Implemented Give Zelda skins Silver/Light Arrows with appropriate gameplay changes

Discussion in 'Features' started by Mitewing, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

In many Zelda games, the Princess herself is the user of the Light Arrows. These arrows typically stun Ganon. So I propose she has arrows different than Link. They would stun enemies and cause less damage to balance this advantage. The Silver Arrow sprites can then be used in the regular arrows' place.

uglyrodent likes this.
  2. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I notice that when Zelda is firing at Ganon, they're called the Light Arrows and are gold (as in Wind Waker and I think the end of Ocarina) but when Link is the one who shoots Ganon the game gives you Silver Arrows instead (Zelda 1, Link to the Past).

All I'm saying is, maybe on Zelda's sheets they should be colored gold instead of silver to reflect that.

Mitewing likes this.
  3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

No, Link uses the Light Arrows in Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Spirit Tracks, and optionally Minish Cap. Basically the Light Arrows replaced the Silver Arrows after LttP, whether it's Link or Zelda who's using them.

(I could go more thoroughly into the difference between Silver Arrows and Light Arrows but I don't know if that's relevant to this thread.)

4. Mitewing

So are people in agreement the arrows should differ in appearance between Link and Zelda only? What about gameplay differences?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  5. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

The boomerang exists. I will leave it at that.

6. Mitewing

What does this have to do with the Boomerang? I'm only talking about gameplay differences with the arrows only.

EDIT: Nevermind. I forgot the Boomerang stunned enemies. Any ideas how the arrows be different then?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  7. TheomanZero

Well, in Minish Cap and Spirit Tracks, you charge up the bow to fire Light Arrows. I guess if you wanted to include them in the game, they could be a "charge shot" for the bow. (In other games, they use magic, but we don't have that in SMBC and you'd need a way to switch between regular and Light Arrows.)

I suppose Link could use Silver Arrow graphics since the NES/SNES games used those instead of Light Arrows. The Silver Arrows were always a permanent upgrade that just replaced the regular arrows, so the "charge shot" wouldn't be faithful in that sense, but it would be more balanced, and using ideas from later games to make classic items/moves fit the SMB structure is already part of SMBC.

As for gameplay differences, it would be faithful for Silver/Light Arrows to deal double damage and pierce through enemies/blocks (or possibly just blocks).

8. Mitewing

I'd like to see Zelda unique from Link somehow as she's generally associated with Light Arrows, so cosmetically she should get those arrows. I do like your ideas about gameplay differences, however, people would also want a disadvantage as to balance her and not make her superior to Link. I can't remember but do they pierce multiple enemies/blocks in any of the games?

9. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I guess this is the part where I chime in and mention I wouldn't like seeing Minish Camp or Spirit Tracks mechanics, especially when the Zelda skins aren't even from those games.

Mitewing likes this.
  10. Mitewing

I actually agree with you. I'm just thinking Link should have standard arrows while Zelda has Silver/Light Arrows. Even if there are no gameplay changes added, cosmetically, it makes sense since whenever she uses a bow those are the arrows used.

11. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I was gonna say, what if they stunned the Ganon skin for Bowser for a long ass time like the old boomerang? Is there a Ganon skin for Bowser? I can't remember.

Mitewing likes this.
  12. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

This is already the case. Zelda's arrows use the Silver Arrow colors, while Link's arrows use the normal Arrow colors.

Faruga, Rey D and Mitewing like this.
  13. Mitewing

I truly had no idea this was the case. Stupid me. :(

14. TheomanZero

If you want gameplay differences for Zelda, how bout this: Zelda's sword is weaker (because she's using a light rapier), but her bow is stronger (because she's using the Silver Arrows).

You could also make her arrows pierce through blocks, if you want. This is based on the GBA version of LttP, in which you could break pots with arrows, and the Silver Arrows could take out whole rows of them.

Faruga and Mitewing like this.
  15. Mitewing

Great suggestions. These should be considered for changing up Zelda's gameplay as they're based on canonical features.

16. Mitewing

Glad I made this suggestion and it became part of the last update!