Request Kirby Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by aliceandsven, Mar 23, 2011.

1. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I'm hoping to see Kirby as an addition for a new character in the future. I see he's rather popular among most people here, and he's a very iconic character for the NES. Thankfully, there is a lot of potential for Kirby's power-ups already featured in SMBC, so he would fit right in without too much customization.

Basics

Kirby can suck up certain bricks (the breakable ones) one at a time and then launch them as a projectile star. He can suck up "useless" enemies and shoot them as stars as well. Down + Jump allows him to slide. Pressing Jump in in mid air will allow him to inhale and puff up to do a couple "air jumps". In order to keep him balanced he would need some sort of limit to his flight. Pressing attack allows him to suck things up, if he's puffed-up, then he'll shoot out a puff of air. The special button will allow him to drop his current power up. Inhaling two enemies at once will allow him to spit out the "super star shot" (i don't know what it's called). If it is possible as far as SMBCs mechanics are concerned, maybe double tapping a direction could allow him to start dashing in that direction.

Power Up System

I have a couple different ideas for how Kirby's power up system will work. The main difference is how the Super Mushroom functions (there isn't really a power from the kirby games that we can translate to the Super Mushroom).

I. Kirby starts the game with a black and white sprite, he cannot get powered up, he can only suck things up to shoot them as stars or just swallow them to no effect (emulating how he played in the gameboy game). By touching a Mushroom, he gets his colored NES sprite and can now begin collecting power-ups.

II. Kirby begins with his NES sprite, but gets the ability to Puff, Fly, Slide, and/or Dash only after touching a mushroom.

III. Kirby begins with his NES sprite and all of his maneuvers, the Mushroom doesn't do anything.

So the Mushroom is useless?? No, in all cases Kirby will be able to suck up power-up items (Mushroom, Fire Flower, Star Man) and shoot them as a Super Star. In order to power up with the Fire Flower, he will have to swallow it. He can just touch the Starman though (since all he has to do in his own game is touch the Lollipop for invincibility). This gives Fire Flowers a use even if you don't want that specific power-up, or if you already have it.

The Ability List

By swallowing the following items or enemies, Kirby will get the corresponding power up (only one power up can be used at a time, you have to press Special to let go of your current power up in order to swallow another)

Spiny -> Needle
    Hammer Bro. -> Hammer
    Podobo -> Fireball
    Koopa -> Kirby can either spit out a shell or swallow it to gain an ability like Wheelie, except he becomes a pink colored Shell instead of a Wheel and will bounce off walls just like Koopa Shells do.
    Fire Flower -> Flame Breath
    While in Water -> spitting out water, direction controlled by d-pad, kirby can also swim

Music

Select Kirby - (12 Seconds, will it fit?)
    Enter Pipe to Underground -
    Overworld -
    Underground - ???
    Coin Heaven - ???
    Castle -
    Underwater -
    Invincible -
    Lose a Life -
    Game Over -
    Grab the Axe -
    Save the Princess -

Here are some previous thoughts on Kirby that I would like to include:

rednukleus: "Honestly I would prefer that Kirby simply play with no powers, like in Kirby's Dreamland. He would already be nearly invincible in Super Mario Bros. with his base inhale & spit ability. Let the mushroom grant a hitpoint and change him from white to pink, and the flower make the stars he spits out get stronger. Alternatively, the flower could behave like the spicy food from Kirby's Dreamland (which is essentially the Fire ability, but hey, I'm brainstorming).

Kirby games are already extremely easy. If Super Mario Bros. were a Kirby game it would be far easier than even Kirby's Dreamland. I think the old school Kirby is a much better fit for a game with such simplistic enemies."
    Walrus: "I also think it's important that Buzzy Beetles and Spike Tops cannot be inhaled. They exist in Mario as the anti-powerup bad guys, and it's not like there aren't enemies in Kirby that can't be swallowed. Letting Kirby eat them would make Hard and Extreme as easy as Normal, if not easier because of the power-ups these enemies give him!" post

Cheese: "Unlimited flying should be fine since anyone that wants to beat a level with anything resembling speed will have to fly as little as possible.
    Kirby's flying has always been really really slow, so I think most people would quickly realize that trying to fly over every level would be a pain in the ass."
  2. powergo

powergo Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Kirby Is the one charicter I dream of for SMBC. I think Idea number one:
    is fair, since it incoperates copy abilitys nicely, throuh you may be able to touch the fire flower since kirby can still obtain abilitys from trophy stands.
    Also, you may be able to skin mega man to look like kirby if kirby is not added, since he can slide, and buster shots can be replaced with stars, and rush with ????
    But I hope we wont have to end up doing that!!!

