Let's go for a swim!

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Mitewing, May 9, 2011.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Glad you agree. My thought is that pressing the button would warp Rush in to your location and he would form the Marine around you, then pressing it again would teleport him out and let gravity take over. Plus, if Jay makes Mega Man able to jump all the way to the surface, as he can in the Mega Man games and has been suggested on these forums, then Rush Coil would truly be completely useless underwater, so you wouldn't be losing anything at all.
    I thought it might be nicer to have the option to play without the Rush Marine. Mega Man's games never forced you to use it, after all (except maybe in some of the Game Boy games).

2. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Especially if you play with the Water Mode cheat on.

3. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Rush Coil is actually somewhat useful in water level because he allows me to re-jump without touching the ground.

Anyway, opinions diverge and so I also think we should have something allowing us to switch between Rush Coil and Rush Submarine for Underwater. I'll think about it.

4. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Just took a look at them. They're well animated, but they are obviously not original. They also put her cannon on the wrong arm if you approach from the left.

Climbing is a very small portion of the game, but maybe Jay could just give her a instead. I think that would look cool.

As far as swimming, I'm not familiar enough with Ninja Gaiden or Castlevania to come up with a solution for those remaining two. How is it addressed in the modern games?

5. TheomanZero

As far as I know, swimming has never come up in Ninja Gaiden or any Classicvania games. For Metroidvania games that involve water, it usually amounts to having infinite midair jumps underwater. Prior to now I've thought that Simon could just stay as he is now underwater, but since he already has a double jump, I could see that working for him (it would be similar to Mario's, but less controllable as each jump is still big and floaty, and it could have interesting applications for Water Mode).

6. Anter

Anter Level 6: Lakitu

Maybe should to add a rust counter for SOPHIA III?

7. TheomanZero

Er . . . was that in Blaster Master? If not it doesn't sound like a very good idea.

8. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Actually, in Aria of Sorrow, If you were using Skula you could make infinite jumps underwater. That's just about the same as swimming. What you feel is like if your vertical motion is multiplied by 1.5, gravity is cut by 2, and horiontal motion is cut by 2.5. However attacking with a slow weapon would usually drop you to the very bottom. And if i remember correctly, there was a similar mechanism for Dawn of Sorrow. I don't remember seeing any water in Portrait of Ruin?

I can perfectly imagine a system where Bill stads in the top of the water, and pressing <down> brings him deeper while letting go makes him float back. And i agree that his swimming sprites come from the laying down sprite. He can shoot while swimming.

Edit: I somehow skipped the last pages entirely. My post is somehow misplaced. I was talking about Simon and Bill swimming.

9. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Thats the point I was trying to get across. Bill can shoot while swimming! The floating idea is cool too.