Official Link: Downward Thrust!!

Link, from The Legend of Zelda, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

2. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

Whoa I was the first one to report this and no one believed me. Now a lot of people are reporting, probably because the game has more things to make it lag. Something that bothers me a little bit is that my thread is tagged as "not a bug", and the other ones are "confirmed". It makes me remember when I thought it was only me and people thought I was retarded.

3. aliceandsven

I didn't realize it still had that tag, I've been linking the other threads because they have more recent discussion, but I changed the tag :o)

World 1-1 likes this.
  4. Mariofan5000

Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu

shirt_spritersresource_anothercartridge_LRG.jpg
    Would of been better to have posted this at the beginning of development, but better late than never.

Faruga and Mitewing like this.
  5. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Question: Has there been any item in the Zelda games that protects Link from his bombs like the Blue Ring does in SMBC? So far in my research I haven't found any.

Faruga likes this.
  6. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

The Magic Cape did, technically.

Faruga, Rey D and Mitewing like this.
  7. smashbro596

smashbro596 Level 3: Paratroopa

bombproof ring in the oracle games.

Rey D and Mitewing like this.
  8. Mariofan5000

The Bombproof Ring in the Oracle Series does that.
    EDIT: :ryu:'d.

Faruga and Mitewing like this.
  9. Mitewing

Glad to know there's precedence, however I still wished the rings provided elemental based abilities like in Ocarina of Time. The Blue Ring/Tunic could give Link the ability to swim and Red Ring/Tunic could protect him firebars like Samus's Varia Suit.

Mariofan5000 likes this.
  10. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

OoT is cool and all, but it's not the first TLoZ game to change tunic color, so let's not get over-biased by nostalgia there.

11. BTB

Honestly, the firebar protection for the Varia is really gimmicky and I'd like to see a better use for it. The problem is that Samus is already OP, and changing the varia would probably just push her even farther in that direction.

Back on subject, I think the current setups for Link's rings are fine. They're a bit unintuitive, but they make good sense balance-wise.

ThomasMink likes this.
  12. Mitewing

It's not about nostalgia, it's about accuracy to the games. The Rings/Tunics cannot be used the same way in SMBC as they were in the original LoZ, so changes are necessary and should follow some precedence in past games. The Red Ring/Tunic bothers me the most. In my opinion the "Magic" sword should provide the Beam as it's the most powerful sword. So this leaves how the rings/tunics should be used. Looking at Ocarina of Time and Twlight Princess gives better choices.

13. BTB

Well, assuming you didn't want to just have it give Link another layer of protection and allow him to take a second hit, the sword beam actually makes sense since he can only shoot his sword beams when he's at full health.

14. Mitewing

He's at full health when he has the Mushroom actually. Having the SWORD beam powerup associated with a SWORD makes more sense to me. And don't get me started on the Blue Ring/Mushroom combo....:(

15. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Recently I was seized by nostalgia and decided to rewatch a longplay of the first LoZ. I noticed a couple of inaccuracies in Link's SMBC depiction:
    • In LoZ, when you throw a Boomerang at an item, you get it immediately. In SMBC, you have to wait for the Boomerang to carry it back.
    • In LoZ, Arrows can pierce through weak enemies (like Pol's Voices) and keep going, similar to Mega Man's Charge Shot. I don't think they do that in SMBC (otherwise you could break a whole row of bricks).
    Think these are significant enough to care about?

16. Mariofan5000

For some reason arrows in LoZ can also grab items.

ThomasMink and Faruga like this.
  17. aliceandsven

Hmm, that's interesting. Perhaps the arrows can be set to pierce weak enemies, but not blocks?

Mitewing likes this.
  18. Goomba98

Goomba98 Level 3: Paratroopa

I just realized.
    In LInk's Awakening, Link can jump on the Mario cameo enemies with a Roc's Feather (which is the only way of jumping in that game).
    Therefore, he should be able to jump on enemies in SMBC without the cheat to jump on enemies.

Faruga likes this.
  19. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Good point. Link's jump is based on the one in LA.
    But the core character is still from TLoZ, and he has many weapons already.

Faruga likes this.
  20. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Link didn't have a downward thrust in LA, though.

Mitewing and Faruga like this.