Eric Thorstad likes this.
  3. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

When getting Starman, you can use the "Crash" ability.

With paratroopa you can use the "Parasol" ability

4. aliceandsven

Thank you two for reminding me about Trophy Stands and Crash. Those are good ideas!

I thought about Parasol, and even High-Jump, but I personally don't think getting a parasol from a paratroopa makes sense (since they're not carrying a parasol, they just have wings). Kirby doesn't get a wing related ability until the GBA I think.

I added a music section so we can start brainstorming about that.

5. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I think a mix of aliceandsven's ideas would be great.

Basic: Black and white sprite. Can suck up enemies but cannot absorb their abilities. Can dash, slide, suck up bricks, suck up air to fly, and can shoot the air out (could potentially have limited flying ability like in Super Smash Bros. to avoid super cheap speedrunning).
    Super Mushroom: Pink NES sprite. Can dash, slide, suck up air to flying, can shoot the air out, and can absorb abilities from enemies and the Fire Flower.
    Fire Flower: Simply Flame Breath ability, as aliceandsven has said. It can be discarded with the Special button.

Getting hit would cause Kirby to lose his current ability and go down to the appropriate power level (difficulty dependent). IMO, gaining and losing basic abilities like dashing and sliding throughout the game seems unnecessarily complex, so Kirby should begin with dashing, sliding, and flying.

So yeah, basically what aliceandsven said, but with a few modifications. These are my thoughts on Kirby's abilities in the game. Oh, and I like aliceandsven's ideas for the abilities absorbed from enemies. However, the Wheel clone is going to be awfully common, considering next to Goombas the Koopas are the most common enemies in the game. I personally don't think Wheel is a good enough ability (or perhaps even fun enough...) to be that common. Perhaps something else?

6. aliceandsven

Oh yeah I forgot about that too, dropping stuff when he gets hit.

Maybe Koopas can give him Stone instead of Wheelie? Or they won't give him an ability and Kirby can just shoot out a shell instead of a star

7. Sergy92

Sergy92 Level 7: Bloober

I don't know what to choose. But actually, Kirby is a must-be in SMBC.

8. sbq92

Maybe Stone... Spitting out a shell instead of a star is kinda cool, too. It would give him a sort of "Yoshi" feel. It would be nice to get an ability, though. Hmm... Upon further reflection, I think Wheel could actually work. Also, I'm rather in favor of the Parasol from the Paratroopas.

How about this setup:

Goomba/Blooper/Cheep Cheep/Piranha Plant (and Bullet Bill? Or perhaps Bullet Bills can't be swallowed...)
    [​IMG]

Note that Blooper should be programmed to give nothing just in case Kirby ends up being able to swallow one somehow. Also, Cheep Cheeps (flying and underwater) should give nothing.

Fire Flower
    [​IMG]

I would like to point out that I find the idea of the Fire Flower acting as just one among many abilities a great idea. I probably would never have thought of that.

Koopa Troopa
    [​IMG]

Koopa Paratroopa
    [​IMG]

Spiny (and Spike Top? Or perhaps Spike Tops can't be swallowed...)
    [​IMG]

Buzzy Beetle (if Buzzy Beetles can be swallowed...)
    [​IMG]

Lakitu
    [​IMG]

Hammer Bro.
    [​IMG]

Podoboo
    [​IMG]

Eric Thorstad and World 1-1 like this.
  9. bnjay29

bnjay29 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Maybe he can have an exclusive ability: Eat a koopa troopa, get shell ability. He turns into a pink version of the koopa shell and spins at his enemies. Basically an alternate version of wheel.

And I realize as I post this, a reference to new super mario bros., LOL.

10. sbq92

This exact idea was actually already posted by aliceandsven. :p

Personally, I wouldn't be entirely opposed to a SMBC-unique Shell ability, but I think I would rather see existing abilities put into the game rather than unique ones. It seems like if it's going to function like Wheel, and all of the other abilities he gets are from his games, why not just stick with Wheel?

11. aliceandsven

"Bullet Bill?"

Y'know what would be freaking awesome? Swallowing a Bullet Bill and then shooting it back out again!!

The reason why I suggested a custom pink-shell is because, turning into a wheel after you swallow a turtle doesn't make much sense. The same reason why I'm not sure about Parasol, because paratroopas don't carry umbrellas. I'm not sure about Buzzy Beatles or Lakitus, either.

Kirby should not be able to swallow Spike-Tops or he'll be way too overpowered. Or if Jay feels like being clever, swallowing a spike-top will actually hurt you!

