HUGE Samus

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Dilophosaurus, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Dilophosaurus

Dilophosaurus Level 1: Goomba

Hey guys, don't you think Samus is too big compared to the other characters? I mean, she's much taller than Bill and Simon, who are humans just like her ( In game boy skins, she's almost twice as tall as them!). Plus, Samus is a girl, (girls are, in average, shorter than guys) and Simon and Bill are tall, muscular dudes.

Yes, I know Mario is human too, but he is cartoonish, besides being shorty.

2. Molly Jayne

Molly Jayne Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Samus Aran is canonically 6'3". And no, that's not in the suit.

I honestly never even thought about her size in relation to the other characters (Link and Jason are unusually small, for instance), but it does still make sense. Sort of. For the default skins, at least.

The characters' sizes really have more to do with their gameplay mechanics than their "actual size" in comparison to the other characters, anyway. It's just too complicated to do it any other way.

Rey D and Mitewing like this.
  3. Dilophosaurus

Dilophosaurus Level 1: Goomba

Yes, I agree with you about the gameplay mechanics
    I think that would be an additional reason to adjust Samus'' size ( or perhaps Bill, Ryu and Simon's), since:
    -In NES skins, Samus' height is the same as Bill, Ryu and Simon's
    -In SNES skins, Samus is slightly taller than Bill, Ryu and Simon
    - In GB skins, Samus is HUGE compared to Bill, Ryu and Sion

The fact that some sprites change considerably in terms of size when swapping consoles affects gameplay. I don't think this was Jay's purpose when adding skins to the game.

4. Molly Jayne

That's more of an issue with the sources than anything else. It's enough work making the custom skins that need to be made, there's no reason to make extra work just so all the skins fit the exact size of the base sprites. That also goes against accuracy to the source material, which is a huge part of SMBC.

Admittedly, some of the size differences get pretty noticeable, but I haven't seen it really affect gameplay much, if at all. Not with Samus or Ryu, at least. I don't really play as Bill or Simon...

5. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I would advocate for having hitbox changes as you swap consoles. I agree with you though, there's a problem with some of Samus' skins, her head sticks into the ceiling in 2-tile high hallways if you use her SNES skin.

But aside from that, it's how the characters are designed, there's not really anything you can do about it.

thecatreturns123 and Rey D like this.
  6. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

If we resize Samus, we have to make Sophia a to-scale tank. So I support this entirely.

7. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Samus' sprites are simply too big. Is there really anything one can do about it if we keep accuracy toward the original sprites?

The only gameplay changes with skin changes are:
    * "Haggle Man" on Ryu: faster sword slash ;
    * "Proto Man" on Mega Man: lower shooting point.

Like alice said, Samus' collision box doesn't change. If you go in a "2 blocks" tall way, you'll see her head sprite get over the "ceiling" sprite.

uglyrodent likes this.
  8. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Didn't know this.

But yeah, the thing here is Samus was put in at her native resolution.

Plus, I'm sure a lot of height is added by the suit. There's so much technology in there that I'm sure it adds like a foot. And if Smash Bros is trustworthy in terms of scale, Samus is about 5' 6" anyway.

9. Molly Jayne

Given that Smash Bros. is canonically about trophies/toys of the characters coming to life and fighting, I doubt much stock can be put in the relative sizes of the characters.

(Besides, Samus is stated to be 6'3" in various official sources, starting with the Metroid II instruction manual.)

uglyrodent likes this.
  10. French rocks

French rocks Level -1: Banned

Is that really important? No! Samus is awesome and her size in pixels doesn't matter to me, she's awesome.

11. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Smash Bros isn't canon in the environment, I know that much (load up the Great Fox level and give it a good look if you don't know what I mean), but I thought they kept the character sizes fairly accurate.

Although thinking back, she's about as tall in her zero suit as she is in the powersuit in the game, and that can't be right.

Yes. Yes it is. More important than anything else.

12. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I'll admit it's awkward that GB Samus' head pokes into the ceiling, but since those are her official sprites from Metroid II, I'm hesitant to replace them.
    Samus' 16-bit sprites are an edited re-shade, so those could maybe be replaced, but I don't think there's much point to changing that one and not the GB one, and as I said, I don't think we should change the GB one.

13. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

The tops of characters poking into ceiling tiles has been a part of 2D gaming for a very long time. Even Mario does it in several of his games. In fact, when Mario's crouching in SMB, he's still higher than the 16 pixel height of a single block, so he juts into the ceiling as well. Unless the character is something like halfway through a ceiling, it isn't really an issue at all.

aliceandsven likes this.