themes anyway... Let's deal with the basics first, though.

Also, I have no clue about Ryu's stages. I've played the Ninja Gaiden games, but I'm not familiar enough with the levels to be able to effectively select some good themes. Also, these are generally fairly tentative anyway, so let's come to a consensus before Jay confirms them. :)

Levels
    Overworld: 1-1, 2-1, 2-3, 3-1, 3-2, 4-1, 6-1, 6-2, 7-3, 8-1, 8-2, 8-3
    Overworld (White): 5-1, 5-2, 7-1
    Platform: 1-3, 3-3, 4-3, 5-3, 6-3
    Underground: 1-2, 4-2
    Underwater: 2-2, 7-2
    Castle: 1-4, 2-4, 3-4, 4-4, 5-4, 6-4, 7-4, 8-4

Bill Rizer (We could possibly borrow from Super C if necessary)
    Overworld: Jungle
    Overworld (White): Snow Field
    Platform: Waterfall? Energy Zone?
    Underground: Hangar? Alien's Lair?
    Underwater: ???? (Suggestions?)
    Castle: Alien's Lair? Hangar?

Link (Zelda II graphics look best...)
    Overworld: Grass
    Overworld (White): Desert
    Platform: "Hidden Area" or "East Coast" (Rocks as platforms could work...)
    Underground: Dark Cave
    Underwater: ???? (Suggestions? We may have to borrow from Link's Awakening DX...)
    Castle: One of the temples (Parapa Palace is probably the most iconic)

Mega Man
    Overworld: Cut Man (Mega Man) (Chosen mainly because it's iconic, open to change)
    Overworld (White): Ice Man (Mega Man)
    Platform: Air Man (Mega Man II)
    [Platform (4-3): Bomb Man (Mega Man)] EDIT: Here is a proposed level design.
    Underground: Guts Man (Mega Man)
    Underwater: Bubble Man (Mega Man II)
    Castle: Fire Man (Mega Man)

Ryu Hayabusa
    Overworld: ????
    Overworld (White): ????
    Platform: ????
    Underground: ????
    Underwater: ????
    Castle: ????

Samus Aran
    Overworld: Brinstar (Cyan)
    Overworld (White): Brinstar (Orange)
    Platform: Norfair (Green Bubbles)
    Underground: Brinstar (Blue Brick)
    Underwater: Brinstar (Blue Cave)
    Castle: Tourian

Simon Belmont
    Overworld: Level 1 (Outside) (Castlevania)
    Overworld (White): Level 1 (Outside) (Castlevania III)
    Platform: Level 3 (Castlevania)
    Underground: Level 4 (Cave) (Castlevania)
    Underwater: Level 6 (Sunken City) (graphics may need some editing...) (Castlevania III)
    Castle: Level 5 (Castlevania)

SOPHIA the 3rd
    Ryuza has this one pretty well perfected.

12. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

It's 1-3 and not 1-2

13. sbq92

Zelda levels! I've done 5-1 and 5-2 in the desert theme, as a replacement for the "white" theme.

I've also included the backgrounds for 5-1 and 5-2. These are for Jay, I suppose. They are specifically designed for their specific levels. There's a little bump of sand across the ground, and it is specifically laid out for each level. If it weren't for the little bumps, I think one background would suffice. However, as it is, the bumps make two separate backgrounds necessary. Also, the bumps are pretty necessary. Otherwise, the desert looks quite flat and dull.

@World 1-1: Thanks for pointing out the error. :)

14. c2456

c2456 Level 6: Lakitu

2-2 would be great for Blaster Master's water graphics.

15. Ryuza

Check the first post :D

Also, been a bit since I put out something new so check this out, stage 1-4 in Zelda II style.

Almost got a new version of my Auto-Tiler done, this one should be a bit more useful than the last version since you'll be able to re-tile one stage from each theme and apply custom backgrounds.

16. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Fucking sweet.

By the way, there shouldn't be a separate background for each level. There should only be one background for each level type. Otherwise they won't work when new levels are added. Those cactuses, clouds, and grass things in sbq92's zelda 2 levels will probably have to replace the trees and other crap from smb. I call that stuff "scenery" in my code because it's sort of the background but not really. It shouldn't be part of a separate background unless you want the cactuses and stuff in the same place on each level, which is probably not a good idea.

But I'll have to figure out how to implement it later, so carry on.

17. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

Ya know, the game was supposed to be about characters from different game series using their controls, appearences, and music, in a Mario World.

Maybe this should be an unlockable. That would send less trollers.

18. sbq92

a@Ryuza: That looks amazing! Well done!

@Exploding Rabbit: I wasn't sure about how you were planning to do the backgrounds. I went ahead and put together those just in case they'd be useful. I should point out that in doing both 5-1 and 5-2, I discovered that the background (trees, clouds, etc.) are in the same places in both levels. The only difference would be the little bumps of sand. I don't suppose it's possible to include those? I suppose it's not the end of the world if they can't be included.

@Captain Knight: I agree, it should be an unlockable feature. I think this has been discussed earlier in the thread, though. I believe the general plan was to have each theme unlocked as you finish the game with each character, and then you have a choice of playing either with the theme or without the theme.

19. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

You know, this is gonna be really annoying when more characters are added. Especially the theoretical Sonic. 16-Bit stages or 8-Bit stages? Hmm...

Sorry, Wood-Man's bridge stage isn't done, but I haven't been able to do any pixel art recently...Hey, maybe Overworld should be Wood-Man's, since he has those really thin platforms in his stage that are perfect for bridges.

20. sbq92

I considered Wood Man's stage for the main overworld, but I thought the dense forest background might be a bit much for regular stages. However, it's not up to me alone. We should see what others have to say about it. My list is totally open to revision.