Official Link: Downward Thrust!!

Link, from The Legend of Zelda, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I just sent you a PM with a link. I thought it might violate forum policy to post a link to a website with ROMs.

2. Jason Olmsted

Jason Olmsted Level 0: Newbie

I think a dash attack sounds cool maybe give him a spin attack

3. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Dash attack has been said overpowered or has to be modified first, if I remember well.
    For the Spin Attack, it'd be no use in SMBC.

4. Zyborg

Zyborg Level 5: Spiny

About the name of this thread...

...I've always wondered. Shouldn't the Downward Thrust be more powerful. I mean, it is weaker than a stomp, but it is basically a stomp focused into the point of the sword. Stomp+Sword < Stomp? Though, being able to bounce off of spiked enemies and use a Bullet William as a bridge across big chasms is epic. DTMF indeed.

5. TheomanZero

I agree that it doesn't make sense. However, a stomp either kills in one hit or is ineffective. How could something be more powerful than that?
    The Down Thrust is more useful because it works on spiked enemies and underwater, as well as allowing you to ride Bullets Bill. Thus when you use it instead of the stomp, you trade power for utility. Anyway, in Zelda II the Down Thrust and Up Thrust had the same power (I think), and you can't really justify giving that much power to the Up Thrust.

6. megaman fan13

megaman fan13 Level 3: Paratroopa

i agree with MDK

link FTW

bow and arrow FTW

+bombs

link would be over powered if you let him have his full inventory

7. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

@megaman fan13 You can't post five times straight. That's why we have the "Edit button". Make use of it.

Rey D likes this.
  8. megaman fan13

megaman fan13 Level 3: Paratroopa

thanks for the info

9. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

If Link had multiple weapons, here's what I think would happen.

Basically, instead of getting the weapons for defeating worlds, you would find the weapons via exploration. Like for example pushing aside a block, and an item would appear, coupled a sound effect from the original Zelda.

You would use items to get other items, like for example using the Blue Candle to burn a bush (part of the background), revealing a staircase you could go down, leading to one of those rooms in the original Zelda that had items. If it was my decision, here's the order you would find the items, information about them, how to find them, and edited screenies to clarify their place:

Blue Candle
    Produces a flame that can damage enemies and/or burn shrubbery in the background. Can only be used once per stage.
    Found inside one of the invisible blocks in World 1-4; comes out of the block like a Fire Flower, except with the Zelda sound effect instead of the Mario sound effect.
    World 1-4.gif

Bombs
    Explode after two seconds, possibly damaging enemies and destroying certain blocks.
    Dropped by enemies.

Bow
    Shoots arrows to damage enemies.
    Found by blowing a hole (using a Bomb) in the back of the giant staircase in World 3-1. Enemies sometimes drop arrows after bow is obtained.
    World 3-1.gif

Whistle
    Plays a sound with varying effects.
    Found by shooting an arrow in the top entrance of the starting castle of World 4-1.
    World 4-1.gif

Magic Wand
    Fires a wave of magic in the pressed direction.
    Found by blowing the whistle while above the clouds in World 5-2. Drops down from the sky. (Map shows where the Magic Wand will land)
    Bonus Area.gif

Power Bracelet
    Allows you to push aside certain blocks, accessing other items.
    Found by burning the third mushroom in World 6-3.
    World 6-3.gif

Raft
    Allows you to cross water. Used to save yourself if fallen into water, and to skip over Worlds 2-2 and 7-2.
    Found by pushing aside (requires Power Bracelet) a block in World 7-2.
    World 7-2.gif

Stepladder
    Allows you to cross one block gaps.
    Found by using the Raft to float to the top of the water section of World 8-4, jumping off of it, and going all the way to the right.
    World 8-4.gif

If you beat the game and start over, you will have all the items you collected, making them useful, and adding to replay value of the game.

ZeroXBeoulve likes this.
  10. TheomanZero

It's an interesting idea, but it sounds like it would require programming new objects (burnable bushes, movable blocks) and adding new areas to the levels that are only used by one character. It really sounds like it would be more appropriate to a "Link in Super Mario Bros."-type fangame, rather than a game which puts several different characters into a largely unaltered Super Mario Bros.

Ganymede and Rey D like this.
  11. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

You do have a point, but it's just something I thought of that might interest Jay.

12. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

I don't want stuff to only be aquirable in certain worlds, like where we have to edit levels to make them gettable, know what I mean?

13. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Link should start with boomerang and bow. Arrows should cost 5 coins each. Bombs are from enemy drops and the magic boomerang should remain as the fire flower powerup.

14. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I think there's a thread where we can talk about that kind of thing. Can't get my hand on it.

15. Scorpion42

Coins and rupees are not the same thing. What if you suddenly reach 100 coins? Then you can't use your bow!

Rey D likes this.
  16. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

That sounds like a strategy call. Arrows or 1-up? It isn't unbalanced.

Mitewing likes this.
  17. Mitewing

Exactly! It would be strategic and prevent Link from being too overpowered.

18. Ganymede

Ganymede Level 5: Spiny

I agree that the coins-for-arrows system would sort of self-balance, but I think that if such a system were to be put in place, the exchange rate could stand to take a hit. Link had the ability to carry many more than 100 rupies, so 5 more trivial after a time, maybe 2 or 3 coins? That's assuming these arrows would just be for range, and wouldn't be crazy overpowered. And of course, all of this is hypothetical. :3

19. Scorpion42

Can't you put it somewhere else?

Bow and Arrow should use rupees, rupees should drop from enemies. That's my opinion.

It should at least be toggleable.

20. Mitewing

Although Rupees are used for arrows in Zelda, they're not the currency in the Mushroom Kingdom. My preference is using the coins but either way would work. Also the cost of coins for each arrow would be determined by how powerful it is.