Let's go for a swim!

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Mitewing, May 9, 2011.

1. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Yeah, that's sort of the idea.

2. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

How does Samus behave in water in Metroid 2? Can you describe in more detail?

3. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

I don't think there was any water in Metroid 2 either.

4. ChozoBoy

There was water in Metroid II, but I think you guys may be confused. The Space Jump can be used in and out of water, however my recommendation is simply to give it to Samus as an alternative to some other method of swimming.

For those who aren't familliar with it, the Space Jump is when you do a Spin Jump (by holding left or right when jumping) and then have the ability to do consecutive mid-air Spin Jumps.

Check out @ 0:25.

5. Mitewing

That's pretty cool. I have one question. Can she perform attacks while she does that? (I only watched it up to like the 30 sec point just to see the Space Jump)

6. ChozoBoy

It works the same as your normal Spin Jump. If you go to use an attack, then you stop spinning and thus won't be able to do any more Space Jumps.

There isn't any Screw Attack in SMBC, which is the only real way to attack while Space Jumping but it doesn't really matter because she certainly doesn't need to be overpowered or anything.

If you can get access to a copy of Metroid II, Super Metroid, Fusion, or Zero Mission you can see how this ability works in the latter points of any of those games. (Or even just look up the endings.) It's sort of temperamental in Metroid II, so I'd recommend testing it in the other games.

The first 30 seconds here are a good example from Super Metroid. This video takes place underwater, but again, it is not normally an underwater-exclusive ability. I apologize for the obnoxious player voices in the video. The shortest explanation of the ability that I could give is that any time you are Spin Jumping, you are able to initiate another Spin Jump at any point in the jump.

7. Mitewing

Cool. Now let's recap:

Megaman: Rush Marine
    Samus: Space Jump
    Jason/SOPHIA: Swimming mechanics from Blaster Master
    Link: Custom swim sprites based on Mario
    Bill: Custom swim sprites based on his ducking position. Mechanics may be similar to horizontal shooters.
    Ryu: ???
    Simon: ???

8. ChozoBoy

9. Mitewing

Nah. The raft is for crossing water while on its surface. It wouldn't look right underwater.

10. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I still think it's enough to just let Link swim and give Mega Man the Rush Marine. The first game where Link could go underwater was Link's Awakening for the Game Boy, which had sidescrolling underwater segments where Link could swim similarly to Mario, so it's appropriate (in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Link's swimming sprites end up being based on those).
    I'd be very glad to get the Rush Marine for two reasons: one, it's been sadly neglected in Mega Man's recent games, and two, Mega Man is currently one of the more frustrating characters to play as underwater (it's hard to kill the Bloopers when you can only attack forward, and he can't crouch on the floor to avoid them, either).
    The single most annoying character to play as underwater is Ryu, but I can't really justify letting him swim based on the original Ninja Gaiden games. The only thing that might help him there is the Spin Slash.

11. Mitewing

Good idea about Ryu. Hopefully the spin slash will be added to his regular moveset soon anyway.

12. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

All of the characters can beat the water levels. I'm all for custom work as long as it's there to compensate for something the characters can't do (like Samus' climbing sprite).

13. Scorpion42

I really hate those sprites.

The game is fine as it is, but it'll be even better once we add more stuff.

14. TheomanZero

Ah, so I'm not the only one bothered by those sprites. They're just a little too smooth compared to the rest of her animations. Still, requesting a choppier climbing animation seemed a bit silly to me.

15. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Well I agree with you for Ryu: It's absolutely awful.

But for Mega Man, I PERSONALLY prefer how he works (except when you HAVE to call Rush Coil) because that was the way he worked in the only NES Mega Man game I played, Mega Man II. He's the only character I'd automatically choose to play underwater because the way he jumps and shoots make getting rid of Bloopers easier than with anyone else (except Samus).
    That's my point of view.

EDIT: To avoid Bloopers, I slide if there is enough place.

16. Scorpion42

I got banned for it.

Mega Man could get the Jet Pack from 6, but that might be too similar to SOPHIA's hover.

17. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

"I got banned for it."

You... what?!

/confused

18. Scorpion42

I got banned. By J Squared. I don't remember which thread.

Characters who have had water levels in their games should work underwater here like they do there. The others I'm not sure about.

19. TheomanZero

Well, Bloopers are easy for me for anyone who can fire up or swim (as well as Simon, whose Axes are perfect for this). Mega Man can't do either, and he doesn't always have enough room to slide.

As much as we've been talking about the Rush Marine, something has only just occurred to me: Will Mega Man just automatically be in the Rush Marine underwater, or will he activate and deactivate it using the Special button (replacing the Rush Coil)?

20. Scorpion42

Your way, definitely. Rush Coil is completely useless underwater. And after all, it's all Rush.