I'm a noob to skins, so how do I make one?

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Captain Knight, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

Well, don't be a troll, but can someone give me a brief explanation of how to make a skin sheet?

2. Keke

Keke Level 2: Koopa

You download a spritesheet for a character you want to make the skin for, like this one for example.
    If you want to stay true to NES colors you could also download this color palette.
    [​IMG]
    Then you open the spritesheet in your favorite image editing program. Paint works just fine but you can also use other programs (Photoshop or gimp for example) if you feel more comfortable with a different one. Then you can start editing the spritesheet, just start painting over the characters in the spritesheet. You can make a recolor or you can change the character completely, the possibilities are endless. You can use the color palette if you want, but it doesn't matter really what colors you use since SMBC is made in Flash, and Flash can handle any color I believe. The background color shouldn't matter. When you are done just save your creation in an image format, I believe PNG is the preferred format. I believe Jay is going to release official spritesheets for each character, but it shouldn't be a problem if you have already used another sheet because you should be able to move the characters from a sheet to another without bigger problems.

I hope that was atleast a little helpful:)

Captain Knight and aliceandsven like this.
  3. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Haha. Well, we don't have the official boxes so it's hardly possible. The pre-released boxes for Mario and ennemies released by Mr.Jay Pavlina have all the sprites needed, so you can use them. You could make your own character boxes, but you have to make sure every moves and projectiles are in the sheet and it'd be better if your boxes aren't too big. Then you can simply paste the sprites needed from the character you'd like to insert. The best site I've been looking on is yet The Spriters Resource, given by Mr. Jay Pavlina, for that.
    Keke's palette above is from the Wikipedia, allowing you to recolor if that's what you want, or make a new fresh 8-bit character. Though I didn't find the medusa heads yellowish color in it.

And yes, PNG is the best format I know for that kind of thing.
    Bitmap (BMP) files aren't allowed in most of sites.
    JPEG or JPG files are used for photos, but they change they make some weird effects, which can be some problem with sprites.
    Finally, GIF files have a really limited color palette, and if you're not in it, it will make some weird pattern and your sprites will look weird.

Captain Knight and aliceandsven like this.
  4. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Thank you guys for being so helpful.

Like they said, we're going to have to wait to see the official sprite sheets and hit boxes to know exactly how to do it.

5. Rey D

Patron

I don't really feel like I did anything special.

6. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Rey D and Captain Knight like this.
  7. Rey D

Patron

Thank you. :) I just fixed it on my post.

8. ShadowFox98

ShadowFox98 Level 1: Goomba

Thanks! I'm now going to work on a skin now!