How Could Skins Behave Differently

Discussion in 'Skins' started by MissingNo2, Jan 7, 2013.

1. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Thought I'd make a thread for detailing how a skin (not currently in the game) could differ from the original character. I'll just make an example with none other than Giana (over Mario).
    giana-difference-1.png
    First obvious difference out of the way; always one tile high. It's already been established that modifiable hitboxes will have to be figured out first, but I wouldn't put it behind them to figure that out. (and yes I know it looks a bit odd, but it's not that bad, really.)
    giana-difference-2.png
    Next difference; no run button. This is because Giana Sisters games never had a run button. Now I know you think this will cause a bit of problems in a certain level, but I have a possible workaround for that.
    giana-difference-3.png
    Difference three; slightly lower gravity. Really, nothing too noticeable, only just enough so she can make the jump in 8-1 without those stupid helper platforms.
    giana-difference-4.png
    And this is more or less an optional difference; fireballs bouncing off walls. That's how it worked with a certain powerup in the original game.

Go ahead and make your own for skins you'd like to see in the game.

UltraMario3000, huang17 and Mitewing like this.
  2. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

This is brilliant. I've been thinking about skins how they can possibly behave for a long time. I'm no programmer, but I would like to know what can easily be changed regarding gameplay mechanics. For example: What abilities can added, removed, or modified and to what extent? I hope customizable hitboxes are figured out. They would make so many more characters possible. I will post my ideas for characters shortly. Unfortunately, mine won't include awesome pictures like yours.

huang17 and MissingNo2 like this.
  3. Meg

Meg Level 5: Spiny

cocbass.png
    Difference 1: no dashing allowed. This is because every character combination doesen't have the chance to slide or dash in the original game.
    cocbass2.png
    Difference 2: different jumping mechanics. In Cocoron, when you press the jump button twice with the Jet or Wing bodies, you hover/fly. When you play as Bass in Mega Man 10, when you press the jump button twice, you double-jump. The hover/flying jump from Cocoron would be the mechanic used in the skin.

4. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Level 9: Spike Top

WRONG!!! XD

5. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

This.
    Ish.
    Bass got the doublejump in SMBC because he had it in other games that had him like Rockman & Forte.

Rey D, MissingNo2, Mitewing and 2 others like this.
  6. Mitewing

Let's discuss what's currently possible to make skins differently.

1. Remove specific powerups/abilities. Example: Pit doesn't have Samus's bombs.
    2. Change jump. Example: Quick Man doesn't have Bass's jump.
    3. Rearrange special ability. Example: Proto Man's charge shot.
    4. Change projectile height. Example: Proto Man
    5. Change number of shots. Example: Proto Man
    6. Change movement speed. Example: Quick Man

Anything else I missed? Is there anything else that can easily be changed regarding a skin's gameplay.

UltraMario3000 and MissingNo2 like this.
  7. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

I guess I'll ask here but is it possible for a skin like for Link based on Legacy of the Wizard or some other game like it for any character that has multiple playable characters the idea being...

The character sprites would differ depending on the weapon used depends on the skin and name displayed at the top. Such as the family from LotW pushing tab would alternate not just the sub weapon but the characters skin to the different family members from LotW. Or would that be too complicated in one skin?
    Example

Roas boomerang/ M Bommerang
    Xemn Bomb
    Meyna Bow
    Lyll Wand
    Pochi Invincible star

8. Mitewing

Here's how the Pac-Man skin Zarran and I collaborated on would differ from Mario to play more like Pac- Man.

1. Always moving forward. One can only change his direction.
    2. One hit kill, similar to Extreme mode.
    3. Run ability only works if he's Super Pac-Man.
    4. Cannot stomp enemies

Basically, he'd play like Mario with multiple handicaps.

Dimpsy likes this.
  9. Meg

Meg Level 5: Spiny

Bo-bop bop Louie bo-bop bop bop.
    • Difference 1: (optional) Not allowed to grab objects as Small Louie.
    • Difference 2: Either slightly slower or faster than Mario.
    • Difference 3: Can only stomp enemies if holding Down on the keyboard. That's how it worked in the original game.
    • Difference 4: Fireballs (or Popoons in this case) idmeddiately disinegrate when hitting a solid object. They do have a slight bounce when thrown, though.
    • Difference 5: Starmen effect lasts for a shorter time. That shorter time would be as long as exactly the "charge heart" that can appear above Louie when he charges his special weapon and fully charges it.

10. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Jumpman:
    • Can't run, per se
      • Instead of running, a movement speed is selected before each stage. There were 8 speeds in the original game, but I think a 'Slow, Medium, Fast' setup would work well enough.
        • That said, a helper platform or two might be needed for the slower run speeds...
    • Super-tight movement. That is, he always runs at full speed and can stop on a dime. Mario has momentum in his movement; Jumpman has none.
    In the end though, I'm fine with skins being skins.. which is why I don't really list any differences for my skins all that much. However, the 'tick tick tick tick' sound when he runs would be sorely missed, but also understood as to why it's not there.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  11. Mitewing

Might as well post my Fusion Suit Samus skin here:

Bombs: Blow up after 5 seconds instead of 3 seconds
    Morph Ball: Enable Spring Ball ability to allow for jumps while in ball form
    Wave Beam: No change
    Screw Attack: No change
    Ice Beam: Change to Plasma Beam to allow armor piercing, also will go through enemies.
    Missiles: Change to Ice Missiles. Will freeze enemies, but no longer can pierce armor, and causes less damage.
    Varia Suit: Change to Gravity Suit. Allows easier mobility while underwater.

12. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Old Man Skin (NES, SNES, and Game Boy): Sword does less damage, but Sword Beams do more.

Since the Old Man uses the Magic Rod instead of a sword, this would make sense, but it might be hard to balance. It's probably just a question of how much you change the damage values.

Mitewing likes this.
  13. Mitewing

I've been wondering how to make the Old Man different and that's really a good idea.

Anyway, here's my idea, with the 16 bit Contra games, the player could always hold two guns. Here's a possible way to do this. Whenever you pick up a gun, that becomes your primary weapon. Whatever you had prior becomes your secondary weaponry which can be fired with the Special button. Maybe since certain things can be hidden or deactivated, the Special button along with the Weapon icon can be disabled when using 8-bit skins.

14. Mitewing

Another idea. I posted this somewhere before, but I think I've improved on it.

Dr. Mario/Luigi

Fireball is changed to Megavitamin

Advantage: Armor Piercing
    Disadvantage: Slower speed, only one can be on screen at a time

This is emulating its abilities from Dr. Mario. It can kill everything, but it is slow and only one Megavitamin is available at a time.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  15. Mitewing

I'm going to make a list of existing skins and state how they can be improved. If I miss any or have better ideas, share them. I also may edit this post if no one responds for a while.

BASS
    Skull Man-Forward buster shots alternate from going straight to diagonal. Slower buster speed.
    Dr. Cossack-???
    Gemini Man-Buster bounces off walls. Mushroom adds holographic double
    Dr. Wily-???
    Mr. X-???
    Quick Man-Projectiles return to Quick Man

LINK
    Old Man-Magic Wand does less damage, but Magic Beam does more damage. Ice Arrows
    Ralph-???
    Christine-Arrows shoot quicker. Sword Beam becomes Fire Wand which can go through walls
    Erdrick/Roto/Loto-???
    Benjamin-???
    Cecil Dark Knight-???
    Cecil Paladin-???
    Bartz-???
    Hero/Heroine-???

LUIGI/MARIO
    Modern-Ground pound, wall jump, carry/kick enemies, Ice Flowers
    SML2-Carry/kick enemies, spin jump
    Space-Carry/kick enemies, spin jump, lower gravity
    SMW-Carry/kick enemies, spin jump
    SMB3-Carry/kick enemies, SMB bounce jump physics
    SMB2-Carry/throw enemies, crouch jump
    Demon-???

MEGA MAN
    Roll-No charged buster shot. Can only slide like MM3
    Dr. Light-???
    Quint-Weapon skins from MMV. Dashes instead of slides

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  16. A.D.A.M.

A.D.A.M. Level 6: Lakitu

Quint shouldn't be able to charge his buster, but keep his slide, since that's how it was in Mega Man II. Also, perhaps make Quint's shot do a little more damage, and make the Rock skin's shot do even more damage, to make up for the fact that Quint can't charge, and Rock can't charge nor slide.

Also, replace Roll's weapons with household cleaning items.
    Metal Blade = Dishes
    Hard Knuckle = a vacuum
    Pharaoh shot = A cloud of dust
    Charge Kick = A broom
    Flame Blast = Soap and suds
    Magma Bazooka = ????
    Water Shield = Plant Barrier
    Screw Crusher = A frying pan

17. Mitewing

Quint is based on MMV, because it has unique RM weapons for a GB only character. Quint also was in MMV. The dash is for the Break Dash that replaces the Charge Kick. The charged shot if for the Mega Arm.

About Roll, unless these ideas are actually sprites found in the MM games, I wouldn't consider them.

18. A.D.A.M.

A.D.A.M. Level 6: Lakitu

Roll does use a broom as her attack in Mega Man Powered Up. And there is the cartoon series, where she uses household devices as weapons.

19. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Dimpsy and Mitewing like this.
  20. Mitewing

If this makes Dr. Mario too OP, a solution is to make the Megavitamin 50% weaker, so all standard enemies take 2 hits to kill. This is similar to Dr. Mario gameplay in that most circumstances require at least two pills to kill a virus.

While posting, I thought I'd add a couple more skins not in the game.

Sniper Joe: Gameplay is based on MM1, MM2, and MM5. No charge shot, no sliding, always shoots 3 bullets. Essentially, Proto Man's version of Rock. Also as a bonus for him to have and not Proto Man, is the Jet Ski AKA Rush Marine utility.

Machine Gun Joe: No charge shot, no sliding, rapid fire buster with 6 shots, 8 shots with Mushroom. This emulates his appearances in MM9 and MM10. Also, instead of the Jet Ski, he can turn into Harpoon Joe from the mobile game Mega Man: Rush Marine.