Considering Host old versions of SMBC

Discussion in 'Features' started by myfriendwolf, Feb 23, 2012.

1. myfriendwolf

myfriendwolf Level 0: Newbie

Jay -
    I was wondering if you could possibly put the most recent version of SMBC 1 (1.2.03) back on the site (if not on the "Games" page, maybe a link on the "Version History" page under "Version 1.2.03"), or maybe put an option in the game to downgrade to 1.2.03 (maybe as a cheat, if it isn't one already). Or, if it is available, and I'm just an idiot, please tell me where. I understand that there are many reasons that you may not want to do this, and if you choose not to, the I support that decision. Thanks for reading this, anyway. :)

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Uh... the most recent, by definition, is 2.0 . :p But I get what you mean.
    The 1.2.03 archive has been requested but hosting SMBC has a prize, so it's preferable if only one version of the game is hosted on Exploding Rabbit.

However, the 1.0 can be played on Newgrounds.
    Here's the link: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/534416

uglyrodent likes this.
  3. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

uglyrodent and Rey D like this.
  4. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Not only did I fix you spelling error (when talking about stuff that has to be payed, it's "price", not "prize" which means reward), but I also noticed that he said "SMBC 1", which means everything up to and including 1.2.03.

5. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

I think it's not an issue to have old versions on our hard drives as long as they're not available anymore on the official site. Happens all the time throughout the net.

6. Rey D

Patron

→ Thanks about that spelling error.
    About the SMBC version, I was based on the title of the thread, which says "1.0" .

I still don't understand why you guys want to keep playing older version(s) of the game when the current version's obviously better.

uglyrodent likes this.
  7. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Indeed, why do people still want to play Super Mario Bros. when Super Mario All-Stars is available?

Rey D and Draken like this.
  8. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Say that to the 20,000 people playing old Tibia versions in pirated servers.
    It's the nostalgia factor. Seeing how the game improved over time by experimenting old versions.
    Screenshot_7.png

Edit: The day before i played Street Fighter 2 - World Warriors with FuZ and we had a lot of fun. Like playing Street Fighter 4 - Arcade Edition with my brother.

Rey D likes this.
  9. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I don't really understand why people would still want to play 1.0, but I do understand why some might want to play 1.2.03: they might long for the simplicity of that version, when there weren't so many items to worry about and Simon and Ryu could be totally wasteful with their sub-weapons because they didn't have ammo yet.

10. Rey D

Patron

Well I play with cheats when I want to enjoy that kind of thing.

11. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Mainly when Jay changes the NG version after. (I tried it some weeks ago, I chose Link and he didn't had the boomerang, neither 4 directions attack)

12. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

I agree with ReNex. I myself like to occasionally play older versions of SMBC for the nostalgia factor and to remind myself just how much this game has improved over time. Also, like TheomanZero said, I think version 2.0 changed so significantly from 1.2.03 that I can understand a minority of people preferring the older version.

13. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Hosting another version would end up costing Jay more money. So not gonna happen.