Level Editor - Discussion / Suggestions

Discussion in 'Features' started by J Squared, May 24, 2010.

1. Powerstars

Powerstars Level 3: Paratroopa

We could have one that goes like Super Mario Flash, which is a bit simpler than Lunar Magic

2. Draken

Draken Level 1: Goomba

The best level editor if you ask me would the editor that has no limits whatsoever, editor that could create things that are completely out of touch with the original game, levels that are not even remotely similar to SMB. And when you put something level breaking in your world the editor is only like "This level cannot be finished, but meh, you can continue" I would love to see levels that can be pretty much endless and can not only be scrolled sideways but levels that can go up or down, or both. Possibility to force scrolling at certain points, placing any blocks anywhere even blocks from different tilesets on one level. I can't even begin to imagine what amazing levels would people create if such tool existed for SMBC.

If there is one thing I want for level editor it's No Limitations. Limits suck, limits can make things boring, the more lines you can cross the more interesting stuff you can create.

Also I have a suggestion that all levels created with editor could be saved in some format on the computer of the creator, that way no one would have to host a server specifically for billions of levels, instead, people could post their maps somewhere for others to download and play, and keeping them online is pointless unless Multiplayer is implemented at some point. :D

And last but not least, editor should have ability to test maps real time, press of a button and off you go testing things, having to exit editor, load map in game only to test would be annoying. ;)

3. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Things that a level editor has to have:

Ease of use: No cumbersome toolbars and overwhelming dialogs. Simple and easy to use. Click and drag, double click, mouse wheel must be used for most fundamental actions.

Simple, but powerful: Anyone can make average maps for it, but it should have advanced options for who want to do a more polished and creative level.

On-the-fly Testing: A key is enough to make you jump to the map and test it. the same key should be used to get back to the editor.

NO LIMITS: SMB may have limits, but SMBC don't have these limits. Vertical, Horizontal, Massive levels. InterConnected Levels. Limits is the inverse of freedom. A Level Editor is just that: Freedom to make your levels the way you want.

4. ROFL_N00B

ROFL_N00B Level 1: Goomba

Another feature I'd like to have would be the options for the creator to limit the playable characters for a particular level. It would allow the level designers to be creative with their level designs without the fear of a particular character breaking them. A Related feature for this is to be able change the level for specific characters like on the water levels how some characters get "Safety Platforms" Pretty much I to be able to do that in the level editor. On a side note: Customizable music for each level would also be a great inclusion.

5. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Not true. Having limits can force you to come up with creativity you may not otherwise have thought of.

uglyrodent likes this.
  6. TiagoDu

You can impose the limits yourself. If you want to make the level with a fixed height, fine, make your way, but what about people that want to make, let's say, a vertical level?

uglyrodent likes this.
  7. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

This is EXTRAORDINARILY true. A lot of iconic characters and songs from the 8-bit era are only as great as they are because the artists were able to not only work around, but work WITH the limitations to create masterpieces.

8. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Phrase of the year.

Jdaster64, uglyrodent and TheomanZero like this.
  9. TiagoDu

Yea, but today the limits are not a problem anymore. Yet, some people impose themselves the limits of the 8-bit era to make games with the quality and creativity we saw on the 8-bit era. Examples:
    MegaMan 9/10: Made to look like NES, but made on Wii
    Retro Game Challenge 1/2: Made to look like NES/SNES, but made on DS
    Cave Story: Made to look 8-bitish (Not sure about what console), but made for modern PCs
    The limits don't have to be here to exist. Put the limits yourself, like the guys that made these games did.
    And, also, there's things that not even the more creative gamer can make with limits: Vertical levels, for example.

uglyrodent and Draken like this.
  10. Draken

Draken Level 1: Goomba

Well everyone is right here. Imagine you see an awesome portrait that is perfect. You will be more impressed knowing that someone made it only with pencil than knowing that artist had all tools ever invented but who says that when you have all tools you HAVE TO use all of them? You can still use only one paint brush and only one color, but keep in mind someone else might not be so creative and might need some more brushes and colors to create something that looks good.

