Request Kirby Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by aliceandsven, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Walrus

Walrus Level 2: Koopa
    Patron

I disagree. One of the exciting things, for me, about the idea of playing as Kirby in Super Mario Bros. is to get to steal the powers of the Mario enemies. If I wanted Kirby enemy powers....I'd play Kirby's Adventure again.

The three enemies that need unique abilities (because they don't have a clear Kirby's Adventure equivalent) are Koopa Troopas, Hammer Bros., and Lakitus.

Koopa Troopas should give you the "Shell" ability. This lets you slide across the stage like the Wheel ability, but to make it less overpowered, when you hit an enemy, you both kill it and are knocked back into Kirby form; there would be a slight delay before you could reactivate the shell, so it'd wouldn't always be wise to turn into a shell and charge in recklessly.

Hammer Bros. should NOT give the Hammer ability from Kirby. Kirby's hammer is a freakin' mallet and he doesn't throw it. Plus, unlike most powers, it's usable underwater (which is a bonus that I don't think SMBC needs). If I stole their powers, I would want to throw the hammer bros. hammers! It's not like this would need new graphics, as Kirby does have a Throw ability in KA, and the hammers are right there in SMB.

Lakitu should be the UFO of SMBC. It's tough to swallow him, and if you do, you get the ability to ride around on a cloud and drop spiny eggs. Like UFO, you revert back to pink Kirby after beating the level. I imagine the cloud would pop when you grab the flag.

I also had less serious, more humorous ideas for Koopa Paratroopas and Cheep Cheeps. The "Paratroopa" power would give Kirby little wings and he'd keep jumping non-stop, as high as Koopa Paratroopas do, until you dumped the power. It would be like a bouncy ability. Cheep Cheeps could give you the "Fish" power where you flop around on the ground for awhile uselessly and then turn back to pink Kirby. This would be the equivalent of the Sleep ability.

What if trying to swallow a Spike Top made them "angry" so they would walk faster? It would make them kinda like Scarfies in Kirby's Adventure.

Mitewing likes this.
  2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

"What if trying to swallow a Spike Top made them "angry" so they would walk faster? It would make them kinda like Scarfies in Kirby's Adventure."

That would require customized enemies that never really existed in Mario.

3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I made something to assist this:
    [​IMG]
    I didn't know which was best, so I just put them both in.

4. Walrus

Walrus Level 2: Koopa
    Patron

The Spike Tops are custom enemies for SMBC...

Also:
    [​IMG]

5. aliceandsven

Oh I always get them mixed up with Spineys

6. powergo

powergo Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Wait one second... what about enemy skins??? that could get confusing. But if kirby is in the game, there will be kirby enemy skins, so you would expect different powers! and what kirby skins would we have? different colors, that blob creature from the first game, a vacuum cleaner, what else? :confused:

7. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I think Kirby should be added.

I think a Kriby skin should be added for Kirby.

As for unique powers, I want to weigh in, not with my opinion, but with my assessment on either side:

-No unique powers would be cool in it's own way, namely that it retains more accuracy to the game's core idea: play other characters in SMBC as they would be played in their own game. If we stick with pre existing powers only, it preserves the "realest" Kirby for the game, as well as saves time on sprites and creating effects and such (I doubt this extra work with sprites/powers would delay the game too much, but it is still asking more of Jay and Ryuza and every goddamm second counts when it comes to updating the game anyway).

-Unique powers would keep Kirby's original form preserved in an entirely different way; in every game he gets new powers (and some old ones of course) based on what monsters are available; it stands to reason that an entirely new world with new monsters would yield new abilities (and, once again, some old ones). This would also allow for some seriously cool powers, especially ones that could be geared toward SMB's kinds of levels. And that would increase Jay's foremost goal with the game: to have it be fun at the cost of some inaccuracies.

That's what I think on it, anyway.

8. bnjay29

bnjay29 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I just had an awesome idea for a fun new mode in this game:

META KNIGHTMARE CROSSOVER!!!

9. x3point14

x3point14 Level 6: Lakitu

Holy shit that would be epic
    Kirby: Oh shit Bullet bill! waity *swallows* shoots at koopa troopa* what now bitch?

