Official Link: Downward Thrust!!

Link, from The Legend of Zelda, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Am I the one who doesn't like the music choices for Link?

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Well, Link doesn't have that many options in terms of 8-bit music (unless you want to allow Game Boy/Game Boy Color games, which I think is considered cheating) so I don't really see what alternatives there would be. That said, I think his current music is fine.

3. Crownjo

I guess I am the only one who thinks that is incorrect... You would be surpised on the choices I would make for Link. It would be much better then the ones used.

4. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Then go ahead and post your ideas! :D I posted some ideas for musics myself (in Simon's thread).

5. Crownjo

I am not gonna do the whole thing. I am only using the ones that would need the change

Night levels -

Underwater -

Time running out -

6. TheomanZero

. . . Huh. Those actually do sound much better suited to their levels.

Okay, I'm behind you all the way with these. Sorry for doubting you.

7. Crownjo

It's all good dude. :)

Thank you everyone for the support.

8. Rey D

Patron

Hm... do not match correctly, but good choices.
    One thing I must point: Jay do not put musics from Famicom. Only NES, so the "time running out" theme you proposed can't be in.
    I like the dungeon music, but I don't think it would be nice for the underwater though, because it's a short loop and it would fastly get annoying since underwater levels last quite long. And I prefer the current one for these. ;)
    For night levels, no opinion.

9. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Why do you think that? Lost Levels was for the Famicom, and Luigi is gonna be in the next update.

10. Rey D

Patron

Hum that's right. However, musics are currently from NES and NES only.
    But wasn't Luigi in the original Super Mario Bros.?

11. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Yes, but he was just a reskin of Mario. In the Lost Levels, he jumps higher and has less traction.

12. Rey D

Patron

Ah yeah that's totally right. Well, The Lost Levels should have been SMB2 so it's special.

13. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Isn't the Famicom just the japanese NES?

14. Crownjo

You gotta be kidding me. It's much better then the other themes used. They don't flow right. Kinda like Mega Man's Day levels.

15. bnjay29

bnjay29 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Damn right it should have! The nerve of NOA to say us American gamers weren't up to par with Japanese gamers to handle this game when it first came out!

Yes that's it exactly

16. TheomanZero

The Famicom was the Japanese NES. However, there was also a peripheral for the Famicom called the Famicom Disk System or FDS that had no American counterpart (due to rampant piracy). It was the FDS that Lost Levels was released for, as were Zelda and Zelda II in Japan, but they were adapted to the NES for their American releases (when it says "Famicom Edition" it must mean "Famicom Disk System Edition").
    As for whether it can be used . . . I'm not opposed to using FDS music on principle, especially since there doesn't seem to be an equivalent of that song in the NES version and it sounds really appropriate for "Time Running Out". However, I believe SMBC uses some sort of NES Audio emulator for its sound, so that might cause technical problems (I believe the FDS had slightly better audio capabilities than the NES).

17. bnjay29

I recall the Famicom system having better graphics as well for its time. Like in Contra for example, the Japanese version of the first stage had the trees blowing in the wind in the background, and the floor of the last stage pulsed as if it were alive. There was even an a short clip of Bill and Lance boarding their helicopter before the scene where it flies away as the island explodes.

Why such cool features were omitted in outside releases I will never know.

18. Rey D

Patron

Well I have kinda special tastes in matter to listen to music. ;)
    But for the dungeon theme, I'd rather play it for the Castle levels.

19. TheomanZero

There's actually a translation patch of the Japanese version of Contra, if you're interested.

20. bnjay29

I would be very interested as a matter of fact!