Kirby Skins Project!

Discussion in 'Skins' started by silentshadowxp, Aug 18, 2013.

1. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

So, a while back, a lot of us on the forums worked on a skin for Kirby over Mega Man. Because of that skin, I was motivated to make an enemy, map, and theme skin for him. More recently however, some of us have gotten the awesome idea of making a Kirby skin over EVERYTHING in the game! As such, I figured I would go ahead and make a project page for it, showing all of the skins already made, and listing what skins are left to be added. Discussion about the skins or the project itself is also welcome!

Thus far, we have the following character skins:

Mega Man Skin
    Kirby - MegaMan.png

Bass Skin
    Kirby - Bass.png

Mario Skin
    Kirby - Mario.png

Luigi Skin
    Kirby - Luigi.png

Sophia Skin
    Kirby - Sophia.PNG

Bill Skin
    Kirby - Bill.png

Simon Skin
    Kirby - Simon.PNG

Link Skin
    Kirby - Link.PNG

Ryu Skin
    Kirby - Ryu.png

Just think of how awesome it would be to have all of these Kirbys on the title screen! We are currently missing one character skin however, Samus. Any help in coming up with ideas or skinning this would be appreciated!

2. silentshadowxp

We also have the following skin set:

Map Skin
    Kirby_Map.png

Theme Skin
    Kirby_Theme.png

Enemy Skin
    Kirby_Enemies.png

Interface Skin
    Kirby Interface.png

Edit:
    Here is a bonus Link skin by Blasterott!
    Metaknight - Link.png

AGameReviewer and Mitewing like this.
  3. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I was gonna do something like this once we had all ten characters done (not that I mind that you did it first!)
    For the record:
    -Mario skin is by me
    -Bill skin is by me and Silentshadowxp
    -Luigi is by Silentshadowxp, as are the Enemy, Map, Theme, and Bass skins (you've done so much for this project)
    -Coolman also did an enemy skin, based on Super Star, as well as the Simon and Link skins
    -The SOPHIA skin is by Clippit
    -Finally, the original Mega Man skin is by sbq92, silentshadowxp, Rey D, and Mario-Fan

AGameReviewer and silentshadowxp like this.
  4. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I think it would make more sense if all of the Kirby skins had the same portrait.

Faruga likes this.
  5. uglyrodent

I agree, except for changing the palette for the GB ones.

6. silentshadowxp

Along with that, we may also want to consider making Toad and the princess the same for all of the Kirby skins as well. For that matter, should we also make each skin have both a NES and a gameboy palette, rather than just having some be one palette and some the other? Though it does make sense for the skins with Rick and Coo to be GB palettes since those two characters never had an NES palette, though it also makes sense to have a consistent palette.

I'm open for discussion on all of this, and thoughts on what we should use for each.

uglyrodent likes this.
  7. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

I think the most probable skin to get in the game is the Map/Theme/Enemies one.

This way we could hear da mad tunez from the Kirby series!

Mitewing and silentshadowxp like this.
  8. silentshadowxp

While I would certainly be perfectly happy with just the Map/Theme/Enemy skins being added to the game, Kirby is a character that seems to be requested quite a lot around the forums. The Kirby character skins allow a way for him to be in the game even if he is never added as his own character.

The thing about the Kirby character skins though is the fact that this is how Kirby would act if he copied the abilities of each of Crossover's main characters. Also, the title screen having multiple Kirbys wouldn't be an issue because there have been numerous occasions where there are multiple Kirbys on screen at a time.

As a side note, I added a Meta Knight skin to the second post!

9. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I have to say, some of the things going on in these skins don't really make sense, like the Bill skin (going from puffed to unpuffed and crouching instantly?) or Mega Man (Kirby holding himself / floating above you in Stone form...)

"there have been numerous occasions where there are multiple Kirbys on screen at a time."

I can only think of Amazing Mirror and Mass Attack (i haven't played that one though so idk) on the GBA and DS.