10. Olivora

Olivora Level 0: Newbie

I haven't seen this suggested for powerups:

I. Gameboy Kirby, Kirby is only able to suck in enemies (exceptions of buzzy beetles, bowser, ect.) and bricks and shoot them out

II. Kirby with flame powerup for his attack and spark for his special.

III. Kirby with ice powerup for his attack and laser for his special

For his invincibility, he should turn into an invincible U.F.O. Kirby.

Also Kirby should be unlocked after beating the game on any difficulty.

11. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Ice for Fire Flower? Nonsense.

12. French rocks

French rocks Level -1: Banned

I just want him so much! It doesn't matter how he would look or how he would attack, but I want him so much :D

For the music, I think these fit more
    Select: no change
    Enter pipe: Crane Game
    Overworld: Vegetable Valley
    Night: Green Greens
    Underground: Alternative Track
    Coin heaven: Rainbow resort
    Castle: No change
    Unnderwater: Orange Ocean
    Invincible: No change
    Lose a life: No change
    Grab the Axe: no change
    Save the princess: No change

13. SuperMario656

SuperMario656 Level 0: Newbie

I think the Paratroopa should give him the Wing ability (if you can modify the sprite from KSS to look like it's classic, that would be appreciated.)

14. powergo

I am going to try to list all realistically possible things, weather I like them or not-

goomba- Nothing or beam

blooper- nothing

cheepcheep(in water)-nothing, sleep, custom version of sleep (flop around like a fish for a few seconds)

cheepcheep(bridge levels)-nothing, custom sleep, high-jump

piranha plant- nothing or spike

fire flower-fire breath, fireball, crash, mix

koopa-stone, wheel, or custom shell power

red koopa-stone, wheel, custom shell, or fireball

koopa paratroopa(bouncing)- paracell, ball, high-jump, or tornado

koopa paratroopa(flying)- paracell, tornado, high-jump

spiny- needle, cutter, stone

Lakitu- U.F.O., tornado, spark, or custom cloud ride.

hammer bro.- Hammer, throw, or custom hammer throwing.

15. Crazy

Crazy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

It seems you guys still haven't come to a conclusion with Koopas... So I made Shell Kirby :D

[​IMG]

First row is him turning into the shell, second is him hitting something and popping out of the shell

16. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

That's very well done! My preference is still to simply have Kirby spit the shell out and not get an ability from swallowing koopas, although alternatively he could bounce off of enemies when he hits them and turn back into normal Kirby, as your second row shows (like when he hits a wall while in Wheel form). This would make him less powerful since he wouldn't simply be plowing through enemies, but it does somewhat change the functionality of the shell, since shells are supposed to simply plow through enemies. It could still work, though.

uglyrodent likes this.
  17. aliceandsven

"So I made Shell Kirby :D"

SO AWESOME!!

18. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I've been doing a bit of thinking about Kirby in SMBC, and I've come to some conclusions regarding his abilities.

I've commented before that I think that if all of Kirby's abilities are from his games, then why not also just make Koopas give him Wheel. It's not that big of a stretch. The functionality would be the same. It was then mentioned that if someone wanted to play a game with Kirby's abilities, they would play Kirby's games, and that this person would rather see new abilities based on Mario's enemies. Fair enough. However, I think it ought to be pointed out that there is an important difference between Mario's enemies and Kirby's enemies: Kirby's enemies were designed with abilities in mind, whereas Mario's were not, and for the most part, Mario's enemies are pretty boring and don't really have much to offer in the way of unique abilities (at least not ones that are worthwhile). Even the much debated Shell ability is essentially a re-skin of the Wheel ability. Sure, perhaps Hammer Bros. could uniquely allow Kirby to throw hammers, but that seems to be about the only worthwhile and truly unique ability that could be found from Mario's enemies. Basically, I don't think the enemies from Mario's games are going to be able to provide anything special without delving into existing abilities from Kirby's games, and I state once again that if the vast majority of the abilities need to come from Kirby's games, why not all of them?

Now, all that being said, I am willing to concede perhaps a couple of unique abilities (such as the Shell and perhaps a hammer throwing one to replace the traditional Hammer ability), but I would rather just see all of his own abilities in the game, for the sake of consistency if nothing else.

19. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Actually, I already made shell recolourings for Kirby:

20. powergo