Official Link: Downward Thrust!!

Link, from The Legend of Zelda, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

There will be no Link Zelda 2. Juste let me find the post where Jay mentionned all the major reasons.

EDIT: It was on the thread about ideas for existing characters, post #9 by Exploding Rabbit:

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

This is a good idea, and it is similar to an idea I had for Mega Man getting his special weapons. My suggestion for Mega Man could be implemented for Link as well. I suggested that Mega Man gets a new weapon every time he finishes the game on a certain difficulty setting. This could easily be implemented for Link as well:

Super Easy: Magical Boomerang
    Easy: Bow & Arrows
    Normal: Bombs
    Hard: Red Candle
    Extreme: Magic Wand

In this case, the Link still only has the normal Boomerang in his Fire Flower form until he has completed the game on Super Easy. Then the Boomerang is always the Magical Boomerang. Also, for simplicity, the Magic Wand could always be the powered up form of it that shoots fire (although that would obsolete the Candle...).

All of these special weapons would then be accessible any time you play the game, just as Mega Man's special weapons would always be available. IMO, this would be great for added replay value, since you would have to finish the game multiple times with each character to unlock all of their special weapons. It would also force you to finish the game on harder difficulties if you want the better special weapons.

3. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

When attacking downwards as level 2 Link, he flashes green for a frame.

I don't know if I want to have to unlock weapons for the characters. It wasn't in their original games and you can't rank the weapons of most of their games. Most of the time, they are good for different situations.

Also, I have a few questions regarding that system

1. If you from the beginning played through the game on Extreme as a character, would you still have to play the other difficulty settings to get his other stuff? That would be tedious as not only would enemies be weaker, but you would have an extremely powerful weapon to dispose of them as well, so it would be less challenging, resulting in less replay value.
    2. Would you have to do it in Single Character Mode?
    How do you quote replies from locked threads?

4. sbq92

In a sense, you do unlock the weapons in the original games. For example, Link finds his weapons as he plays through, and Mega Man has to defeat bosses to get the weapons.

This is a good point, and I've thought about it before. When you finish the game on a certain difficulty, should it unlock everything from just that difficulty level or from that one and all below it? I'm a bit torn on this one. The whole idea behind this system is the replay value, but you are right in saying that unlocking the best weapon first will make the easier difficulties less enjoyable. That is one of the main drawbacks of this method. On the other hand, if you do get all the weapons from the lower difficulties, you've unlocked even more weapons in one go, and then all the other difficulties are even easier, but you would have all the weapons and you could simply enjoy the game with everything unlocked. It's a toss-up.

I'm not sure about this one, but I would probably say yes. Allowing All Characters mode could let you just breeze through the game with a powerful character like SOPHIA III and then just play the last level as a different character and get the reward for finishing the game as that character. That doesn't seem right. If All Characters mode were to be allowed, I would say it should probably keep track of who was used the most and then unlock that character's weapon. And then if there's a tie, it unlocks the weapon of the most recently used. I do think Single Character mode would be the best option for this feature, though.

5. Scorpion42

But in the original games you get them during gameplay, not after it. They are elements heavily tied to the story in my opinion.

There would have to be unlocks for All, Survival and Single Random too.

The original games offered replay value in the form of high difficulty and a "Second Quest"

6. sbq92

That's true, you get them throughout the game. Getting new weapons at the end of each world is another option. The main drawback with that idea is that you presumably only have them for that playthrough, so then you only have the best weapons for a world or two. Alternatively, the weapons could remain in your inventory forever (after playing through and obtaining the weapons and finishing the game once). This could work, especially since warping would prevent you from getting some weapons, since you would have to finish each world to get a new weapon. This doesn't work well for every character, though, since some characters (like Bill) only have a couple more weapons to be added to their arsenal.

I'm not sure if this would be necessary. The difficulty-unlocking idea forces you to play as specific characters if you want to unlock their stuff. They would have the unlocked special weapons in all play modes, though.

I have another idea, but I'm going to post it in the Weapon System thread.

7. Scorpion42

I think my main problem is that I don't like tying specific weapons to specific modes. I really just think you should either start with weapons, get them from mushrooms and fireflowers, have them drop from an enemy or not have them at all.

Maybe I'm contradicting myself here, but I think Link should be able to buy his weapons from the toads he rescues. He could use rupees randomly dropped from monsters, and the items could have the same prizes as in the original game.

8. sbq92

My main reason for tying weapons to different difficulties was that some weapons are clearly more powerful than others. Sure, there is some subjectivity when it comes to decided which weapons are obtained from which difficulties, but generally, the stronger the weapon, the higher the difficulty should be. For example, the Magic Wand is superior to the Red Candle, and therefore it should be obtained on a higher difficulty. Arrows vs. Bombs, however, is a more difficult decision, since while Bombs are generally stronger, Arrows could have more frequent opportunities for use.

Did you read the post I linked to in the other thread?

9. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I've probably mentioned this before, but I am against weapon unlocks based on game difficulty. They should be unlocked after each world mainly because that's how the original games, like Mega Man were made. I agree that more powerful weapons should be unlocked in later worlds. Weapons like bombs and arrows can have their power balanced by limiting how often enemies drop their "ammo" and how many each drop gives you.

10. Scorpion42

I still stand by my idea.

Not at first, but I've replied now.

11. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I have a minor suggestion for Link: Make the Magical Boomerang part of his Super Mushroom instead of his Fire Flower. I feel like Link's Mushroom doesn't make him all that much better, but his Fire Flower gives him two cool things at once. Getting the Boomerang upgrade earlier would make the progression more smooth. (If you want, you could compensate for this by moving the Magic Shield from the Mushroom to the Fire Flower.)

12. sbq92

I like this idea. I will say, though, that the Magic Shield is just for show, so moving that around doesn't really seem necessary. However, it could potentially still be done.

13. Scorpion42

It will almost certainly be done. I really hope so, anyway.

14. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

As far as Link goes I like the idea of new weapons as the game progresses if a proper menu screen is introduced in fact bombs could be pick ups and arrows either the same or ala Zelda 1 use coins like rupees.

As far as Zelda 2 Link/Adult Link as a pun to Super Smash Bros. and Ocarina of Time goes he could work in a different and much more positive way. Like suggested he could be as a secret version of Link press the special button. Which reminds me a bit like Mortal Kombat Trilogy press a secret button to change from more popular newer more detailed sprites to the classic less detailed originals from MK1. Also if to make it more zeldaish after choosing Zelda1/Young Link press z e l d a or right A down right A down and if you press the buttons fast enough you hear... And as for weapons what? He didn't have boomerangs and such in Zelda 2 damn what a drag lets just forget I ever suggested him. Not LOL!!!

He would have a magic bar this would make up for the lack of weapons. Six segments I guess would be fair enough. The magic is in order of corresponding level
    Spell=========MP cost=====Effect
    Jump=========1 segment===Higher or maybe double jump for a whole level.
    Spell=========2 segments==Turn all enemies on screen except Bowser in to Goombas
    Reflect=======4 segments==Reflect Bowser's flames. Only useful in castles 1 to 5 and 8.
    Fairy=========5 segments==Fly over one level one hit kills you. Use caution with flying hammers or Lakitu.
    Life==========6 segments==Upgrades Link to mushroom blue/flower red depending on status.
    Fire==========3 segments==Shoot fire for duration of level.
    Thunder=======4 segments==Kills all enemies on screen/Bowser becomes giant Hammer Bro splits into group when hit.
    Shield========6 segments==Upgrades Link to Flower red.

Of course Thunder could half Bowser's life but I just think my Idea is cool. Plus beating the game could unlock all spells as a cheat. Magic bottles to be fair blue only would randomly drop after defeating normal enemies. Defeating Bowser before grabbing the axe would always give you a red bottle as a reward. Instead of infinite ammo cheat working for this there could be an infinite magic cheat for any future spell based characters for casting a lot of spells or using MP. Young Link could have a cheat to unlock all weapons after game completion.

Finally just as a possible enemy or NPC skin NPC meaning Toad and Peach for both versions could be old man for Young Link who could possibly give Link an item Link will hold over his head like in Zelda games. 8-4 Young Zelda would give Link the Triforce. Wizards would appear for Adult Link and instead you get the traditional message. Thank you Link but our princess is in another castle. Followed by a flashing screen as shown when receiving magic in Zelda 2 along with sound effect. And 8-4 Adult Zelda gives Link the Triforce. But all this is up to Jay.

15. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I suggested that because it's just for show. Currently Link gets two items per powerup (Mushroom: White Sword and Magic Shield, Fire Flower: Magic Sword and Magical Boomerang). I just want to switch the Magical Boomerang and Magic Shield so that his power level has smoother progression, but he still gets two items per powerup (Mushroom: White Sword and Magical Boomerang, Fire Flower: Magic Sword and Magic Shield).

16. Scorpion42

But it would really suck if you had just collected 100 coins because then you couldn't afford it. That's why I suggested implementing rupees.

Jay hates Zelda 2, so he won't happen, sadly.

17. sbq92

Does he hate Zelda II or does he just dislike Link from Zelda II?

18. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I believe it's the latter, but I also think Zelda II was his least favorite BECAUSE of that Link.
    I might be completely wrong.

19. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

You exaggerate! He just, like, don't like controls, sprites and attacks. ...Ok, you can say that he somewhat hates him, but I'd rather say "dislikes" because he did try to put Link from Zelda II in SMBC after all!

20. Scorpion42

What really annoys me is that he didn't like that he had to crouch to hit goombas even though Bill has to crouch to hit goombas as well! (except with spreadgun.) And that he tried not to grab mushrooms to stay small even though Mario grows in size when picking up a fireflower as well!