Request Ice Man gameplay changes

Discussion in 'Features' started by Mitewing, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I was watching a play through of Mega Man Powered Up and it mentioned Ice Man cannot move forward while shooting his buster/Ice Beam. This is similar to Bass. Maybe this could be considered. I don't know if the damage he's able to do should be adjusted to compensate or not.

2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I think he is fine as he is and doesn't need gameplay from new games. He's already differentiated from the other skins, and this just seems kind of pointless.

3. Mitewing

I like him the way he is now, too. I just thought I'd point out his gameplay differences from his only playable appearance if we're striving for accuracy.

luigiman64 likes this.
  4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Yeah, I don't know about this. He already actually does less damage to compensate for the fact that he can freeze enemies, yet he would have to do more damage to compensate for not being able to move. I think he's balanced pretty well already, so I don't think I'll be making any more changes to him.

ThomasMink and Mitewing like this.
  5. aliceandsven

In the context of classic retro gaming, there is no "accurate gameplay" to emulate for Ice Man (unless he was in one of those soccer or racing spin-offs or some shit).

6. Mitewing

Mega Man Powered Up is a remake of Mega Man 1. I believe this would qualify as "retro gaming".

7. aliceandsven

The game is still very different from the original, and is clearly made with a modern perspective. Compare it to MM9 or 10 which have clear retro focus, or Ducktales Remastered, which are updated in certain ways but still true to the original feel and design.

8. Mitewing

It's still a remake of an NES game with new characters and concepts that have since been retconned into Mega Man's continuity. There's actually a retro mode in that game without the new Robot Masters and has the NES music. I'm just more lenient in what I consider "retro". For example the "NEW" Super Mario series does have a retro focus while at the same time have a modern perspective.

9. Mitewing

Here's the video if anyone is curious.

10. Mitewing

Another idea is that he cannot move while he charges buster/fires it. Normal shots he can still run since they do not freeze anything.

11. A.D.A.M.

A.D.A.M. Level 6: Lakitu

I think all the characters from Mega Man Powered Up should be playable with the same gameplay, except Oil Man who sucks.

12. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

No need for the attitude there.
    But blatant racism aside, I think all the characters should be given a chance for that.

13. A.D.A.M.

A.D.A.M. Level 6: Lakitu

The only way I could imagine playing Oil Man in SMBC is if the stomp cheat is on. Oil Slider is sort of as worthless as Top Spin. You usually end up only damaging yourself whenever you use it. And that is the only real attack Oil Man has.
    As for the racism thing, SMBC could just do what Archie Comics did with Oil Man, and pull his scarf up above his lips so he doesn't look like he's in blackface.

Mitewing likes this.
  14. Mitewing

Below are the abilities of the Robot Masters. Most of which are probably not possible, so creativity will be needed:

