Request Geno: Let's get this show on the road!

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Lilfut, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

Okay, bear with me. Geno may have been from an RPG, but it was an RPG with action elements. With that in mind, I think he could be implemented fairly accurately in SMBC.

Basic aspects: FP acts as shared energy across all his special weapons, and are dropped by enemies. Geno starts with about 15. Pressing the Attack key fires pellets from his hand. Without a mushroom, these only attack a short distance in front of him, but with a mushroom their range covers the entire screen. It takes about 3 hits to kill a Goomba with these pellets.

Special weapons:
    Geno Beam: A chargeable beam attack. Charges up to three stars in the lower left corner of the screen, but keeping the button held down after full charge leads to it reverting to its basic power. Uses 3 FP.
    Geno Boost: Not sure how to reflect this accurately. Maybe it powers up the basic pellet shot to do 3 times as much damage? Uses 4 FP.
    Geno Whirl: A quick-moving projectile. If the Special key is pressed right as it hits an enemy, it takes them out in one hit regardless of their hit points. Armor-piercing. Uses 8 FP.
    Geno Blast: A screen-hitting attack where beams fire from the sky. Uses 12 FP.
    Geno Flash: Turns into a cannon and fires a very slow-moving energy bullet that, if it can be hit with successfully, can one-shot any enemy, including Bowser. Uses 16 FP.
    Star Gun: Powerup for the pellets. Makes them do double normal damage, and can be stacked with Geno Boost.

2. Dinospy_01

Dinospy_01 Level 5: Spiny
    Exploding Patron

In all likely hood, Geno would probably only exist as a skin - given that no 8/16 bit sprites exist of him. (That I know of, just the pseudo-3D from SMRPG). I like your ideas though.

Hm, maybe I'll do a mock-up of what Geno could look like NES style...Unless someone else has already?

3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Actually, SMRPG is 16-bit.

4. Dinospy_01

Dinospy_01 Level 5: Spiny
    Exploding Patron

Oh, I know - but they used a specific technique to present 3D looking graphics.

Although - you could argue that because he was in a 16-bit game, he's a valid candidate - but he would need 2-D sprites to be custom made.

5. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

I don't mind this actually. If you think about it. Bass was made like a NES character. So can Geno and Mallow.

6. Lilfut

By the way, there are plenty of 2D Geno sprites out there.
    My main issue right now is that Geno's spells feel a bit overpowered as is. What should I do about that?

7. Crownjo

I think custom sprites made for SMBC is better.

Overpowered? Well you need to go to the drawing board to do proper balancing so he can be awesome and fair to use.

Another problem with your starting topic is that you didn't talk about his physics on how he would move and jump. This is kinda important because it ties in with his ability's on how it works.

I did think hard when it came to making the co-op hud. I kept making it till I got it.

8. Lilfut

Okay, basically: are the high FP costs enough to limit Geno Whirl, Geno Blast, and Geno Flash? If not, how else can I balance them while still being accurate to the original game?

9. Crownjo

Well give it time and you or someone else will solve the problems. In game design things take time!

10. Lilfut

I know, and I'm trying to think of ways to fix it myself, but if you have any ideas it'd be appreciated. I did just come up with a balancing factor for Geno Flash, but now I'm afraid it's underpowered.

11. Crownjo

Things take time so no worry's. I am more of a co-op concept guy or something anyways.

edit: Oh wow I am nicer then usual in this topic. Weird.

12. Lilfut

Added a new powerup.

13. French rocks

French rocks Level -1: Banned

Just make the sprites, show them and after we'il see about that.

14. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

So uh...I did a Bass skin (well most of one >_>) a while ago...the sprites aren't great but maybe you guys could fashion them into something?

Geno.png

15. Lilfut

You realize that the sprites aren't nearly as big a deal as the gameplay, right? Ryuza made 16-Bit Sophia, I think he can do Geno.

16. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

EDIT: I reacted poorly to something directed at someone else. Yaaaaaay.

17. Lilfut

I was talking to French Rocks, actually. You're fine, and those sprites will work perfectly.

uglyrodent likes this.