Official Link & LoZ Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Jay, Jan 25, 2011.

1. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

That looks great! I agree with UR that Quote may be an odd choice for a Link skin, but it definitely looks great! :)

UltraMario3000 likes this.
  2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I guess Cave Story has decided to forever haunt me...

3. SketchMan3

SketchMan3 Level 3: Paratroopa

I know. I figured I'd preserve the integrity of the color palette by not switching to RGB. But if the ER team accepts the idea of having Quote in this game, I'd gladly redo the color scheme with the proper colors if they want me to.

Why Link?

*Link is the only one who is short enough (besides Mario)

*Link's aiming system and general handling in SMBC is very similar to Cave Story. The main advantage Quote has over the other shooter characters in SMBC is that he can shoot down and he has better control when air born. And the other shooter characters have too many extra frills.

*I like the idea of Quote actually slicing with the sword instead of just throwing it

*Link is one of the last ones you'd expect ;)

*It didn't occur to me to use the taller Wii sprites. :S

Seems like everybody is doing Megaman and Bass skins, so I just wanted to spread the love around to some of the more neglected characters.

UltraMario3000, sbq92 and uglyrodent like this.
  4. sbq92

I deem your reasons are acceptable. :p I expect Jay will accept Quote. He's a popular and lovable character. :)

It is nice to see other skins besides Mega Man and Bass. Jay actually said there are enough Mega Man and Bass skins now, so people need to start focusing on others.

5. Dinospy_01

Dinospy_01 Level 5: Spiny
    Exploding Patron

I'm working on some Link skins right now. Well, not skins really, just recolorings. I'm gonna ease myself into this business, since I have absolutely no previous experience working on sprites.

I'll post back here when I finish.

6. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Does someone mind porting this skin?:
    Also:
    I've been waiting to post that for SOOOOOOOO long, but my internet's been fucking around...

So. I think you've all misread the title of the thread. This is what it was meant for:
    Link_Skin_Zelda.png
    YUP! ZELDA SKIN!
    So! The princess thought she had to justify a bit more the presence of her name in the title of the franchise, so she told Link to have a rest in a dungeon so she could rescue him. :p

I had to make, like, A LOT of custom sprites. Almost every sprite of her is custom made. I converted the shield to Zelda's palette and changed the angle in which it is seen. I also made a sort of rapier (quite hard to reproduce as an icon AND thumbnail (big and tiny sprites, one from the original and one for SMBC HUD).

Her portrait was first made from Link's SMBC portrait, but then it was annoying me to try to "convert" every stuff from Link to Zelda so I made it almost all white and made it from almost scratch. It's, as you can see, based on modern Princess Zeldas because I don't really know how she's supposed to look like in old days.

I just noticed I forgot to remove white pixels for some of Zelda's sprites (not the potrait) but that's no big deal, it can easily be removed. All those sprites and the portrait can be edited to make it look better. Enjoy~

7. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Aww... I was planning on doing a Scrooge McDuck skin over Link, but I'm sad to find out that the he's too tall for Link... D:

8. sbq92

Oh man! That is awesome! I would be surprised if that Zelda skin doesn't make it into the game! :D

9. silentshadowxp

May I suggest making light arrows? Zelda's specialty :p

The skin looks awesome BTW!

10. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

→ Thanks, but... Light arrows? Like in Ocarina of Time, wind Waker and Twilight Princess? I'll see what I can do.

Oh and some thoughts about my skin:

11. 1337star

1337star Level 2: Koopa

First post here, so hopefully I'm not doing something wrong. Anyway...

[​IMG]

I started this, but this is really my first time spriting anything so I can't really do custom sprites too well (there are a few half-assed ones on this sheet). So I figured I'd post it here for whomever to finish up if they think there's any merit to it. Or just ignore/rag on it, whichever.

UltraMario3000, Faruga and uglyrodent like this.
  12. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

It could DEFINITELY use a lot of work, but it's actually an EXCELLENT start. I might touch it up, but no promises.

13. BassWins

BassWins Level 6: Lakitu

I could not like it more key word like its a good start as uglyrodent said... :megaman::luigi:

14. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Oh, guess I don't have to make this now. Said I would months ago, before the Link sheet was up.

What is the bone? Wouldn't the "Fly" sprites work better there? (And "Surf" for swimming.) I'd also use the rest of the Pokeball animation for the bomb explosion. If no other better ideas come up, I'd use the other types of Pokeballs or overworld Pokemon sprites for things like arrows and swords. (Such as Snorlax being the stepladder.)

Edit: I get where you are going with the Bonemerang now, but it might be too obscure. I really think Fly would go well with the sound effect.

UltraMario3000 and uglyrodent like this.
  15. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

So on ChozoBoy's idea, I'd like to chime in a few thoughts:
    -Bow/Arrow-Lots of projectiles to choose fro, but I cast my vote for Razor Leaf here. Have to represent a starter, amirite?
    -Boomerang-Actually, I like the Bonemerang idea. Yeah, it's a little hard to catch on to (I certainly didn't until just now), but it makes perfect sense. I think Fly wouldn't work because when used out of combat, it's for travel, and used in combat it requires a delayed turn to use, and neither of these are represented in the boomerang.
    -Stepladder-I agree on Snorlax being fucking great for this
    -Bomb-Pokeball sprites are awesome, but if you don't want to go the "pokeball opening" route, you could keep it as an explosion and pass it off as Voltorb/Electrode using self destruct.
    -Sword-Maybe Tail Whip? Although only pulling out a pokemon's tail for an attack is weird :\
    -Big Shield could be Pokedex maybe?

16. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I still think Fly would be very reminiscent of the Pidgey/bird flying around on the overworld. The boomerang is sort of a two-phase thing, and does delay at the apex of it's distance. I considered Voltorb, but I thought using less Zelda sprites would be preferable.

The Pokedex is a great idea, though it has no side sprite. (I had to recall what it looked like in-game.)

If not, a badge? Two of them could be used for each shield, and two for the rings, too. Don't think it would make it up to eight, though... Maybe if four of the "collect item" images were instead replaced with badges. For example, if we used the Pidgey/bird for the boomerang, the Pokemon Trainer would collect the Thunder Badge and then be able to use it. Boulder could be the shield, Cascade would be Cut (Arrow or sword), etc.

17. nickreaper

nickreaper Level 6: Lakitu

I've been working on a skin for Link. The sprite I used for it was bigger than Link's original sprite, so if it winds up in the game I guess it'll have to be recoded a bit, or likely it just won't be used. There were a few sprites I didn't change because I didn't know what the hell they were.

Looking at it I can tell those sparks are what appear when you die, but I'm just to lazy to change it right now.

Also, the sprite isn't mine, but the guy who created it hasn't logged onto his account on the site I found it on in over four years, so I don't think he'll care.
    [​IMG]

18. silentshadowxp

You might just link to the page so that you give him credit for making it, that's usually all that people who make sprites ask of you to do.

UltraMario3000 and Rey D like this.
  19. nickreaper

nickreaper Level 6: Lakitu

I saved the image file on my computer like a year, year and a half ago. Maybe it was just a couple of months, but I remember that when I first found it that his latest activity dated over two years ago. I would have put a link to the original image but I just can't find it. I used Google search and images, changed the wording, and it won't turn up. I feel kind of bad. I can't even remember his name, but I wouldn't want the sprite to go to waste.

20. silentshadowxp

Found it on here by a guy named seanox.

May I make a suggestion? Make the boomerang Navi!