04. CUT MAN (DLN 003)
    ---------------------
    Everyone's favorite scissors-throwing robot is back and cuter than ever. He
    can only use the Rolling Cutter, and aiming is somewhat of a problem with
    him. Cut Man's special ability is wall-jumping: Jump against a wall, then
    press the opposite directional button and hit jump again. Most people liken
    this to the X series, but I prefer to compare it more to wall-jumping like
    Samus does in the sidescrolling Metroid games (Super, ZM, Fusion). As long as
    there is enough wall, there is no limit to how many times you can wall-jump.
    05. GUTS MAN (DLN 004)
    ----------------------
    Next to Rock, Guts Man is probably the most difficult Robot Master to play as,
    simply because his only real ability is creating Guts Blocks and using them
    as projectiles or platforms. His delay in creating and actually throwing is
    horrendous, but if you can get the timing down, he's a powerful character. He
    can also break through the compacted dirt you'll find in some sections by
    headbutting it or stomping on it, an ability useful for getting some of the
    Construction Packs. I recommend using Guts Man's challenges as a means of
    familiarizing yourself with how to effectively use him.
    06. ICE MAN (DLN 005)
    ---------------------
    Ice Man may be mentally conflicted (he orders himself around like a deranged
    military general), but his Ice Slasher is capable of freezing any foe in its
    tracks, and once frozen, Ice Man can use that foe as a platform of sorts
    temporarily, making this almost like another Samus clone (the Ice Beam, any-
    one?). Ice Man has the added benefit of traction control, which keeps him from
    slipping and sliding on icy surfaces.
    07. BOMB MAN (DLN 006)
    ----------------------
    Our resident explosives expert is actually more versatile than I initially
    expected. He throws Hyper Bombs, but the arcs can be controlled by pressing
    the directional buttons (for instance, pressing Down + Attack lays one at your
    feet, while Left/Right + Attack hurls one further than normal). Bomb Man has a
    slight problem with aiming, but it's not as much of a handicap as it seems to
    be with Cut Man. The biggest problem is just the delay in the detonation - the
    bombs only go off immediately if you directly hit an enemy.
    08. FIRE MAN (DLN 007)
    ----------------------
    Two words: Pyromaniac Southerner. Fire Man's voice is quite amusing to listen
    to, and he's a well-rounded character to boot. His Fire Storm weapon creates
    blasts of fire that travel forward while surrounding him briefly with fire-
    balls, but this ability is dampened if Fireman comes into contact with water.
    For this single reason, fighting the CWU-01P boss is a major pain as all you
    can use is the watered-down (literally) orbiting fireballs as your weapon.
    Fire Man can fire rapidly, and he doesn't suffer from the delay in being able
    to move after attacking that some Masters do, like Cut Man. Playing as him is
    fun just to hear him shriek "Justice wins!" after winning a fight.
    09. ELEC MAN (DLN 008)
    ----------------------
    He's a cocky one, no doubt about that. Playability isn't much of an issue with
    this character, as he's basically Mega Man with the Thunder Beam always on.
    His special power is that he can shoot charges into special blocks and get
    them to move, and his Thunder Beam is the same as when you fight him and gain
    his weapon, in that it's a tri-directional weapon. Other than that, Elec Man
    doesn't have anything terribly special.
    10. TIME MAN (DLN 009)
    ----------------------
    This new Robot Master is actually an interesting experiment. He's a prototype
    of Flash Man, and unlike other Robot Masters, he actually has two abilities:
    his Clock Hand and Time Slow moves. Clock Hand is a projectile attack that
    shoots clock hands in diagonal directions (think Twin Slasher from Mega Man X4
    as a reference), and he activates the Time Slow by charging up for a few
    seconds and then releasing. As the name implies, this slows down the passage
    of time, allowing him to get through some areas normally inaccessable. The
    problem is that like Oil Man, this stuff is more gimmick than anything else,
    and on the whole, he comes off as an attempt just to raise the count to eight.
    11. OIL MAN (DLN 010)
    ---------------------
    I'm not sure what the creative thought process was behind this Robot Master
    other than a simplistic boss to add to the mix in order to raise the count to
    eight. Oil Man is essentially Mega Man with only the Oil Slider as an ability,
    but playing as him is more of a pain than it needs to be, in my opinion. His
    weapon is more gimmicky than useful, and he has such poor range that the only
    real method of attacking is just to ride the Slider everywhere. He does, how-
    ever, have the benefit of not slipping on the oil slicks.

15. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

You know... ever since MM3 was released, I always said Top Spin was completely worthless... but it actually does have some potential use. Wily 1 of the game, in particular, is insanely weak to the weapon. The only enemies you can't destroy with it are the Hammer Joes. Even the boss of the stage, who everyone and their mother says is weak to Shadow Blade... yea, it gets raped even harder by Top Spin, and you won't even hurt yourself using it.

Power Stone is now my lowest of the low. I mean, it was almost there before.. but, now it stands alone.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    Mitewing and Faruga like this.