Request Link: Famicom music for some Skins

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Sep 29, 2013.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

The Legend of Zelda was one of those games that used an expansion chip for better sound in Japan, but was converted to the standard NES sound chip for the American release. Since there are three Skins representing the original LoZ (Link, Zelda, and Old Man), how about at least one of them uses the Famicom soundtrack instead? (I know that some of the Castlevania III-based skins in the game use the Famicom soundtrack while others use the NES soundtrack.)

I think that only some of the songs are actually different between the versions, including the title screen theme, the Death Mountain theme, and the end credits music. The Famicom version has a somewhat lighter sound than the NES version, using chimes and faux-flutes, and not holding some of the notes for as long. It also has different sound effects, though I think most of the NES sound effects are better (another reason to include both).

Unfortunately, I can't think of any obvious way that the three skins would correspond to the two soundtracks. Maybe the Old Man should be different from the other two because they have SNES and GB versions and he doesn't? Or perhaps the lighter tones of the Famicom soundtrack would suit Princess Zelda better, while the guys get the firmer sounds of the NES? If anyone has any good ideas, post them here.

For more info on the different soundtracks (including sound clips), look here.

(P.S.: If there's ever a second Zelda II-based skin, one of them should get that Famicom soundtrack.)

Mitewing, Rey D, Frozsoul and 2 others like this.
  2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Zelda is a recurrent, yet unique character from the series, so I suggest setting the potential Famicom soundtrack to her, if not to both her and Old Man.

3. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

Between this, Samus, and Trevor at the very least, I think we just need to add "Famicom" as an additional Music Console option. Anything that used the extra Famicom sounds or an expansion chip gets the FC music, everyone else just has the same music as if the console was set to NES.

TheomanZero likes this.
  4. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Zelda did not use an expansion chip. The FDS did.

5. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Sorry. It's hard for me to keep track.

Faruga likes this.
  6. CowboyJoseph64

CowboyJoseph64 Level 6: Lakitu

wait

first the samus one

now the link one

Items.PNG

and then call it "FDS music for some skins"