Level Editor - Discussion / Suggestions

Discussion in 'Features' started by J Squared, May 24, 2010.

1. Christian Lee Gilley

Christian Lee Gilley Level 3: Paratroopa

I seen the way the level editor for mario portals game called mari0. maybe it could be somewhat like that, only with the ability to change scenery, "Properties" ( like putting PAR CODE 074E changing it's value)
    (also, once the final version is released, will it be a downloadable game? since there will be a level editor, it'd have to store files, like a .MCL file (Mario Crossover Level) or a pack like .MC#
    (Replace # for... 4 levels in a world times 8 worlds equals 32 in all so therefore .MC1 - .MC32)

2. Loveforever92003

Loveforever92003 Level 5: Spiny

The ability to place powerups straight from the level without having them in a ? block.

The ability to place your starting posistion wherever you want.

The ability to make custom Toad/Peach messages (so you won't be hearing the annoying line "but our princess is in another castle"--i don't think it's annoying though)

So yeah, that's a few things i want for the level editor.

3. Superjustinbros

Superjustinbros Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Apologies for the bump, but I wanted to bring up the following:

Some hacks I've played, while not all of them, do have more than just four stages per world. One of these, if I recall, had five levels per world as opposed to just four. There should also be an option (IMO) to have the game's length be set to include a World 9 and Worlds A-D, alike Lost Levels.

If we're not going to have the alternative-colored enemies from a few posts back, I can specify the proper color palettes for the ground and green colored sprites, like the Goombas, Hammer Bros, Piraña Plants, etc. Why I ask is, well... let me just say I had a bit of trouble trying to ask Mari0's developer, Maurice, to specify the correct colors based on the themes according to ROM hacks that don't alter the color palettes.

4. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I think that ideally, you should just be able to make a bunch of levels and then label each one "World x-y" as you wish, rather than having a specific levels-per-world framework. After all, in SMB, there's really no difference between Worlds except the tileset, and even that's not completely consistent -- World 6-3 used a completely unique one.

5. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

Something to mention: there should be no limits to the level editor. If somebody makes a level that's impossible to complete, fuck it, let 'em!

Also, from the wiki page on this subject, certain enemies from other games should be usable. Medusa heads, motherfucker!

The NPC thing brought up earlier is an excellent idea - I'd love to remake Simon's Quest in SMBC.

Superjustinbros and MissingNo2 like this.
  6. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

:awesome:!!!El Bumpo!!!:awesome:

Sooo...I'm not sure, i just wanted to bump this thread for some interest (the last post was at Christmas eve!)

About the limits, i think one could turn them on or off according to what he/she prefers or to what he/she wants to achieve with the level editor. For example:

Vertical Scrolling: [ON/OFF]
    Horizontal Scrolling: [ON/OFF]
    Other Useful Option: [ON/OFF]

This way a creator can limit themselves to the original SMB to make creative solutions to problems, or can fully unleash himself to limits to fully achieve their dream levels :)

7. Superjustinbros

Here's a (now updated) sheet I posted and explained in another thread, plus a new one based on the "Bounce Blocks" and "Arrow Blocks" from a few SMB1 hacks.
    SMBDX VersusObjectsCustomPalettesforNES-1.png SMBDemonstrationTiles.png
    If you want to see those bounce and arrow blocks in action, here's your tool.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  8. luigiman64

luigiman64 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

has anyone realized that once the level editor and multiplayer get added
    people can make super mario crossover machinimas?

Faruga and Mitewing like this.
  9. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

IF multiplayer gets added.

But you're right, that'll become a thing.

luigiman64 likes this.
  10. TiagoDu

Not that SMBC has a lot of potential for machinimas...
    ...unless custom skin loading becomes a thing too, that is. :)

11. Mariofan5000

Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu

If a level editor is to be added, can you make it like the one in this little "game"?
    It could be the base for SMBC's editor. I would suggest it be very similar to "Super Mario Bros. NES Game Builder"'s editor, but with the Special (and eventual Lost Levels) exclusive features. Of course, for viewing pleasure it should have a box with the skin sets available, to be able to view the levels in all sets to be sure it works in all of them (which SMBC hasn't shown any sign of such problems yet) and of course have the whole "Easy/Hard maps checkboxes" thing. A marathon mode was suggested, and to make that work in this game, I would suggest that the player can select any level from any map set, with the sets selectable for easy access to their levels only. This could mean we can have VS.SMB and ANNSMB without making anymore map sets in-game. Think about it. When you want to test the level, you can select any unlocked cheats for testing, have a pop-up with the character select appear, then you choose a character, then skin, then which items to have when you start the test. And maybe have an in-test debug mode similar to the SMB3/SMW/SMAS ones. Thoughts?
    I also made you some toast and a bagel an example remake of SMBS W1-1 for use with the game builder.
    EDIT: Not really where i'm supposed to request this, but SMBNESGB has an option for testing, namely unlimited fireballs. Perhaps give SMBC a new cheat called "unlimited projectiles" at some point? It would only allow you to throw any projectiles without having to wait for them to disappear so e.g. Bill's spread gun could be for fun then ever with it on.

12. Superjustinbros

SMB NES Game Builder has probably one of the most unfriendly editors I've seen, where everything takes a fortnight just to change something as simple as level width (I'm also not a fan of 8x8 tile placement instead of 16x16 tile placement). If we would use any existing editor as a template for SMBC's eventual editor, it would have to be something along the lines of Mari0's editor.

DarkBowser100 likes this.
  13. Mariofan5000

Or it could be both. Mari0's user friendly editor (but I would prefer it if you don't have to walk everywhere) and SMBNESGB's test options and selective-ness. And perhaps have a toggle for 8x8 and 16x16 tile placement, as I find the 8x8 one useful, yet the 16x16 is for whatever reason prefered. Again, toggleable should be best.
    Not as much, actually. It's like riding a bike. Once you learn, you never forget. And that example only took like what, 5 minutes? I also remade these into one for probably less:
    Super Mario Bros. Paint Level 1.PNG Super Mario Bros. Paint Level 2.PNG
    Back on-topic, it's not that hard to use, so don't act like you know every single thing in the universe.

14. Beed28

Beed28 Level 5: Spiny

Super Mario Bros. NES Game Builder doesn't even work. It gives me a "Could not find the main class: supermario.game.Game. Program will exit" error. :mad: Did he even test the game?

Superjustinbros likes this.
  15. Mariofan5000

It works, man.

16. Beed28

Beed28 Level 5: Spiny

Ah, figured out the problem. I had to update Java manually. All's well now. :)

Faruga likes this.
  17. Superjustinbros

It might be worth mentioning none of the original NES and SNES Mario games weren't capable of 8x8 tile layouts. For me, doing an 8x8 grid layout in a game that's supposed to re-create the feel of a game that originally never had tiles placed on a 8x8 grid (without excessive modding) completely kills it.

18. TiagoDu

What do you think about vertical scrolling, then?

luigiman64 likes this.
  19. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I'm personally all for it. It will allow people to create levels based on SMB2USA, Metroid, Castlevania, and other games.

luigiman64 and Superjustinbros like this.
  20. Superjustinbros

Seconded. SMB2U and SMB3 were able to do it (though with SMB2U it was a Mega Man-styled screen scroll) on the NES.

Mitewing likes this.