Verifying Hat Stomp

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Omicron, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

It's impossible to perform a Hat Stomp.

A variation of this with upwards speed causes a lot of unneccessary dying with close-call jumps.

In short, enemy collision is much stricter than SMB.

2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

What is a hat stomp?

World 1-1 and TheomanZero like this.
  3. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

I couldn't find a wiki article on it because it's a secret ninja technique of the Plumber Clan.

Seriously though, it's a glitch on the SMB engine that allowed for some nice stunts.

Here's a scheme. Case 1 is the proper "hat stomp" that named the glitch, and case 2 is a derivate.
    hatstomp.png
    These are considered valid stomps by the SMB engine. In case 1, the character is given a little upward speed. In case 2, the character receives a small boost to their jump.

They're not limited to enemy types, being possible with any stompable. In SMBC, both these cases cause damage to the character. Specially with case 2, this makes the game harder for Mario at least.

TheomanZero and MissingNo2 like this.
  4. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I don't really know about speedrunning techniques and such, but in that second picture at least it looks like Mario should stomp successfully. If he currently doesn't, I support changing it.

5. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

The hitboxes are trickier in Flash, and setting them up to be able to accomplish these things is a lot more work than it may sound. We have talked about adjusting the hitboxes, but it would be quite a bit of work, so I wouldn't expect it any time soon, if ever.

Rey D likes this.