Health Bar Discussion

Discussion in 'Features' started by sbq92, Mar 6, 2012.

1. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I know there are mixed feelings regarding the idea of adding health bars to SMBC for the characters that have them in their own games. I have some mixed feelings myself. I figure we should probably discuss the pros and cons of having health bars added to the game, though. I'll get the ball rolling. :)

Pros
    1. Health bars would improve character accuracy, since most characters had health bars in their own games.
    2. Health bars could replace the current system in which characters lose all of their power-ups upon getting hit, since a whole new damage system is in place. This would also help accuracy, since the characters were designed to be able to withstand several hits yet still keep their power-ups. This would also give some characters a better fighting chance against some of the Bowser fights without being forced to lose all of their weapons or to cheat in order to continue on with the game.
    Cons
    1. Health bars would cause imbalance among characters. Mega Man and Bass, for example, have quite a bit of health, and so giving them the opportunity to take several hits before dying would drastically change the difficulty of the game for them.
    2. Health bars would decrease the original SMB feel.
      • This one is a bit tricky. I definitely agree with it in principle, but considering the vast number of things that have already been added to the game (including several characters themselves who technically already don't belong), adding health bars is a minimal detraction from the original game. We already have characters with guns, bombs, fire whips, time-stopping clocks, robot dogs, missiles, hover units, etc., and many of the characters already have ammo bars and ammo pick-ups, so the argument of detracting from the original SMB feel is rather moot. In fact, considering all these things, the addition of health bars seems quite normal and natural (at least with regard to the current point, anyway). Still, it is an important point to consider when discussing any change to the game.
    There are surely plenty of other pros and cons relating to the idea of having health bars added to the game. Discuss away! :)

hunter2258 and Rey D like this.
  2. 1337star

1337star Level 2: Koopa

I'm not sure if I like the idea of actually giving them health bars, but I do like the idea of having them on-screen as a visual element, just to add that little hit of accuracy. For instance, if you were playing as Link, there would be hearts on the screen with a few missing. When you get a Mushroom, you'd get more hearts, and you'd lose them again upon being hit. Similar for the other characters who have health in their own games.

In other words, keep the current damage system, but have health bars for certain characters as an indicator of your current "health level".

3. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I think it should be an option. The current way of playing should be the main way.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  4. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

I don't like the idea because it would ruin the idea of the game design. You want to give characters that had health to be in this game. Yes it can work. But honestly I like how the way it is now.

5. sbq92

This could potentially work, but I don't think I quite like the idea of pseudo health bars. I would rather either see proper health bars implemented or not at all.

I do think the current system works very well. But it's important to ask: is the current system the best system?

Also, for the sake of discussion (and out of curiosity :p), let's say someone had proposed the current system over a year ago (which I'm sure someone probably did...). How many would have opposed (or did oppose) the idea a year ago, when the game still ran under the old system, saying "the current system works fine"?

Scorpion42 likes this.
  6. Crownjo

Lets put it this way. If co-op happens it would impact this idea prolly. Not trying to bash your idea just sayin.

Is it the best system? If I am playing it a bunch of times and having a blast. I think that is a yes!

sbq92 likes this.
  7. sbq92

Don't worry about "bashing my idea." I was certainly not the first person to think or suggest health bars be added to the game. Also, while I think they would be interesting, my purpose in making this thread wasn't necessarily to advocate for their inclusion. I'm perfectly okay with them not being added. I just wanted to create a thread where the idea can be discussed, rather than the idea just coming up in other places from time to time. :)

Fair enough. However, didn't you have a blast under the old system? And do you really think health bars would keep you from "having a blast"? :p

8. Crownjo

I admit I did. 2.0 changed the gameplay style of the old one and made it better. This idea wouldn't really change anything to be honest. I don't know if I would have fun with a health system since it's mixing a unique character's rules with Mario's.

9. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

In the game now, it almost feels like some characters who had health bars should have them. However.. adding them in would give other characters even more power than they had before.. which they don't really need.

Perhaps if health pickups were made a bit rare if they were added, it would be better. I mean, gotta have some sort of risk in there.. Mega Man and Bass do decently enough already without the large health pools.

10. Crownjo

But for their levels in there game they needed their health bar. In this game not so much because it was designed that way.

11. Mr.Giang

Mr.Giang Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I like this idea but some characters would be overpower. So how about giving Simon a turkey (the players have to break the wall just like in Castlevania to find it) before fighting Bowser?

12. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Ryu and Simon are probably the main ones in feeling like they need a health bar. Many of the blaster/shooter characters who had them.. not so much.

sbq92 likes this.
  13. sbq92

I suppose one or two characters getting a health bar doesn't necessarily mean all characters who had health in their games must now have a health bar. It would be rather nice to give health bars to the characters who could most benefit from them, basically as you said. I'm pretty much just agreeing with you. :p

ThomasMink likes this.
  14. Overlord

Overlord Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

What if it was an option to have the characters with a health bar? That way people can choose what they want to play but have almost a penalty for playing with health bars? Like you don't get to unlock that many cheats if any, or giving players who play without health bars something worth while at the end? That would be a lot of work but everyone would be happy.

15. Crownjo

I honestly like it the way it is right now. I mean the current health system hasn't bothered me yet. Other then the other problems others had. I still enjoyed it.

TheomanZero likes this.
  16. huang17

huang17 Level 3: Paratroopa

Here is my own opinion.
    After collecting a Mushroom with all characters except Simon, Ryu, Bill, Mario and Luigi (Simon and Ryu can't refill their health bars in their original games) a health bar appears with 1 HP. Characters can then get more health from a ? box.
    Mega Man/Bass: Health Capsule
    Link: Hearts
    Samus: Energy Pickup
    SOPHIA: Power Pickup
    As soon as the health bar reaches zero, the character loses his or her powerups.

17. Overlord

Or Energy Tanks and Heart Containers. And they should die if their health reaches zero.

18. huang17

That would mean that characters would ALWAYS have a health bar, even without Mushroom.

19. Overlord

Well whatever works. Should be an option to change it though. Like a cheat. "Health Bar Cheat" or something and gives players who play with a character a Health bar. Even Mario since I know he was given one at some point. If not, I suppose it couldn't hurt...

20. huang17

Hey you're right. Mario got a health bar in SMB2(American).