Official Link: Downward Thrust!!

Link, from The Legend of Zelda, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

If you're not going to use coins as ammo for the bow (and I agree that there would be issues if you did), then you might as well just use arrows instead of rupees. I mean, there was an arrow item in the original LoZ, and powering the bow with rupees was only interesting because they were also used as currency.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  2. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Coins aren't the currency in the Mushroom Kingdom either! At least not in Super Mario Bros.

3. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Coins are currency. Coins are in the game. No need to make it more complicated.

4. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Well, they're currency in any Mario game that has shops. I'd say there's enough precedent to consider them currency retroactively.

5. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Exactly. Anyway, they will be Rupees if you play with a Zelda skin.

Mitewing likes this.
  6. Mitewing

Since I imagine Link should always have the bow, like the boomerang, arrows should be weaker than his swor, unless it costs many coins to use. Bombs should be stronger though. An idea I had is if he has Fireflower, the arrows are upgraded to silver and the boomerang is changed to the magical one.

7. TheomanZero

His Boomerang already becomes Magical when he has a Fire Flower. (Though personally, I think it should be moved to the Super Mushroom.)

8. Mitewing

Sorry. That's actually what I meant about the boomerang. It should change with the mushroom. This leaves the silver arrows for the fireflower.

9. Scorpion42

So what, the bow replaces the boomerang? That's snot good, arrows are not nearly as useful.

10. TheomanZero

I think he (she?) intends Link to have both the bow and the boomerang, though I'm not sure how that would work out, control-wise.

Mitewing likes this.
  11. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Use "they". :D

I think if arrows were to be added, they should work just like missiles: dropped by ennemies and stocked in a limited place in Link's inventory.

12. Mitewing

I meant the boomerang, bow, and bombs would be selectable from an inventory menu just like LoZ. The bow and boomerang are selectable from the start. Bombs have to be acquired from enemies. The mushroom upgrades the boomerang and fire flower upgrades the arrows. I want to Link and all other characters as close to their original game as possible.

13. Scorpion42

So do I, but it just seems wierd if stuff appears in and disappears from the inventory regularly.

14. TheomanZero

I think getting into inventory menus is straying too far from the original SMB formula.

15. Mitewing

Stuff wouldn't be disappearing from the menu. At the most the graphic for the boomerang and arrow would change depending on your powerup status.

So what if SMB didn't have menus, it's all about making the guest characters play as accurate as possible and I don't think menus or inventory would compromise that.

16. TheomanZero

What it would compromise is the flow of the gameplay. Having to pause all of the time to switch equipment would break up the platforming action. The Legend of Zelda (the original, at least) was a lot slower and more cerebral than Super Mario Bros -- for one thing, SMB has a time limit to encourage you to keep moving. Inventory menus are for games with puzzle or combat emphasis, not straightforward platformers.

17. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

Something I'd like to mention:
    1. Power up Link to Mushroom or Fire Flower mode.
    2. Swing your sword down.
    3. Link will turn green for half a second during the animation.

18. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

That's a glitch which has been mentioned (If I remember well). And why THERE?! Why not in the bugs/glitches thread?! (I tested many times a long time ago)

19. TheomanZero

20. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

I'm sorry. I've always been hasty, and not checking about stuff like this. I'll remember next time. :)

Rey D likes this.