Official Link & LoZ Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Jay, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Discuss and post Zelda skins here.

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

After trying a few different things with Zelda skins, I decided Zelda II graphics look best. The graphics from LoZ are just not designed for a side-scroller.

Here is my skin for the Auto-Tiler.

EDIT: If/when I make changes to the tileset, I update this link.
    [​IMG]

3. Jay

Can you post some screen shots of the tiles in a level so that I know what they look like in game? Thanks.

4. c2456

c2456 Level 6: Lakitu

I need to mess around with it.

5. sbq92

Here are 1-1, 1-2, and 3-1, all done using my own tileset from Ryuza's Auto-Tiler.

I had to improvise a bit for the background of 1-1. Where the bushes normally are, there are rows of grass, and where the hills normally are, there are taller stems of grass sticking up.

The underground cave area for 2-2 is quite dark, but it looks pretty awesome, IMHO.

I like how 3-1 turned out. It's a desert at night, which is pretty sweet.

That's it for now. I've got other things to do, so I can't necessarily get to more for a bit. I hope these help give an idea of how the levels will look, Jay. :)

6. Jay

Looks awesome. Good job.

7. sbq92

Thank you. :)

EDIT: This was my 200th post. Just sayin'. :p

8. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

Glad to see my Auto-Tiler put to good use :)

I'm really liking your version of 3-1, looks great.

9. sbq92

Thanks!

Doing these skins really makes me want to playtest them, just to see how they'd look in-game. Unfortunately that's not an option yet, but it will be very nice to play with the skins once they're finally incorporated into SMBC.

EDIT: I know I said I have lots of other things to do, but I figured there was one more important skin to show a sample of, and that's the underwater levels. So, here's 2-2. :)

10. Luigifan2010

Luigifan2010 Level 1: Goomba

So when you play as the character these will take effect? Cool =D

11. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

Not exactly--if Jay's going to implement these, we still dunno if he will, it'll work like the Music Set. You can change it up to show X Character's levels all the time, et cetara.

12. sbq92

I'm quite certain they are being implemented. I'll say they'd better be. It's a lot of work putting these skins together!

Also, I think the way it's going to work is that you have to finish the game with the character before his or her level skins become "active," and you can then turn them off and on as you like. Of course, that my just be my opinion on how it ought to work rather than it being the actual plan Jay has in mind...

13. I think they look amazing, (just saw them for the first time today) thanks for putting so much effort into this :D

14. Jay

Yes, they'll be in the game. I'm working on the implementation right now. It's going to be sweet.

15. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

It's just awesome, really. Just one thing I noticed while playing. The furter you play in a world, the bigger is the castle at the end of each level. I'm sure there's a way to put that, but the castle in 1-2 have to be bigger than the 1-1 castle.

16. sbq92

Actually, it's just the castles at the end of the 4th level in each world that are larger. The castles for the first three levels are always the same size.

17. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Oh yeah? I'll give it a look.

18. Ryuza

Ryuza Level 6: Lakitu

Yeah, there are only two castle sizes, we've got it set up so you can modify the way they look in the skins. Should be pretty cool.

19. sbq92

I'm curious, is there going to be a way to put the little "bumps" of sand as background in the desert levels? It's okay if it's not possible, but I was wondering if it will be.

20. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Waitaminute. I thought level skins were something that you were simply going to make implementable by the user, not something you have to approve. Or did i miss something here?