Looking into it, this is from the kirby wiki page for Amazing Mirror:

"Multiple, different-colored Kirbys have previously appeared in Kirby's Dream Course, Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land and Kirby Air Ride. This game is considered the origin of the multiple Kirbys. The four Kirbys have recently appeared together in the new Kirby Super Star Ultra sub-games." http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Kirby_&_the_Amazing_Mirror

So as far as the older games go, there really isn't any instance of multiple kirbys, except for the Dream Course spin-off, and I don't know where or how they appear in that game.

If Kirby meshes well with a character's gameplay, then that's great, but I personally think it shouldn't be forced in cases where it doesn't.

10. uglyrodent

This is really a joke more than anything.

I mean, we want the skins in the game, but we went into this knowing many of them would be forced or nonsensical. It's part of the fun, seeing how we can squish Kirby into new shapes, even if he doesn't quite make it :D

Dimpsy likes this.
  11. silentshadowxp

This kind of thing has been going on since Kirby's Dreamland on Gameboy, and at least through Kirby's Adventure and Kirby's Dreamland 2 which is where these skins are based on. And it hasn't only been in the dances. I could find others if you want to see more instances in those games.

And like uglyrodent said, this was mostly for fun, but it's also something we'd like to see added. Especially given the rare chance of him being added as his own character now that the team is finished making big updates for the game.

12. aliceandsven

Oh, I was thinking of gameplay, I don't remember it happening in the gameplay of Adventure. I haven't played Dreamland 2 though.

13. uglyrodent

It never happens in the gameplay of Dreamland 2 either, although this actually works perfectly.

Multiple Kirby's would only be around on the title screen; during a cutscene. But only one would ever appear during gameplay.

Dimpsy likes this.
  14. aliceandsven

Not on the mega man and bass sheet

15. uglyrodent

Bu-
    Tha-
    Um...

Maybe he's shedding his outer layer of skin and turning that to stone. Or...or...
    Kirby Magic?

Alternately, the second Kirby could be considered like the cutscene ones; it doesn't act, and is therefore an autonomous clone created by Kirby's almighty will; it's just that now he's learned how to use it like a weapon instead of for entertainment.

Yeah that's...that's the best I can come up with ;_:

EDIT: Checked out the Kirby wiki:
    And the article in question.

Kirby being split for various purposes, as well as others of Kirby's species, are both acknowledged canon. The details on both the clones abilities and the other species are vague enough that I think we can get away with it; we're not technically breaking any canon.[/quote]

Dimpsy and silentshadowxp like this.
  16. silentshadowxp

Actually, in level 5 of Kirby's Dreamland (the very first Kirby game) he has to touch Kirby clones to advance through the levels.

Edit:

I meant to post this yesterday, but I was in the process of moving into a new apartment.

There are a total of 4 Kirby clones that you have to find in order to progress through the level.

Dimpsy and uglyrodent like this.
  17. silentshadowxp

Double post for something new!
    Kirby Interface.png

I posted this in the Interface Skins thread, and felt it would be smart to post it here as well. The text on the left looks odd with a back background, but it's for the menus so it will look better there. I do need help however transforming "Kirby's Adventure" into "Super Mario Bros Crossover", so help would be appreciated!

Edit:
    This is what it currently looks like, though it lacks the curve of the original text.
    Kirby Interface.png

18. uglyrodent

Alright so this isn't done, but all that's missing is the powerups and HUD stuff; all the character sprites and abilities are in tact and I don't feel like working on it any more (for now).

I present Kirby over Ryu.
    Keeps The Koopa Away.png
    Kirby hijacked an apple from a Poppy Bro. Jr., and it using it to terrorize the Koopa Clan.

Pretty simple; shuriken is laser, windmill shuriken is cutter, the fireball is the hammer (being thrown) and the fire wheel is tornado (being thrown and also there's three and Kirby isn't the tornado).

EDIT:
    I knew I forgot to clarify something!

I wasn't sure if it was clear, and I can edit it if it's not, but when climbing Kirby is gripping the wall with one hand and the apple with both feet.

19. coolman

coolman Level 5: Spiny

I think I will made an enemy skin,and all the ennemy are Kirby.

And my superstar enemy skin:
    [​IMG]

20. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

They look big.
    That is all I have to say to you.
    No it isn't.
    I'm just kidding.