Request Link: Boomerang kills Spiny Eggs and Flying Cheep-Cheeps

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Sep 19, 2013.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

In Zelda games, the Boomerang only stuns most enemies, but can kill small, flying ones, like Keese. In SMBC, Spiny Eggs and Flying Cheep-Cheeps are airborne, annoying, and have little HP, which makes them the SMBC equivalent of Keese. Therefore, I think the Boomerang should kill them, rather than stun them like everything else.

2. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

That makes sense, but I think it would make him too OP in some levels, no?

3. TheomanZero

How, exactly? It's hard to aim the Boomerang at a fast-moving target. I figure you would just toss it every so often to clear the air a bit.
    (And note that I said Spiny Eggs -- once they hit the ground, the Boomerang would only stun them.)

4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

The Spiny Eggs are technically just Spinies in a different form. On some skins they even use the same graphics as the Spinies themselves.

I'm not sure how easy this would be. The Boomerang doesn't have any damage associated with it. I'll consider looking into it, though.

5. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Thinking better now, you're right. There are other characters with much better projectiles so I'm okay with this.

6. TheomanZero

Sorry, I thought Spinies and Spiny Eggs were separate entities. I'm not sure where I got that idea.
    I was sort of thinking that it wouldn't do damage; it would kill in one hit or do no damage at all, like the Screw Attack.

7. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Screw Attack actually does damage, too, it just does max damage. Its damage value is int.MAX_VALUE, which uses the maximum value an integer can be. Technically it could have just been 10,000 or something, but the max value works, too.

I'm not sure if it's possible (or at least easy) to make the boomerang simply kill or not kill something on contact. It might be possible to simply call the "death" class when it hits certain enemies.

Faruga likes this.
  8. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I don't think I've ever seen you talk as programmerishly as that before XD

huang17 and sbq92 like this.
  9. TheomanZero

I don't really know how damage and death work in the code of SMBC. I only brought up what I did because I'm pretty sure that's how Keese and the Boomerang work in LoZ games.

MissingNo2 and Faruga like this.
  10. TheomanZero

After thinking it over a bit more, Icicles are another "small, aerial enemy", so maybe they should be included, too.

(Oh, and sorry for double-posting. I tried making a new post to update the topic, then deleting it and editing my last post, but that didn't work, and my last post has two likes so I don't want to delete it.)

Faruga likes this.
  11. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

if 48h then go the fuck ahead

MissingNo2 and Mitewing like this.