Request Kirby Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by aliceandsven, Mar 23, 2011.

1. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Some of the enemies have very obvious corresponding abilities such as Hammer Bros, Podoboos, Spinies, etc.

However, I would strongly recommend that the enemy abilities consider the Kirby enemy skin that will be used, and vice versa.

sbq92 likes this.
  2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

That is a very good point! With skins, Mario enemies could be easily turned into Kirby enemies, but if so, the abilities they would provide Kirby with would need to match up, otherwise it wouldn't make sense. So, abilities that enemies give need to be carefully chosen while keeping in mind which Kirby enemies would work best as which Mario enemies.

ChozoBoy likes this.
  3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I FEEL MISSED OUT.
    PEOPLE COMMENT ON POWERGO'S KOOPA SKIN.
    NOBODY COMMENTS ON MINE.
    AND I'M MAKING THIS HUGE AND CAPS LOCKEY SO THAT THIS POST WILL GET NOTICED UNLIKE MY LAST ONE.
    IF THERE WAS A DISLIKE BUTTON, I'D DISLIKE POWERGO'S POST BECAUSE IT GETS ALL THE FLIPPIN' ATTENTION.

powergo likes this.
  4. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

You only put two shell sprites, but he made the whole transformation.

5. powergo

powergo Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

:awesome:
    I did not make a koopa skin.
    I made an entire kirby sprite sheet on the page before, though it did not include a shell kirby, ironicly.

6. BURGERMAN

BURGERMAN Level 6: Lakitu

I'm not sure if this has been said before but here I go anyways...

With the hammer bros, kirby should be able to suck up the hammers and spit them back out, but swallowing them won't give you any special ability. This would act similarly to the way yoshi can lick up or spit out hammers in New Super Mario Bros Wii.

So, while sucking up hammers will allow you to spit them back out (and that's about it) Only by sucking up the hammer bro would one be able to gain the hammer throw ability.

This might add some new complexity to the game. When facing a hammer bro you would have to think whether to just suck up a hammer and be on your way, or take the risk to get the cool powerup. It would also make combat with the hammer bro more interesting (or annoying...) as you would have to co-ordinate your moves you that you don't accidentally kill the hammer bro before you can get it's ability.

Just a thought.

ChozoBoy likes this.
  7. powergo

Great Idea! though I still frown upon custom abilitys

8. JoMamma

JoMamma Level 6: Lakitu

2nd post, yaaaaay.
    What I was thinking was what if the mushrooms did more than just inhaling?
    What if it changed "jumps"?
    For example,
    No mushroom = 3 jumps
    Mushroom = 4
    Fire Flower = 5
    Is it a good idea? :/ It shouldn't be too hard, right?

uglyrodent likes this.
  9. powergo

I thought the mushroom turned you into a pink kirby from a gray kirby

10. JoMamma

JoMamma Level 6: Lakitu

I guess it would, but this is just an idea for each powerup.

11. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I was under this impression as well. The original gray Kirby can't absorb power-ups (can he even still swallow enemies or can he only spit them out...it's been a long time since I played Kirby's Dreamland), and the Super Mushroom gives him the ability to absorb abilities. The Fire Flower, then, is just one among many power-ups.

I think the idea of a different number of jumps on each power-up level is something that shouldn't be done. It could get a bit confusing if the number of jumps he has keeps changing around. Also, considering that in Kirby's case there are technically only two power-up forms (basic and Super Mushroom; Fire Flower is one of the abilities), that only means a change of jumps once, which doesn't seem necessary.

ChozoBoy and powergo like this.
  12. Anter

Anter Level 6: Lakitu

Recently I found one interesting Super Mario Bros. hack which сalls 'Kirby's Adventure 2'. Here it is and some info about it with screenshots.

[​IMG]

Click here to download.

Attention! Hack is the IPS patch. You need Lunar IPS programm and original SMB game.

== Story ==

One evening, Kirby had a strange dream. He had a dream of a long, long stairway leading up to a door. As soon as the door opened, he was confronted with a world he had never seen before, spreading out as far as his eyes could see. When he strained his ears to listen, he heard a faint voice saying “Welcome to the land of dreams. We have been cursed by Nightmare, he stole the Dream Rod and cast a completely evil spell. We have been awaiting your arrival. Please defeat Nightmare and return the land of dreams to its natural state. Nightmare has placed Metaknight under his control, to guard the Dream Rod, be wary Kirby!” Kirby must now gain the Dream Rod and break the curse!

When Kirby entered the world, he lost his ability to copy. However, the Dream Rod, with its last bit of power give Kirby the ability to use Dream Halos.

== Dream Halo ==

A halo of pure dream energy that acts as a shield. Can be powered up with a Dream Shard.

== Dream Shard ==

A shard of dream energy, allows the casting of Dream Fire.

== Dream Fire ==

Fire that can destroy Nightmare’s creations.

== ??? ===

This started as a serious hack, however I slowly began to lose interest. So, I decided to release it with only 3 worlds, instead of 8. It is a complete overhaul of all the GFX, and TSA, and the first 12 levels. I hope you enjoy it.

You are free to use this as a base for your own hack, as long as you credit me.

== Glitches ==

Some random GFX stuff, nothing that causes any big bugs. In world 2, dying will mess up the 2 - X, however it has no effect other than that.

Screenshots:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I agree with this in part because the Hammer was originally a boss power-up, and shouldn't be easy to get. The NSMBW analogy was nice, too. The GB Kirby/pink Kirby/fire power for the lineup with mushrooms and fire flowers is definately a good idea. And yes sbq92, he could swallow in Dream Land.

Has there been any discussion about adapting Dedede or Meta Knight into characters? The NES sprites with controls based on some of the games that they are playable in would be pretty cool.

14. Stevwood

Stevwood Level 3: Paratroopa

When Kirby is selected he could inflate and float off the screen, but if he is the black and white sprite like aliceandsven said and can't inflate then I don't know.

15. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Well, that was just one suggested possibility. Another suggestion for the selection animation would be a very short Kirby dance.

16. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

The Kirby dance has always been a "level end" thing, though...

17. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I suggest a warp star animation, then.

TheomanZero likes this.
  18. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Oh man that would be sweet...

Too bad it looks like all these chars may never make it.

19. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

20. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Yeah, that's a much better idea than mine.