Verifying Link low jumps

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by losticus, Feb 28, 2012.

1. losticus

losticus Level 0: Newbie

I've noticed that link cant complete the first stage due to low jump animation he cant pass the pipes just before the 1st invisible 1up.

Anders Chirstensen likes this.
  2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

→ But played that stage several time with no problem.

Check this out if you don't believe me:

I guess you didn't notice that Link's jump height is controlled by how long you press the JUMP button. Try again.

TheomanZero likes this.
  3. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Dude, I've gone through the whole game as Link, I have no idea what you or anyone else is talking about when they csay Link can't reach platforms or make jumps. Yes he can.

TheomanZero likes this.
  4. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

That's why this thread was uploaded as a GLITCH. Sometimes Link will suddenly jump a little lower than he should, and it will persist until the game is reloaded. I've also had it happen to Mega Man, but it's usually Link. And it's been there as far back as 1.2 (although it happened less).

Anders Chirstensen likes this.
  5. Rey D

Patron

→ I wonder what causes this, then, because it has never happenened to me.

6. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

I guess this was already reported...

... by myself. It's right here.

But then they said the same things above. It was classified as "Not a bug", because it didn't happened to anyone. Only me. And you now. And it's not happening to me anymore. Actually, when this bug happens, which is extremely rare, you probably can't finish many levels. Check this out:

7. Nemephosis

Well, I would love to see a video of this in action. One other person does not constitute "a bunch of people", but if concrete proof can be provided, it should be enough for Jay to look into it.

Just to reaffirm... you're holding down the jump button when you jump, yes? Some characters (Bill, Ryu) have a fixed jump height and will always jump their max height, most do not, and you have to hold the jump button to jump higher.

Yes, this is a dumb question akin to the troubleshooting "do you have it plugged in" but every once in a while, no, they don't have it plugged in...

edit: Can you recreate it at all? If you loaded a save file, open it in Notepad and copy/paste it into a spoiler here so we can try it.

Rey D likes this.
  8. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I've never experienced this glitch myself, but it sounds pretty serious. Hopefully we can figure out what's causing it.

9. uglyrodent

Me
    World 1-1
    Two other people who reported it who I forget.

Yeah, that's not "one person".

10. Nemephosis

Yeah, two people "you forget" don''t count, because to me that reads "I'm inflating numbers to make it look like a bigger problem than it is".

11. uglyrodent

One of them is Losticus, who made this thread.
    Jyokogawa also reported it.

I'm not gonna lie to get my way.

Frozsoul and Rey D like this.
  12. Nemephosis

There you go, thanks. Alright then, I rescind my comment.

I would still like to know some steps if this can be recreated, eg if it was a save file that was loaded, can it be copy-pasted so we can try it, etc.

13. Rey D

Patron

Hopefully someone who has a working video-recording program will encounter this and will record that bug, because it sounds pretty unconvenient.

14. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Jesus christ dude was it that big of a deal? The issue here is verifying this bug, not grilling people for names.

Until a video turns up you could try reproducing it yourself, or just play Link some more and see if it happens and be wary of the conditions as you play.

15. Nemephosis

It was, yes. Otherwise I could have been all like "yeah, there's a lot of people having this problem with Sophia not getting powerups with our game saves, and since lots of us have problems can someone look into it faster, kthx". Accountability is a nice thing to have these days.

Also it has never happened to me, hence why I'm asking if it was a game save thing, so I can see it for myself (you know, so that people don't say "nobody is seeing this" and get it marked as "not a bug" and all that)

16. uglyrodent

I'll see if I can record something, but it happens at random, so I can't make any promises.

17. Nemephosis

How does it happen? Like, is it a jump-by-jump basis? Or does it last for the entire game, or just one life?

18. uglyrodent

Once it happens, to my knowledge, it lasts every jump until the game is reloaded (i.e. the page is refreshed). It might go away on a life, but honestly once it starts happening I'm not around long enough to find out.

With Mega Man you can occasionally make jumps, but just barely, and it happens about one time out of 15. With Link I think they're completely undoable.

19. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

I don't know why it happens with certain frequency to some and with most people it never happened.

20. uglyrodent

Well it might not be a game bug and it might depend on the machine used. I know my computer could run better, and that might be causing it.