Level Editor - Discussion / Suggestions

Discussion in 'Features' started by J Squared, May 24, 2010.

1. CowboyJoseph64

CowboyJoseph64 Level 6: Lakitu

Ohmygosh best idea ever. I'm always a sucker for level creators. I like SMBX, for example.

Although it'll be mixed feelings when it finally arrives. Happy because of obvious reasons!!! :D

Sad because there will be no more updates. :cry:

2. Mariofan5000

Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu

I think Jay said it would be one of the last things he would put in the game, since sbq92 is currently developing the game, it shouldn't be the last update.

huang17 likes this.
  3. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

At this point that might not even be relevant anymore. That was said a very long time ago.

4. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

Another thread where I come in 10 pages in and probably repeat something somebody brought up already!

You should be able to limit levels to certain characters, as well as set blocks to always drop certain items for certain characters. For example, I might make a level where the player can only use Sophia and set a block at the beginning to always drop the Hover upgrade, and then make a level focused around said upgrade.

On another note, if items from other games are included along with this I'm totally making a Simon-only level where you get the Holy Water and an SMB2US magic carpet and have to deploy death from above an army of Hammer Bros. while Bullet Bills flood in from the right.

luigiman64 and mariofan2020 like this.
  5. CowboyJoseph64

wow, I am so god damn surprised this is still dead with the confirmed level creator and all. Well, I just rejuvenated it.

EPIC IRRESPONSIBLE BUMP FTW!!!

I've always... I mean... what the hell... why did I make this post, I'm completely blank. No, seriously, I don't know why anymore. Ugh... -.-

6. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

the what
    THE WHAT
    WHAT

7. Beed28

Beed28 Level 5: Spiny

Where was it confirmed?

8. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

post number one in this thread
    [​IMG]
    all we can do is hope though, considering smbc's coma-ness

9. CowboyJoseph64

Guys, I know I heard someone at ER somewhere say somewhat recently that they're gonna make a level editor for sure. Hell, in one of the bug pages, I heard they used said level editor to make special and lost levels. I may be getting mixed up, but I think I can at least find that page... hold on, I'm going to edit this post if this was a false alarm.

Edit: I think the bug was about lava appearing in the walls in a certain difficulty...

10. Faruga

Patron

I think they said it was too user unfriendly for public use.

CowboyJoseph64 likes this.
  11. CowboyJoseph64

Yeah, I read an old post a while ago saying the pipe warps were too complicated to set up. They probably made it more simple by now, tho

anyways, people, I swear to god I heard this confirmation recently somewhat, with jay saying we had to download something besides flash for it to work... again, I may have forgotten something about it that makes it not worth the commotion, but I swear to god...

12. Faruga

Patron

as far as we know they haven't been working on smbc since december

13. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I just hope we get a bunch more skins before or when the editor is released.

CowboyJoseph64 likes this.
  14. Christian Lee Gilley

Christian Lee Gilley Level 3: Paratroopa

My opinion on the editor, once the final is release and all, How will the Level Editor act? Like...
    1. SMB Utility, a level editor for SMB for NES
    2. the SMB relo... whatever it's called. The Mario Deluxe Level editor
    3. YYmap - a level editor for SMB
    4. Like that of Mario Portals.
    Four possibilities

15. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

It'll act like a level editor. It's not rocket science.

Faruga and Omicron like this.
  16. Mitewing

I hope it's not just a level editor but a character editor too.

17. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

That's kind of extreme, character behavior and values are generally hardcoded into mid and low-level languages.

Depends on the programming style, but there's a big chance it is here.

Faruga and MissingNo2 like this.
  18. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

Yea I know and a fix on Bartz portrait where the official portrait is used and maybe this for the bridge music.

But either way more skins would be nice.

19. Mitewing

I'm not talking about appearance or hardcore behavior. I'm talking about which powerups are available, what's associated with the Mushroom, and minor powerup attributes at best.

20. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

"but I know for sure they're updating SMBC one more time with a level editor."

I would suggest not spreading this around, because at this point nobody knows for sure what is going on, nothing is confirmed right now, ERs plans have changed so many times that a post from half a year or even longer ago may not really be relevant any more.

The only person who was still working on SMBC is no longer on the team, they have a Kickstarter completed for a game they can't make right now, we're still waiting months to hear about the vague plans for smaller games and projects. The level editor was "confirmed" way before any of this stuff happened and priorities changed.

Mitewing and Omicron like this.