Only real limit should be imagination.

uglyrodent and TiagoDu like this.
  11. Teppic

Teppic Level 1: Goomba
    Patron

Don't know if it has been brought up, but it would be great if you could link levels and make whole worlds with the levels made in the level editor.

Jdaster64, uglyrodent and TiagoDu like this.
  12. Loveforever92003

Loveforever92003 Level 5: Spiny

In this case, you actually can. It's just that a level has to use GFX banks for sprites and foreground/backgrounds. Let's say you just put a big Boo in Yoshi's Island 2 without changing the sprite banks. It IS there, but it's graphics don't display properley. Click on the normal Poison Mushroom button. When you do, click on Change Sprite GFX. You will want to click on Ghost House. When you are done, the Big Boo will now display properley.

Hopefully, this can show you how tileset-spepific sprites display properley. ;)

13. Loveforever92003

Loveforever92003 Level 5: Spiny

Cave Story was also made on the Wii.

14. TiagoDu

That was a remake of the PC game, actually. It's the same game with better graphics and music and more modes and an official translation (IMO i prefer the neon genesis one but that's relative stuff)
    The original one is for PC.

TheomanZero likes this.
  15. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

It's already been mentioned, but I'll restate it anyway: vertical scrolling is a must. To go with that, you should be able to make vine blocks that terminate when they hit a block, rather than continuing to Coin Heaven. It would also be nice to make a level autoscroll, but that's not something I care about as much.

I think you should also be able to add free-standing powerups, and also specify what they appear as for each character. That way one could, say, make a level that forces and is designed around Sophia having wall/ceiling-walk and hover, or the Rush items, or even Simon having the axe.

You should also be able to designate underwater areas, to have swimming sections in a non-swimming level, though I understand if that's not worth the trouble of coding in.

You definitely shouldn't be forced into one tileset per level (although if Special gets in, that'll be a necessity, since some areas switch tilesets partway through), and again, should be able to specify how sections of tiles appear in each skin set (though it should default to whatever the central theme is, that is, if you make a level specified as Overworld, and then you make some parts of it use the SMB1NES Water tileset but don't specify that in SMB1SNES or SML, it should default as Overworld to them). For an example of what I mean, see SMBS 3-1, where it goes from the Water to the Overworld tileset (with a bit overlap in the background tiles, even) halfway through the second segment.

Mitewing likes this.
  16. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I want to suggest ladders and vines/ropes similar to the Donkey Kong games.

17. Superjustinbros

Superjustinbros Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I have to agree with everything Lilfut said down to the last detail. A few hacks of SMB do have levels that scroll vertically (along with the climbable surfaces which Mitewing brought up, also in the hacks, but they shouldn't make noise when the player ascends one in SMBC.) both upwards and downwards, but if such, the HUD is placed along the bottom, not the top, and the level does not scroll horizontally, unless the player goes into another room that scrolls horizontally.

In terms of identifying areas where levels are half swimming and half land, the player should be able to add a blue bonding box that can be stretched at will to fit whatever area the player desires, and ingame, it will be the swimming areas. In levels that are only swimming, allow a "water end" line to be placed that shows what part of the water is the surface, so characters that can swim don't look like they're swimming above the water. :p

Another thing to add, if anyone wants to consider custom enemies and items/objects like the ones in Special, here's my own sheet of references.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The enemies are in that many color schemes for the purpose of implementing additional variations of an enemy, like faster ones, Koopas that come out of their shells sooner, Paratroopas that bounce further, more aggressive Pirana Plants and Hammer Bros, and Spinies that refuse to go off ledges (the last two Hammer Bro. sprites per row share the small "chin" graphic).

Lilfut likes this.
  18. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Cool sprites. One question: where is the Lucky Star/Atom from Special?

19. Superjustinbros

Superjustinbros Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Whoopsies. I knew I forgot somethin'. :B

[​IMG]

And now for something else.
    [​IMG]

Below are some custom objects I'd like as well: "!" switch blocks (with launcher blocks), boulders that can emerge from brick blocks, bouncy blocks, immobile floating platforms, bouncy floating platforms, and sliding blocks.

[​IMG]

Lilfut likes this.
  20. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Damn that's a lot of sprites.