General Level Skin Discussion

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Ryuza, Dec 10, 2010.

1. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

I thought about that too, but there's a short portion of Wood-Man's stage where there's sky--the same place the bridge platforms are. What if we changed up the background a bit, so the trees only covered half of the screen, and above them was the sky?

Also, Mega Man needs more Mega Man 3-6. Night stages could be Ring-Man, Star-Man, Pharaoh-Man, even...

2. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

So I've been thinking...

Overworld: http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/NinjaGaiden-ActV-Scene2.png

Overworld (white): http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/NinjaGaiden-ActIII-Scene2.png

I don't get the platform thing. Isn't it the same as Overworld?

Underground: http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/NinjaGaiden-ActV-Scene1.png

Underwater: http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/NinjaGaiden-EpisodeII-DarkSwordOfChaos-ActIV-Scene2.png

Castle: http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/NinjaGaiden-ActVI-Scene2.png It's so hated, it's perfect.

I hope this helped...

3. CHAOS_FANTAZY

Kind of-sort of, but not really. See, the mushroom and cliff sprites are very different from the blocks Mario usually stands on, so these could be changed to another graphic from a different stage.

4. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Chaos!

5. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

Jay could use the swamp area from Zelda 2 as a blueprint to start and edit it into something cool and Awesome that would be true to the Z2 theme.

6. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Hey guys I completely forgot a level type. We're going to need coin heaven for everyone as well.

7. mitsymckenzie777

Link Zelda 2 Great Palace,Forest or any other palace for coin heaven? Plus there is the bridge level type too. 2-3 and 7-3. Which for Link would be easy The bridge area from Zelda 2.

Plus Air Man stage could be coin heaven for Mega Man and instead of Air Man platform level type could be the top of the Wood Man stage where the ape robots are as well as the bridge level type.

8. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Hmm... I still think Wood Man's stage may be a bit much. The majority of the levels in the game use the standard overworld theme, and for me personally, while I love Wood Man's stage, I'm not sure I want to play through it for most of the game. However, on that note, I'm not sure I'd want to play Cut Man's stage a lot, either... There must be some relatively normal stage that could work.

I considered more from the Mega Man games, but I thought that 1-2 were the most iconic, and therefore should probably be the ones used the most. However, if you have any suggestions from 3-6, suggest away! :)

9. CHAOS_FANTAZY

I don't think there's any one song in Mega Man that a player would want to listen to for most of the game: that's part of what makes Mega Man great; not only are the compositions great on their own...there's so many of them to jump between. The best possible thing that could happen was the Overworld being different for each world, but...that's more work for Jay and less of an actual reskin.

Okay, off the top of my head...

Overworld: Charge-Man. Top-Man. Hard-Man. Maybe even Centaur-Man or Stone-Man.
    Underground: Spark-Man or Bright-Man. Dust-Man. Drill-Man. Crystal-Man or even Gemini-Man.
    Underwater: Dive-Man. Wave-Man. Gemini-Man. Toad-Man?
    Platform/Coin Heaven: Gyro-Man. Wind-Man. Star-Man or Ring-Man.
    Night: Star-Man or Ring-Man. Pharaoh-Man. Skull-Man?
    Castle: Flame-Man. Shadow-Man. Gravity-Man? Dark-Man?

I could rattle on, especially with Mega Man 9/10.

10. sbq92

I guess perhaps I'm more worried about overdoing a good thing. I love Wood Man's stage, and I'd hate to have his level and music "get old" by playing his level for the majority of a game. Maybe that's just me, though.

I was thinking about adding more Mega Man games into the mix and, interestingly, there are about 6~7 themes, and 6 Mega Man games for the NES, so we should actually try to have one theme per game. :) (Oh, btw, "night" isn't a theme. Jay said he'll just use the overworld them and change the background to black.)

I was going to tackle Crystal Man as an underground theme, but then I decided to go with the more natural Stone Man. His stage even has breakable stone blocks, which I used for the bricks. Here is Stone Man 4-2. :)

11. mitsymckenzie777

Dust Man and Drill Man are great Ideas for underground reskins but Stone Man was a stroke of genius. Wave Man wasn't exactly underwater despite his name and some of the water inpired areas such as the jet ski area so I don't know. Gemini Man would be awesome underwater. Maybe it could work but like if Jay used Zelda 2 swamp for link's but it would take a bit of reworking. Gemini sounds good though. I could only see Air Man for Coin Heaven because of the thin platforms matching the size of the clouds. Plus the whole thing is about changing skins not music.

12. sbq92

I believe I have found the perfect underwater theme for Link. Here it is, Oracle of Ages 2-2.

13. mitsymckenzie777

Yea it could work depending on what Jay says. Only thing is the ceiling Link can jump out of the water I think. Been a while since I've played.

14. sbq92

The ceiling could easily be dropped in favor of an open space along the top. I thought I'd try a different 8-bit Zelda game in an effort to keep the continuity without having to do any extensive graphics editing. Editing the marsh from Zelda II is not a bad idea, but it could take a lot of work, and if some decent graphics exist elsewhere, why not just use those?

15. c2456

c2456 Level 6: Lakitu

I want to see levels only Ryu can play.

16. mitsymckenzie777

I agree I was just saying that what Jay says is final. I mean the design looks great that you found.

17. Keke

Keke Level 2: Koopa

Hi there people! I just recently registered here, nice to meet you!

Anyways, I added level 1-4 turned in to Tourian and Zelda 2 great palace in to the wiki (one of the blocks in great palace is wrong, but just ignore it for now, I'll fix it later).

18. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

I was originally going to do a Charge Man/Star Man hybrid of world 5-2.. with Charge Man's stage taking up the majority, and a small bit of Star Man's to replace the underwater portion (since MM5 lacks an underwater level, I was gonna go for the low gravity 'outer spacey' effect.. which is pretty much the same thing). That was before.. ..and who knows, I still might do it just for personal amusement.. kinda like how I did my take on a Snake Man 4-2.

Anyway, I decided to do a Top Man take on world 1-3 instead.. now that a more firm plan is set. Not sure how iconic Top Man's stage is in regards to such a platforming level, but whatever. I also know the background is a bit sloppy.. but that's because I hastily tossed it together, putting those light..board..things in places where there was a cloud, or a set of clouds. The bar things holding up the lights are equally sloppy. Main reason for the sloppiness is because I couldn't really come up with a background with Top Man's stage that might actually work.. other than a flat blue, but that would just be boring. Also not sure if the ground will work, because ground tiles in MM are more complex than those in SMB.. and would look a bit weird and extremely 'off' if used in a similar manner to SMB. But.. whatever. Didn't take long to do at all.

19. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

I think I've got a good idea of how to go about doing water stages for Link, I'll give it a try after work and see what I can come up with.

20. Keke

Keke Level 2: Koopa

If you ever decide to tackle that idea, there actually is an underwater segment in the second Wily level (isn't it strange that wave man doesn't have an underwater part in his level?), but the space part in star mans stage would be much more interesting. However, if this somehow, someday actually was implemented in the game, a custom Mario sprite with a jetpack should be made since Mario "swimming" in space would be kind of silly, don't you think?

I was going to do a top man stage, but looks like you beat me to it. nice work, the only thing that could use a little work IMO would be the alignment of the solar panels (or atleast that's what they look like to me). They are placed a little too randomly, if you compare it to the original. Just a friendly advice if you decide to update it at some point:)