Jay Pavlina Interview - Fist Full of Potions

Discussion in 'Exploding Rabbit' started by Ganymede, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Ganymede

Ganymede Level 5: Spiny

This thread is for discussing the interview located here!

I for one am pretty excited about all the awesome stuff that's been mentioned here! For those who are wondering, I can't reveal any secrets about the projects that were mentioned because the ER team works in a dimly lit, machiavellian chat room wherein there are secret codes between each individual staffer, and our minds are blanked at the end of each meeting. The grand archives are kept by a demon named Frankie Munez (coincidence) who lives in Jay's computer, randomly spewing forth relevant bits of the knowledge we've accrued when the need for it arises. Happy viewing everybody, and haaaaaail Frankie!

2. Anon1548

Anon1548 Guest

I love this interview. It was very funny, very detailed, very down-to-earth, yet funny. In the last interview you were kind of nervous, but in this one you were totally calm, which is a good thing. You got along with that guy very well which made this interview very enjoyable.

It would be quite interesting to hear from you, how you felt about this interview. It would also be interesting to hear from you how you felt about this one compared to the last one.

I'm looking forward to your future projects. Also about the chat: you've heard it guys, working on the chat means not working on the game. In other words: working on the chat = upward thrusting, working on the game = downward thrusting.

Anyway, thanks to Jay for this great interview and I also *want to* thank Ryuza for the awesome skins and the great work on SMBC in general.

*have to thank, because Jay forced me to, ;P*

3. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Very cool, very cool. I can't wait to finally experience 2.0!

4. Captain Rizer

Captain Rizer Level 5: Spiny

Well From this interview I guess we will have to wait till 2.1 for a new character.

Poo.

PS Was I the only one who noticed that they both felt a little awkward throughout the whole interview?

5. Ganymede

Ganymede Level 5: Spiny

From what I've heard of it, 2.0 is gonna WAY MORE than make up for there not being a new character, which I still don't think we can rule out entirely. I mean, if Jay's seen fit to bump it up an entire version number, it's got to be pretty dang good, right?

6. Captain Rizer

You do have a good point there Mr. Gany, I was a little surprised Jay didn't talk about doing other LPs or just other videos in general besides his movies.

I'm not sure about you guys but I wanna see another Jay Talks back!

7. aliceandsven

I thought he's calling it 2.0 because he had to rewrite the entire graphics architecture or whatever?

8. Captain Rizer

I think he is just making it replaceable and to fit with a certain sheet. Rewriting the entire graphics architecture seem like a little much.

9. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

As I understand it, let me think...
    "2.0 will change everything you know about the game".
    That quote might not be accurate to the letter, but...

Anyway, I expect pretty big changes.

10. Please

Please Level 6: Lakitu

I personally think that working on the game is downward thrusting and not working on the game is hovering in space with your sword drawn downwards wanting to thrust but not being able to.

11. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

Hey all :)

For those wondering I figured I'd clear something up real quick; 2.0 did need the programming behind graphics redone to work with the sheets, but thats just a background thing, the reason we're jumping up to 2.0 is cause of the actual content coming up.

I don't think any big changes in the programming of the game that don't affect the gameplay will ever constitute a higher version number, so when theres a big jump in the number you can probably expect a big jump in content.

That's all I can say for now though ;)

12. aliceandsven

So does the "big jump in content" of 2.0 constitute mainly the ability to skin? Or is there more content even larger than the skinning?

13. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

So based on what you've said, it sounds like we are getting more game modes and options, but not necessarily changes to the characters' gameplay. Amirite?

14. Captain Rizer

Obviously I'm not Ryuza but in my opinion, I don't think that the character's need improving. Everybody has a good moveset.

15. jbiggs

jbiggs Level 0: Newbie

Hey Jay,

I am a big fan, love the videos SMBC, I played all versions except the one coming out with the new skins cant wait. I know you get this a lot probably but, your a huge inspiration on me as a video game guy, and a computer programmer. I too want to learn programming, I know no mountain is too high to climb, but sometimes I get down on myself it sucks. Anyway, thanks for the inspiration I hope one day I can get far as programming and stuff like that.

Jbiggs

16. Please

Please Level 6: Lakitu

I could've sworn I already said this here, but I guess I didn't:

This interview is great, the interrogator had excellent questions and the interrogatee had excellent everything, but from a film making perspective I think this video would benefit greatly by adding some background music.

17. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

They are good, but I think Jay mentioned a long time ago he wants the characters to play as close as possible to their original games, without compromising gameplay; meaning maybe more weapons and/or abilities. Of course, he could've changed his mind now. I was actually alluding to the next version possibly having the best suggestions found in the Feature Requests.

18. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

Been a bit busy so it took me a bit to get back to you guys, I can't say too much about the update without spoiling something but I will say this, the skins will be a much bigger change then what everyone is expecting. ;)

19. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

It's more than just skins, but everything is centered around the skins, so don't expect much other new stuff. When you see it, you'll see how much different it is. It's called version 2.0 because this is a whole new vision of the game that opens it up to new possibilities. It's the most significant change I've made by far.

And I've had to do TONS of programming to get the skins working. I have most of the skinning features in, but there are bugs everywhere, so I'm trying to fix them now.

20. aliceandsven

Type that shit, mother fucker!