Also, I'm not sure whether or not Kirby should be able to swallow the Hammer Bro itself, or just the Hammer.

12. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

You guys are so creative! Playing with Kirby in SMBC would be fun!
    I think Kirby shouldn't be allowed to swallow Buzzy Beetles and Spike Tops, as they're supposed to be invincible except bouncing and missiles. And swallowing a hammer to get a power? No, I don't like it. Swallowing a Hammer Bro. give you a power, but a projectile should just allow you to launch it as a star.

13. bnjay29

bnjay29 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Hahaha....aliceandsven I can't believe I skipped over that part in your post! Great minds think alike I guess, lol.

14. sbq92

I don't think Kirby should be allowed to swallow hammers. He doesn't generally swallow projectiles in his own games, and the ability to use a hammer would come from the Hammer Bros., not from the hammers themselves.

As for the Koopas, I was thinking about it, and I think the Wheel/Shell might just be too powerful, for the same reasons Link having the Pegasus Boots would be too powerful. Simply plowing through enemies is way too broken for SMBC. I think it should probably be that Kirby can spit the shells out again (like Yoshi) and swallowing them gives him nothing. This would apply to all Koopa Troopas--green, red, flying. It is true that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to get Parasol from a turtle. Parasol is a fun ability, and if anything were to give it Paratroopas would, but sometimes we just need to be more practical.

Lakitu is another issue of practicality over awesomeness. Swallowing a Lakitu wouldn't always going to be easy, but it would be possible in every level he appears in, and then having UFO would just be broken. However, as in Kirby's Adventure, the UFO could be gone after the level ends, and Kirby just goes back to normal (the pink Kirby). Otherwise, Lakitu should probably just give nothing (even though it would be expected that an enemy like him would give you something).

Regarding the Buzzy Beetles and Spike Tops, I'm thinking they should probably be immune to being sucked in. Bullet Bills I'm not sure about, though. Being able to spit a Bullet Bill back out again would be cool, but then again, they are an invincible enemy along with the Buzzy Beetles and Spike Tops, so I'm thinking they should probably be immune to being sucked in as well.

15. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

What about getting "Fireball" with bullet bill? I know BB hasn't anything to do with fire, but it flies in the same way.

16. Rey D

Patron

There's a major problem with Kirby. He may be overpowered. As far as I remember, except bosses and mid-bosses (if there were), every single enemy takes one hit to die. Am I wrong?

17. sbq92

That is true. However, in Kirby Superstar the enemies actually had health bars and therefore took more than a single hit to kill. Enemies took a single hit in Ninja Gaiden as well, but Ryu still has to hit them several times. There is precedent. Kirby can be made to work well without being overpowered. :)

18. Rey D

Patron

Good to read. I think your current ideas for Kirby fit very well SMBC.
    I just wanna talk about his fly. It should be limited to about 5 "jumps" maximum before falling and a cheat would allow you to fly undefinitely like with Sophia. A cheat that would be unlocked by sonething like finishing the game once with Kirby.

19. powergo

powergo Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Sorry for any spelling mistakes...
    Remember, there are 2 kinds of koopas.(green and red) I have a few Ideas on how two make this work...
    1.swalowing a green koopa gives you nothing and swalowing a red kopa gives you stone/wheel
    2.swalowing a green koopa gives you stone and swalowing a red kopa gives you wheel
    3.swalowing a green koopa gives you wheel/stone and swalowing a red kopa gives you burning (becouse Podoboo's cant be attacked in any fation)

as to what can be swallowed...
    Latu- CAN (normaly mini boses cant be swaload, but you have to reach him first with out getting hit, right)
    buzzy betle- NOT (buzzy beatle is ment to be unbeatable, like gordo or spike top)
    spike top- NEVER (are you kidding me! that would make hard mode to easy)
    Bullet bill- CAN (It wouldent help much if there is more than one, and can be jumped on)

20. aliceandsven

My only problem with swallowing a Hammer Bro is that Kirby's Adventure did not have "suck-up difficulty" scaling for larger enemies, so I'm afraid that swallowing a hammer bro would allow kirby to easily pass those parts of the game.

Here's an alternative to UFO for Lakitu: Spark?? Lakitu rides a cloud... clouds are generally associated with rain and lightning and stuff. or is this too far fetched? It would basically be a different flavor of Needle but would allow people to feel some kind of accomplishment if they managed to swallow a Lakitu. What about Tornado?

I agree it could be better to just have koopas give nothing.

What do you guys think about Kirby taking damage if he tries to inhales a Spike Top? It would add flavor to the game in my opinion