Item Skins?

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Mambo, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Mambo

Mambo Level 2: Koopa

I was wondering why the basic powerups don't match or conform to the character/skin in play. I mean, wouldn't it make more sense if...well, a picture is worth a thousand words:

suggested_powerups.jpg

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

The reason the item power-ups don't match the characters is because they are linked to the map skins rather than to the characters.

3. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

The flamethrower is already in the game as a powerup, bill doesn't collect fireflowers either (unless i'm remembering incorrectly.

It would be cool if characters had different starman effects and such, but as just a skin for the item pickup some of those wouldn't make a lot of sense. Like the invisibility potion is only supposed to turn you invisible, not let you touch and kill enemies. And the cross kills all enemies on screen and doesn't give you an extra life.

uglyrodent likes this.
  4. Mambo

Guess I should've went into detail as to what I actually want to happen, huh?

Ok...for example, whenever you're playing as "Ryu", a Starman would appear as the icon in the table. Whenever Ryu acquires it, instead of "glowing", he'd be surrounded by protective fireballs like in his game. However, it would still knock enemies off (rather than making them explode) upon contact as Star-power would.

In Simon's case, he'd become "invisible" like when he gets the potion-thingy in his game, but it would still kill enemies whenever he touches them. Phasing through enemies would also be ok, though.

Basically, it's a matter of adapting the closest elements from the characters' respective games into the SMBC world.

5. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I'd personally rather just have them keep the star, instead of killing enemies with the invisible potion, for example. That doesn't match the original functionality of the potion.

Rey D and TheomanZero like this.
  6. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Plus, I'd rather have Ryu's Fire Wheel as a usable sub-weapon, like in NG 2 & 3.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  7. jan mathew

jan mathew Level 2: Koopa

I agree with TheomanZero

8. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Then don't make a meaningless quote. Click the big red Like button below his post instead.

Rey D likes this.
  9. jan mathew

jan mathew Level 2: Koopa

If firewheel was a real powerup maybe it should work like Megaman's Bubble shield

10. Mambo

You know, I've just noticed that the "Star-power" effect for Simon looks kinda reminiscent of the invisibility thing in Castlevania...anyone knows if that was intentional?

11. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

It was totally intentional.
    Even if the fact that he kills enemies by touching them isn't accurate to the original game, it's still meant to be as close as possible.

uglyrodent likes this.
  12. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I believe there was a thread requesting this at one point.

That or it was mentioned on Ryu's thread.

I can't say I like Ninja Gaiden that much but I like that idea.

#minor derail