Let's go for a swim!

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Mitewing, May 9, 2011.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Jay has confirmed in some future update Link will swim and Mega Man will get Rush Marine.

What about the others?

Here are ideas for the rest of them.

Bill: His laying down sprites could easily be edited for swimming.
    Jason: He can swim in Blaster Master. So no problem here.
    Ryu, Samus, and Simon: None of them swim as far as I know. Custom sprites would have to be created.

Any ideas, people?

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Simon sucks with water. He hates water. Water kills him, so his "hurt" sprite wouldn't be bad. Like his dead sprites. :D
    But talking seriously, I don't know. Swimming is useful for Link because he looks like small Mario, but you'd be killed if you're swimming with Simon.

3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I think it's more interesting if some characters can swim and others can't.

4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I don't think any of the Castlevania characters were ever able to swim. Soma could float on the surface in Aria of Sorrow, but that would be too cheap for Simon. Most of the characters either died in water or simply behaved as Simon behaves now.

Samus could get the Gravity Suit and be able to move freely underwater. This could potentially help her out quite a bit. The Gravity Suit didn't come until later games, though, so she should probably continue to behave the way she already does.

Ryu always just died in water, so it's hard to come up with anything special for him from his games. Behaving the way he does now is the most intuitive.

At best, Bill would stand in waste deep water. It's true that his sprites could be modified, but the way he behaves now isn't horrible, and it is again the most intuitive. Swimming with a gun could be difficult... :p

5. Metalhog

Metalhog Level 6: Lakitu

Hum... Drowning system?

6. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

[​IMG]

7. Rey D

Patron

Yes, in old school / classic / linear Castlevania games, they died in water, sinking like they have tons of things on them (could be).

Going to new style / "Metroidvania" style Castlevania games, let's have a look at the first of the kind: Symphony of the Night. You didn't die immediatly in underwater, but if the water goes a little bit above your boots (so a little bit under your kneels), it hurts you, draining your HP in a VERY. fast cadence. I think I have been able to stay underwater (with ennemies) for about 15 seconds with around 250 HP max. You die easily.

In Aria of Sorrow, mentioned by Scorpion42, you could float on water, like a human being swims (he's supposed to be a human and not a Belmont after all). Still talking about Aria of Sorrow:
    With the Undine soul, he could actually WALKS on water, which was quite helpful. Surprising enough, he could walk underwater with a certain soul.. I think it's Skula. He didn't take any damage from water and could walk, but in a slow motion if I remember well. His jumps didn't go any higher than out of water, though you fall slower.

8. Metalhog

Metalhog Level 6: Lakitu

and I say yes.. :D

[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/IyFqwrispVs[/video]

LOL.

Just kiding. :D

9. bnjay29

bnjay29 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I agree with that. Samus for example you could simply write off that she utilizes the gravity suit features from Super Metroid or something like that.

10. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

except super metroid wasn't a nes game

11. Mitewing

The only one I can see leaving as they are now is Samus, due to the armor. She definitely did not swim in Metroid Prime! Bill wouldn't have to be hard to control. I agree the worst swimmers should be Ryu and Simon.

12. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Well TECHNICALLY Link, Ryu, Samus etc. don't ACTUALLY swim, they just jump higher.

But seriously, how would you be able to play it then?
    You mean sbq92

13. Rey D

Patron

Yeah, that's it. Sorry to you 2 guys. What was the time when I wrote the post already?

14. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

What I meant is that I like it the way it is now, where Mario and Sophia III can swim and everyone else just jumps higher. I think it's fine if a couple of other characters get swimming abilities, so long as it's not everyone.

I am not advocating some characters dying when they touch water, if that's what you thought. That would be stupid and terrible.

15. bnjay29

I know, just throwing ideas around. She can duck too, but couldn't do that till Metroid II which is a gameboy game.

16. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I don't really like the idea of every character swimming (like Simon or Ryu) because they didn't swim in the original games. But I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of change to their jump height while underwater since these parts are mandatory. Maybe, while in water, allow the player to hold down or let go of jump to change the jump height some how.

17. bnjay29

THIS

Would make things a hell of a lot easier.

18. Mitewing

If Link is gonna get a swimming animation, why can't the others?

19. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

My post from the Samus thread:

Another idea I that I had for swimming: Samus could have the Space Jump while under water.

She didn't have this ability until Metroid II, but Jay said that he was making up swim sprites for Link and the Spin Jump sprites are already in the game. It would be more intuitive for a Metroid player this way. Would be fun with the cheat on, as well.

20. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

That wouldn't be too different from Mario, would it