Graphical and Level Issues to be Fixed

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by MissingNo2, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

I'm normally a big fan of source accuracy, but where small improvements like this can be made, I think they're worth the trade-off. I also notice in the picture above that the extra fence tile appears to be on the right-side of the bridge but not the left side - in which case an argument for removing the extra fence tile is to improve consistency.

2. SomeGuy712x

SomeGuy712x Level 2: Koopa

Okay, so I was told to post the differences that I've found between the original SMB levels and the SMB Normal difficulty maps of Crossover here: (If you guys are already aware of some of these, or if any of these are intentional, then I apologize about that.)

- In world 2-1 of the original SMB maps on Normal difficulty in Crossover, the time limit starts at only 300, but in the original SMB, world 2-1 gives the player 400 seconds to begin with.

- In world 2-4, there's an extra fire bar at the beginning of the split path that doesn't belong:
    SMB Crossover:
    SMBCO 2-4 Extra Fire Bar.PNG

Original SMB:
    SMB 2-4 No Extra Fire Bar.PNG
    - In world 3-1's coin heaven, the cloud between the first two rows of coins is missing, and there are extra clouds near the end:
    SMB Crossover:
    SMBCO 3-1A Missing Cloud.PNG SMBCO 3-1B Extra Clouds.PNG

Original SMB:
    SMB 3-1A No Missing Cloud.PNG SMB 3-1B No Extra Clouds.PNG
    - In world 4-1, there is a quartet of coin ? blocks missing in the first half of the level, before the second pit:
    SMB Crossover:
    SMBCO 4-1 Missing Coin Blocks.PNG

Original SMB:
    SMB 4-1 Four Coin Blocks.PNG
    - In world 4-3, there should be a regular red koopa walking on the lowest platform below the parakoopa near the beginning:
    SMB Crossover:
    SMBCO 4-3 Missing Lower Red Koopa.PNG

Original SMB:
    SMB 4-3 Lower Red Koopa Present.PNG
    Huh. Apparently I can't attach any more screenshots to this post, so I'll have to wait to mention further discrepancies.

ThomasMink and Rey D like this.
  3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Wait no more!
    I'm pretty sure the 2-1 clock thing was reported before, and I'm also pretty sure it was intentional.

4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

@SomeGuy712x: Some of these were already reported and fixed, but I'll take a look at them all. Fortunately, these are really easy fixes. It's just a matter of changing the difficulty tags in the editor.

As for the 2-1 timer, I'm pretty sure that has already been fixed in the dev version. I remember it coming up before.

ThomasMink likes this.
  5. SomeGuy712x

@Mario-Fan:
    I highly doubt the 300 time limit in 2-1 is intentional.

Alright, here's some more discrepancies:

- In world 4-4, the bottom fire bar in the second "maze" section is rotating a different way than in the original SMB:
    SMB Crossover:
    SMBCO 4-4 Lower Fire Bar Counterclockwise.PNG

Original SMB:
    SMB 4-4 Lower Fire Bar Clockwise.PNG

(Note: I drew arrows on these screenshots to indicate the direction the fire bar is rotating in both cases.)
    - In world 5-2, there are four extra coins on the ground in coin heaven:
    SMB Crossover:
    SMBCO 5-2 Extra Four Coins.PNG

Original SMB:
    SMB 5-2 No Extra Coins.PNG
    - In world 8-1, the timer starts off at 400 seconds in SMB Crossover, where it starts off at 300 seconds in the original SMB. (However, I'm thinking this one may be intentional, to give the slower characters a better chance.)

- Also in world 8-1, there's an extra coin floating high in the air before the first pipe:
    SMB Crossover:
    SMBCO 8-1 Extra Coin Before First Pipe.PNG

Original SMB:
    SMB 8-1 No Coin Before First Pipe.PNG
    - In world 8-2, the bullet cannon near the end of the level should be a double bullet cannon:
    SMB Crossover:
    SMBCO 8-2 Missing Bullet Cannon.PNG

Original SMB:
    SMB 8-2 Double Bullet Cannon.PNG
    - In world 8-4, the pipe that returns you back to start in the second section doesn't function in SMB Crossover:
    SMB Crossover:
    SMBCO 8-4 Second Part Can\'t Enter Pipe Back to Start.PNG Can't enter this pipe between the buzzies and parakoopas.

Original SMB:
    SMB 8-4 Second Part Entering Pipe Back to Start.PNG Can enter this pipe, and it takes me back to the very first pipe in the level.

(The other pipes back to start in that level do function correctly in Crossover.)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    ThomasMink likes this.
  6. sbq92

It's weird, I was sure I had fixed some of these before, but I had to fix some again. Oh well. These have all been fixed in the dev version. Please continue to report any you find, as these are easy to fix.

Also, you're correct about the timer in 8-1. Having only 300 ticks made it difficult to finish the level as some characters. On multiple occasions, I was playing normally and ran out of time, so it was changed to 400.

