How about NOT allowing characters stamp enemy?

Discussion in 'Characters' started by wingfin, Mar 18, 2011.

1. wingfin

wingfin Level 1: Goomba

Most characters from their original games can't touch enemy. Only Mario can stamp his enemy.
    Maybe this could be made as an option.
    This could make Mario more unique and useful, also make this game a little harder

2. repairmanman

repairmanman Level 5: Spiny

While we appreciate your contribution, please use the wiki or the features request thread for feature requests.

3. wingfin

wingfin Level 1: Goomba

oh i see~

4. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

I think that isn't Mario that can stomp enemies, it's the enemies that are stomped if anyone jumps on it.

5. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I agree with wingfin. I made some suggestions about this subject in the feature request thread.

6. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

7. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Mario is the only one who gets a stamper (in Super Star Saga) so yes I think he should be the only one who can stamp his enemies.

8. yerffej

yerffej Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I think it's acceptable for everyone to stamp, since it's supposed to be NES characters in the SMB world, and that the enemies are stampable.

9. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Exactly what I think.

10. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

This is one of those fuzzy mechanics decisions that need to made when it comes to crossovers, but I think I'd have to agree with wingfin on this one.

Imagine if Jay made a future Contra crossover game with the SMBC roster. As we know, in the original Contra game, Bill dies each time he makes contact with an enemy. Would we say that Mario should die each time he makes contact with a Contra enemy as well because that's a property of Contra enemies? Likely not, since making contact is the only way Mario can defeat enemies without a fireflower or star. We would likely say that Mario should be able to stomp on Contra enemies since that it is his main form of attack. But I doubt we would say that Megaman could also stomp on Contra enemies, because it runs counter to the gameplay mechanics of both Contra and Megaman, and Megaman has a buster he can use. Even better, I'm certain we wouldn't say that Bill could stomp enemies, since that would completely change the Contra gameplay! Therefore, I see stomping as an attack, not a property of the enemy.

Of course, as wingfin pointed out, this problem can be resolved for everyone through an option in the options menu. Gotta love options.

11. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Make a cheat called Mario's the Man or something, but don't force it into the game. Some parts are really hard if you can't stomp enemies (imagine those lines of 3 spinys on extreme.

12. Mitewing

I mentioned this option could allow the guest characters to have a health meter of sorts based on their games of origin.

13. powergo

powergo Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I put that in the feature requests form as "Mario physics"

14. Yabuturtle

Yabuturtle Level 3: Paratroopa

I'd say Mario is fine the way he is. I would have thought it'd be better if no one could stomp except him but remember people often forget how useful Mario still is. He still runs much faster than the other characters and jumps farther, he's good at water levels since he's one of the few who can actually swim, aside from SOPHIA the 3rd and also, his projectile, no matter what difficulty it is, it still takes out enemies in 1 hit, making Mario's protectiles the strongest in the game.

15. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Actually, it takes two fireballs to kill a Blooper in Extreme.
    Welcome to the forums, BTW.

16. Yabuturtle

Yabuturtle Level 3: Paratroopa

Thanks and thanks for the correction. I checked and it also takes 2 fireballs to beat a Hammer Bros on Extreme mode, but regardless Mario has the strongest projectiles in the game. He doesn't shoot as many or as fast as the others, but his projectiles pack a powerful punch.

17. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

I think this sounds a bit unfair, but I have an idea of how this could be discouraged.
    In SMBC 1.2, Samus and SOPHIA received an ammo system--kill enemies, get ammo for super-powerful missiles. If I recall correctly, Jay was considering doing similar things for others.

As such, a balancing idea is...what if you couldn't get ammo from a kill if you jumped on the enemy?

18. Mitewing

Good idea

19. SMBC

SMBC Level 1: Goomba

Not Toad!Think at what happens at 1,2,3,4,5,6,7-4... "Thank You but our princess is in another castle!" Who says that??? Yep. I do want to be Toad in SMBC though. ;)

20. huang17

huang17 Level 3: Paratroopa

BOO! I want ALL characters to be able to stomp enemies!
    (If I could, I would make a petition for this)