ThomasMink and TheomanZero like this.
  7. SomeGuy712x

Alright, well, there are a couple more level design related things I can think of:

- In the bonus rooms of world 1-2 and 8-1 (which are the same bonus room), two of the bricks above the exit pipe contain coins: (However, is this one intentional for some reason, perhaps to keep certain characters from trapping themselves?)
    SMB Crossover:
    SMBCO 1-2 and 8-1 Bonus Room Extra Coin Blocks.PNG

Original SMB:
    SMB 1-2 and 8-1 Bonus Room No Extra Coin Blocks.PNG I glitched myself into the wall here to allow Mario to break the bricks in question.
    - Also, in 6-2's last bonus room, there's something odd about the floor under the exit pipe. It doesn't affect gameplay at all, but it does look graphically weird:
    SMB Crossover (using five different map skins):
    SMBCO 6-2 Last Bonus Room Odd Lower-Right Blocks A.PNG SMBCO 6-2 Last Bonus Room Odd Lower-Right Blocks B.PNG SMBCO 6-2 Last Bonus Room Odd Lower-Right Blocks C.PNG SMBCO 6-2 Last Bonus Room Odd Lower-Right Blocks D.PNG SMBCO 6-2 Last Bonus Room Odd Lower-Right Blocks E.PNG

Original SMB:
    SMB 6-2 Last Bonus Room.PNG
    I think that's about all I've seen regarding level design issues so far (not counting ones that are obviously intentional to accommodate every character or to prevent unwinnable situations).

ThomasMink likes this.
  8. sbq92

@SomeGuy712x: The coins above the pipe are indeed intentional. It was possible for Mega Man to get stuck in there if he slid in. The 6-2 bonus room was one that is already fixed in the dev version.

9. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

You can try using external hosts, or editing some screenshots to be side-to-side.

10. SomeGuy712x

@Rey D:
    Meh. It's alright. This is probably the most screenshots I'm going to use at once, because I had all these things to point out at once. If there are ever any more things for me to mention using screenshots, I most likely won't need nearly this many at once again. But, I'll keep what you said in mind, just in case.

11. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

12. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I guess I was thinking of 8-1 when I said 2-1 was intentional :p

Do you guys still have the source code for the version that's up right now? You could fix small things immediately without having to wait for a bigger update.

13. Develon

Develon Level 5: Spiny

I've found a curious graphical issue with a single sprite.
    It turns out that Atari Mega Man's "Toad" and "Peach" sprites are misaligned in comparison to the rest of "Toads" and "Peachs":
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here's a close-up:
    a.PNG
    This causes Atari Dr. Light's sprite to levitate in-game:
    b.PNG
    It should be easy to fix. :p

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    TheomanZero, Mitewing and ThomasMink like this.
  14. GlitchMr

GlitchMr Level 0: Newbie

The coins over the pit in 3-1 of SMB Special shouldn't exist. I assume they do exist in Easy Mode, but they shouldn't in normal mode.

Attached Files:

15. Beed28

Beed28 Level 5: Spiny

Sorry to bump this, but I found a pretty big graphical error in Lost Levels World 8-4 when using the NES SMB3 map skin:
    SMBC_LL8-4_SMB3_Map_Skin_Easy_Coins.png

This was in Easy Maps mode, but I highly doubt that the coins are there in Normal and Hard modes.

ThomasMink likes this.
  16. sbq92

This is an easy fix.

Faruga likes this.
  17. SomeGuy712x

Found a couple of level design inaccuracies in Lost Levels 4-4 on Normal difficulty:

First, there's this fire bar block, which is one tile lower than expected, and rotating the wrong way:
    SMB Crossover:
    SMBCO LL 4-4 Fire Bar Block Too Low.PNG

Super Mario All-Stars:
    SMB LL 4-4 Fire Bar Block Proper Spot.PNG
    (It's possible that the fire bar block being one tile lower than usual was meant to help the weaker jumpers, but I was using Mario here.)

And next, there's a ledge near the end of the level that's one tile too short:
    SMB Crossover:
    SMBCO LL 4-4 Middle Ledge One Block Too Short.PNG

Super Mario All-Stars:
    SMB LL 4-4 Middle Ledge Proper Length.PNG
    As shown in the All-Stars screenshot, it should stretch one more tile to the right.

18. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Ever consider that these differences could have been made for All-Stars?

19. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I suppose it's either easier or only possible to set it this way for firebars. For example, maybe a firebar is considered an enemy and can't be changed for the weak jumpers.

"it should stretch one more tile to the right."
    I got nothing. Except that I prefer it this way because that drop is bound to kill you cheaply at least 1/4.

20. SomeGuy712x

Well, I just checked a map of 4-4 for the original SMB2j (Link), and that fire bar block and ledge are the same as in All-Stars, so no change was made in the transition to All-Stars.